• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to the movies......

MuellerBadener

imported post

Wife & I would like to catch a movie this weekend. Was wondering which theaters have hissy fits about OC and which ones are cool with it. We live in West Jordan.

mqondo

imported post

I know the Larry H. Miller theaters (Megaplex) are usually not so friendly, but I've never tried to OC there, so I can't be sure. Some people in the CC comunity have seen signs there stating no firearms. It's been forever since I have been to any theater, so that might have changed. So basically what I'm saying is I'm no help. :lol:

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

I have been to SEVERAL different theaters in UTAH COUNTY....
the newer Cinemark in American Fork, Wynnsong in Provo, and WaterGardens in Pleasant Grove MANY times while open carrying... and to date NOONE From ANY OF the Theaters HAVE SAID ANYTHING TOO ME. I have had some friendly conversations from others at the show.

edited for grammar!

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

All of the Larry H. Miller properties of which I am aware (including the Jordon Common theater at 9400 S. State, the race way, and the Energy Solutions Arena) are posted "No Firearms".

Of course, such signs have NO legal standing in Utah when attached to such business property (as opposed to private residences or house of worship). But they do indicate a willingness to ask you to leave if your gun is noticed.

There is no security or effort to detect a gun at either Jordon Common or the raceway. There is often no such security at the ES Arena, though for some events they run everyone through metal detectors.

I have CC'd at the raceway without incident.

I have CC'd and Casually CC'd / OC'd at the Jordon Common Theater without incident.

But in both cases I believe it was because nobody noticed my firearm.

So those who wish to be armed at LHM commercial property can generally do so if they conceal.

Those who prefer not to do business with those who oppose their RKBA, will want to avoid LHM properties.

Other than LHM properties, about the ONLY place I've noticed "No gun" signs is at IHC facilities. And again, they have no legal weight there so I've both CC'd and Casually CC'd into those facilities. Indeed, given that hospitals treat people at their worst, clean up after failed gang shootings and such, have drugs and other items that may be of value to criminals, I make a POINT to be armed when at the hospital for any reason OTHER than as a patient. If I am caring for a family member I CC to avoid any distractions. If I am just visiting, I am more likely to CCC or OC.

Charles

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

The Cinemark Movies 8 in Provo has a prohibition on firearms.

I openly carried while purchasing my tickets right in front of the sign, watched the move, and left without incident.

This picture is from the VCDL website, but it is the exact same signage at the Provo Cinemark Movies8.

ttsign.jpg

Outsider

imported post

Wife and I saw Monsters vs Aliens 3D this week and no problem at the new Cinemark in Orem. I swear this is just a Salt Lake Valley problem and not Utah Valley (said it before and still saying it).

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I think you're on to something here Tony. :idea:

I live in Utah County, and have done the bulk of my carry in Utah County.

However,I've only ever been asked to cover up or leave in Salt Lake County! :banghead: