Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a question for you CT guys...

Post imported post

...is open carry even leagl in your state? explain how it works to me.

i live in PA, and pretty much carry openly when the weather permits. i have family in New Britain, though, and i go up there once in awhile. i've been trying to find out how to get an out-of-state license/permit so i can carry in CT. if i am legal to carry, can i do so openly?

thanks, guys.
    Givin' up the tactical advantage since 2008.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Post imported post

Do you have the non-resident permit to carry pistols and revolvers for CT? If you don't have a permit you're going to run afoul of the laws here. As for open carry, read in some posts further down.

Technically there are no laws forbidding open carry in CT (as long as you have the permit to carry) but people have been arrested for it and had their guns destroyed even though the original charges got dismissed.

Bottom line - if you carry openly in CT there's a good chance you will be a test case for what others in this state are doing to force the powers that be to admit that open carry is not a crime.

Post imported post

Here you go, you can start here. Do not open carry without a permit in CT.

Some would say don't open carryat all even though it is not illegal to do so.

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a...q=294502#forms

Post imported post

Let's face it, OC in this state and you will lose your guns and yourpermit. You may get them back after some court time and lots of money paid to your lawyer but I'm not gonna try it. I support OC and I do what I can to sway lawmakers with e-mails whenever legislation is happening, I wont risk my permit to raise awareness though.

Post imported post

We must be willing to act (within the law) and takerisks to protect, preserve, and restore our freedoms.

People who carry are normally mature, conservative, hard-working, responsible, and law-abiding citizens. Good people like us normally like to live low key / low profile lives. It is not our nature to be vocal or confront, and as armed citizens, I think we typically try to de-escalate or totally avoid hairy situations.I understand and appreciate this attribute that most of us share.

However, at some pointwe must push back against those who want us to be converted into disarmed subjects (sheeple). We must come out of the shadows and educate the government and the public that we are good and responsible citizens....and most importantly....that we will not surrender our liberties!

We need to open carry! But we need to be smart about it and plan postivepublic eventsas a group to minimize the risk of confrontation and revocation.

Hopefully later this spring and summer we can plan open carry community service events....like litter pick-ups and bbqs. Perhaps we could diffuse anypossible confrontation by actually inviting law enforcement personnel and the media to an OCbbq.

In any case, I hope all here will have the courage and motivationto step up and contribute to this effort.

cheers,

Post imported post

Agreed, and having a plan in place includes such things as:

Voice recorder
    Witnesses, pref with video
    2A lawyer ready and waiting
    A general idea of what will be said in the event (run by 2A lawyer ahead of time)
    A general idea of what kind of new motorcycle we want with the settlement (check out the Louisiana section about Mark E Marchafavia's Freedom Bike)

Post imported post

Once you do get your non-resident permit you can carry in Connecticut. Becareful though when you are in New Britain. If you carry a pistol in New Britian you can not carry it concealed. You must carry it openly as they have an ordinance banning the concealment of a semi auto pistol. Revolvers are ok to conceal.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
    Once you do get your non-resident permit you can carry in Connecticut. Becareful though when you are in New Britain. If you carry a pistol in New Britian you can not carry it concealed. You must carry it openly as they have an ordinance banning the concealment of a semi auto pistol. Revolvers are ok to conceal.
    Please provide us with a link to the town ordinance you suggest exists.

Post imported post

bennettprescott wrote:
    JUMPMASTER wrote:
    Please provide us with a link to the town ordinance you suggest exists.
    I don't suggest it exists. It does exsist. Read section 16-80.

http://www.new-britain.net/PDF/NB_ORDINANCES.PDF

I wrote to the Mayor and requested that they drop this ordinance. Please write the mayor a letter requesting the same. Here is the email I sent:

2/2/09

Dear Mr. Mayor,

I am writing to you to request that the City Of New Britain repeal its local ordinance (pasted below)that forbids the concealed carry of pistols. I frequently drive through and conduct business in New Britain and sometimes find it difficult to openly carry my pistol when entering your city limits.It is especially difficult during winter months when I wear a coat or other clothing that falls over my holster. I also fear an over reaction by your citizens orPolice Department to me carrying openly. I feel a complete repeal of the ordinance is proper or at least an exemption be specified for the lawful carrying of a pistol by a person who is licensed and privileged to do so.

Sec. 16-80. Carrying concealed weapons.

