• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawfully Open Carrying - in a bank

demnogis

imported post

I can't find a law on the books pertaining to possession of a firearm while in a bank. My guess is that since it's private property they can ask you to leave it in the car (as any private business can), but I can't find any laws restricting possession.

Except, of course, crimes involving robbery, assault, etc (which are illegal anyways).

Thanks!

Decoligny

imported post

That's because there are none.

There are some uninformed people who try to argue that since a bank is Federally insured that it falls under the "Federal Building" area.

This is total bunk. I happen to have Federal Flood Insurance on my house, it doesn't make my home Federal property.

demnogis

imported post

The bank I went to (and made a deposit) didn't have any signage saying firearms are prohibited. The staff didn't see to have any issue and were friendly as always. No popo called in to do their SWAT thing, so it went well.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
I do it all the time. WAMU (now CHASE), Union Bank of California, San Diego County Credit Union, etc. I even got through the metal detector at UBOC, no sweat :)
Wait, you walk through the metal detector with your gun and the security guards do what?

pullnshoot25

mjones

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
I do it all the time. WAMU (now CHASE), Union Bank of California, San Diego County Credit Union, etc. I even got through the metal detector at UBOC, no sweat :)
Wait, you walk through the metal detector with your gun and the security guards do what?

I go through metal detectors pretty regularly with both firearms and knives - Generally concealed, but occasionally OC - I've never actually set one off though.

I used to stay clear of them if I could, but after a few occasions of accidently going through them with no effect I quit worrying about it. Although they are often even the very same model used for airport sterile areas, they aren't set anywhere near as sensitive.