• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Court messed up girlfriend's CHP...

mercutio545

imported post

So my girlfriend got her CHP notice in today from the Henrico Circuit Court, and they messed her name up. She's Finnish, and her name is Kristiina (with 3 "i's"), and she wrote it as such on the application. However, on the notice, it is spelled "Kristina". If it's spelled like this on her CHP, should she complain and request to get a new one? Or does it make a difference if one letter is missing? I just don't want her to get in any trouble with the law since the name on the permit doesn't exactly match the license. The other thing that I'm worried about is how long it would take for them to correct their mistake.

Thanks for the info.

Darylvb

imported post

I would say, since she has already been approved by the judge from the paperwork that was put in she's ggod to go, but go to the court when you can and see the clerk and have them print up another one.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would get it cleared up. Its an official document issued by the court.

I can't see any harm in missing an "i"; but all that says is that I maynot have thought of all the possibleproblems or correctly estimated their likelihood.

In the meantime, if nothing else,yourgirlfriend can go to the Clerk and demand her temporary permit sinceshe has not yet been issued a permit. In a manner of speaking, some otherwomen with a slightly different name has been issued a permit and it was incorrectly given to your girlfriend. This assumes it has passed the 45-day deadline.

mercutio545

imported post

Hmm... She submitted her application and paid around the 2nd or 3rd of March, so it hasn't been any more than a month. So I suppose she can't demand her temp permit. I would just hate for her to have to wait longer because of someone else's mistake. She doesn't like to OC (I'm working on it, guys ;)), but wants to start carrying. You think they would just print one out for her on the spot?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I would just call them or email them and tell them what you told us about the three i's and I bet they would just send you another.

Hello.. um.. My girlfriend has three eye's! :what::what::what:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
Hmm... She submitted her application and paid around the 2nd or 3rd of March, so it hasn't been any more than a month. So I suppose she can't demand her temp permit. I would just hate for her to have to wait longer because of someone else's mistake. She doesn't like to OC (I'm working on it, guys ;)), but wants to start carrying. You think they would just print one out for her on the spot?

Maybe.

Getting the judge's signature mighttake a little more than on-the-spot.

mercutio545

imported post

Citizen wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:

Maybe.

Getting the judge's signature mighttake a little more than on-the-spot.
This is true. I suppose we'll see how it looks when she goes to pick it up. Maybe the person who typed her name into the notice just messed it up, but the permit is ok? I really don't understand that. Why would they even send her a notice saying that her permit is ready, when they could have just sent the permit instead? What a waste of paper. She's most likely going on Wednesday, so I'll post an update around then.

If if it's messed up, and the Clerk says it's ok, should she still demand to have it corrected? I would imagine so. It's not like the "But the clerk told me it was ok!" defense would hold up if some issue were to come up down the line.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

They should be able to fix it on the spot. The thing to do is to take a PHOTOCOPY of the permit to the clerk's office in case they need to keep it. Keep the original in the wallet until they actually trade for a corrected version. Oh, and don't let anyone tell GF that she's got to pay another fee and fill out another form - this is her kind extension of an opportunity to the Clerk to correct the Clerk's mistake; if they don't like it, GF could file a petition in equity against the Clerk to have the circuit court judge order the clerk to correct the mistake.

I would say that it is important, however, to get that error corrected. In theory if one were to use a CHP with a misspelled name on it as part of one's identification for the handgun purchase background check, the red flags should go up and the purchase should be blocked. The FFL could have problems if the name on the ID and the background info aren't the same.

Chances are, no one will notice, because no one on this side of the pond is looking for that kind of spelling; it's an obvious error; and anyone relying on it as ID will probably be reasonable. Some folks are knuckleheads, however (to use the technical term), and it would be wise to de-fuse the knuckleheads' devices pre-emptively.

curtiswr

Yeah, but now I'm dying of suspense to know if it was fixed.

For what it's worth, I had a similar issue. They printed my birthdate incorrectly. I called and advised them to fix it, they said they would for 10 dollars. I told them I wasn't paying for their mistake and to let me speak to the circuit court clerk directly. At the end of our talk he asked when I would be back to get the new one and I told him 30 minutes and they had it printed, signed, and ready for me as I got there.

Kevin108

Suffolk charged me $10 to update my address so I'm sure you can get one for the update fee but as this was their screw up maybe they'll give you a new one free. Since you have a current, valid permit, the clerk should be able to fix the name while you wait.

nova

For what it's worth, I had a similar issue. They printed my birthdate incorrectly. I called and advised them to fix it, they said they would for 10 dollars. I told them I wasn't paying for their mistake and to let me speak to the circuit court clerk directly. At the end of our talk he asked when I would be back to get the new one and I told him 30 minutes and they had it printed, signed, and ready for me as I got there.

My address is missing a letter in the street name. I only noticed it when I got home from picking it up at the courthouse. The address isn't as important as the physical features and name (heck, when you move you're not required to update the address until it's time to renew).