(a) No person shall wear under his clothes, or conceal upon or about his person any deadly

or dangerous weapon including, but not limited to any pistol, dagger, metal knuckles,

razor, slingshot, blackjack, sword or canegun. The provisions of this paragraph shall not

apply to any person who is found with any such weapon or implement concealed upon

his person while lawfully removing his household goods or effects from one place to

another, or from one residence to another, nor to any person while actually and

peaceably engaged in carrying any such weapon or implement from his place of abode

or business to a place or person where or by whom such weapon or implement is to be

repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to his place of abode or business

with such weapon or implement after the same has been repaired.

(b) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty.

(Code 1970, ยง 15-12)

The Mayors response:

2/2/09

Keith,

I will pass this information on to my Corporation Counsel's Office for their review. I'm fairly positive that my Police Chief will also like to weigh in on any changes to this section of the Ordinances. I will get back to you with their recommendations.

Timothy T. Stewart

Mayor, City of New Britain

27 West Main Street

New Britain, Ct. 06051

860-826-3303

Post imported post

Hummm let me see, one of the most undesirable places to be without protection and they prohibit it. It is good to know this now as I did not know and carry concealed all the time except when I leave the State, and would not want to do anything that would jeopordize my rights.

Post imported post

AGust82 wrote:
    Let's face it, OC in this state and you will lose your guns and yourpermit. You may get them back after some court time and lots of money paid to your lawyer but I'm not gonna try it. I support OC and I do what I can to sway lawmakers with e-mails whenever legislation is happening, I wont risk my permit to raise awareness though.
    I have been OCing regularly for several months now and I haven't had any problems.

Post imported post

Where in CT do you live Lank?

Post imported post

Norwalk.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Thanks, Jumpmaster. I'd just seen it bandied about like so many other gun forum theories, sorry to see it's actually true.

Post imported post

Lank wrote:
    Norwalk.
    I work in Norwalk and did not know they were OC friendly, have you ever been approached or seen by Police Officers? and also what are did you OC I work in South Norwalk by Maritime Center

Post imported post

I have OCed hundreds of times and have never been approached by any police officers. I don't know if any have ever seen me. Bank security guards don't say anything, but they probably don't count.

I have had only a handful of people ask me about it. And there was one incident in shop rite where I think a woman didn't want to stand behind me in line because I had a gun (I heard her talking to her husband). That's the first time I have ever noticed anyone becoming uncomfortable with it. Girls have tried to hit on me on two occasions ("Wow! I like your holster!", Etc.). A guy working at a sporting goods store asked me if I was a cop once. But most of the time absolutely nothing happens.

Post imported post

If you don't mind my asking, what and how do you OC?

Pistol and holster type? I assume you dress conservatively.

Post imported post

Wow, how do you get a cane gun under your cloaths. Trench coat?
    Disgusting they even would consider that as a problem.

Post imported post

uskrusader wrote:
    If you don't mind my asking, what and how do you OC?

Pistol and holster type? I assume you dress conservatively.

I try to be at least a little careful with what I wear. I used to go a bit overboard I think but now most of the time I just have jeans and a collared shirt. Today I was actually just wearing a t-shirt (tucked in), jeans, and running shoes, but most of the time I have a collared shirt. I just try not to look like a bum.

Pistol is a Five-seveN. Holster is black leather Galco.

I know you're going to say I'm just asking for trouble wearing a 5-7 around since people refer to it as a cop killer gun. B.S., of course - I'm pretty sure no police officer has ever been injured or killed by a 5.7x28 penetrating his vest. I should probably find something different to carry. Right now it's the only thing I got other than a sig mosquito. Maybe when I get an HK45 I'll OC that...

Post imported post

AGust82 wrote:
    I OC when in CT. I dress well, OC a 1911, and I am polite and courteous. Since I am not breaking the law, I don't care who it offends, whether a citizen or an LEO.

I AM willing to "risk my permit".

Post imported post

In the state ofCT cities and towns cannot enforce laws or ordinances that are contrary to state law. The possession of a CT Pistol Permit negates this ordinance. If you are having doubts contact the NB PD and ask them if it is against the law. Additionally, whatever you decide I assure you open carry in the CITY of NEW BRITAIN will get you arrested for BOP or Disorderly even if the case is dropped in court you will still lose your permit and gun (if only temporarily) in the mean time you will get your name in the paper for an arrest, have to hire an attorney and dig deep into your wallet to make them acknowledge your "right".
    Member:, NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry, MRPC and Bell City
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

Post imported post

brk913 wrote:
    In the state ofCT cities and towns cannot enforce laws or ordinances that are contrary to state law. The possession of a CT Pistol Permit negates this ordinance. If you are having doubts contact the NB PD and ask them if it is against the law. Additionally, whatever you decide I assure you open carry in the CITY of NEW BRITAIN will get you arrested for BOP or Disorderly even if the case is dropped in court you will still lose your permit and gun (if only temporarily) in the mean time you will get your name in the paper for an arrest, have to hire an attorney and dig deep into your wallet to make them acknowledge your "right".
    I am very interested to know of the statute or case law that says the holder ofa CT pistol permit negatesa localordianance. Do you also think that a holder of a CT pistol permit has the right to walk into the Department Of Public Safety with his pistol even though the sign says "No weapons?"

Now, how can one be arrested for open carry since it is legal? Didn't you just say that towns cannot enforce laws or ordinances that are contrary to state law?

Post imported post

Check with an Attorney if you do not believe me. West Hartford attempted to pass an ordinance banning the legal possession of handguns in Town Parks, the state stepped in and informed him they could not make such an ordinance. The state holds preemption over the towns and cities just like the Federal Government holds preemption over the states (like in the federal rule on interstate transport of firearms laws). The simple reason being is that it would be to confusing if the numerous towns and cities made up there own rules, if they did each would have to issue its own permit with its own rules. Just not going to work, especially in a small state like CT.

Specific state law gives the person in control of private propertythe authority to ban the carry of firearms, I believe the specific language is located in the same statute as the permit application process or therabouts. So, no it is not legal to carry into the DPS building if they have a sign that states "No Weapons".

Just as it is illegal under CT law to carry on K-12 School Property, anywhere the Legislature is conducting business, court houses and jails,

Under Federal law it is illegal to carry into federal buildings (including the Post Office)

Additionally, the reason I say the person will be arrested in NB is after living there for over 12 years as a permit holder (including at one time having a New Britain Permit) is the fact that 90% of law enforcement is quite ignorant on the status of open carry in CT and it is their job to make the arrest and let the courts figure it out. NB being a city (and not a suburban town, not that you could get away with it there either see Goldberg case)in CT has its dangerous areas, the police are not going to mess around with some guy who says he knows the law when they had to respond to a call of man with a gun, they are just going to arrest you and let you pay your way out of the court system....Ed Perulta's law suit could end this practice in CT, I hope very soon...
    Member:, NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry, MRPC and Bell City
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

Post imported post

brk913 wrote:
    Check with an Attorney if you do not believe me. West Hartford attempted to pass an ordinance banning the legal possession of handguns in Town Parks, the state stepped in and informed him they could not make such an ordinance. The state holds preemption over the towns and cities just like the Federal Government holds preemption over the states (like in the federal rule on interstate transport of firearms laws). The simple reason being is that it would be to confusing if the numerous towns and cities made up there own rules, if they did each would have to issue its own permit with its own rules. Just not going to work, especially in a small state like CT.

Specific state law gives the person in control of private propertythe authority to ban the carry of firearms, I believe the specific language is located in the same statute as the permit application process or therabouts. So, no it is not legal to carry into the DPS building if they have a sign that states "No Weapons".

Just as it is illegal under CT law to carry on K-12 School Property, anywhere the Legislature is conducting business, court houses and jails,

Under Federal law it is illegal to carry into federal buildings (including the Post Office)

Additionally, the reason I say the person will be arrested in NB is after living there for over 12 years as a permit holder (including at one time having a New Britain Permit) is the fact that 90% of law enforcement is quite ignorant on the status of open carry in CT and it is their job to make the arrest and let the courts figure it out. NB being a city (and not a suburban town, not that you could get away with it there either see Goldberg case)in CT has its dangerous areas, the police are not going to mess around with some guy who says he knows the law when they had to respond to a call of man with a gun, they are just going to arrest you and let you pay your way out of the court system....Ed Perulta's law suit could end this practice in CT, I hope very soon...
    Ok. But DPS is not a private building, it is a public building.

If the theories on Federal Preemption holds true then why does Connecticut have a ban on "Assault Weapons?" And why is the legislature now looking to make the possesion of Machine Guns illegal?

Do you have any information you can provide about the State stepping in as far as the West Hartford ordinance? I am trying to fight a "no weapons" sign that my Mayor has put up on our town hall building. He did not do an executive order nor did he go through the town council for an ordinance. The Town Attorney said he can do it. The NRA-ILA said he could do it. And an attorney in the State Legislature said he could do it.

Post imported post

I am aware CT has judicial pre-emption that towns/cities cannot make laws that "seriously conflict" with state law...but that sounds weak..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast