• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What to do if you're holsterless and your lock breaks?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Say I'm going to the shooting range and I'm carrying my handgun in a bag with a Masterlock on it. I get there and shoot for an hour and when I go to leave I can't get my lock to close. What are my legal options at this point assuming the range doesn't sell locks? What if I will knowingly cross a school zone while leaving the gun range?

ComeTakeThem

imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Say I'm going to the shooting range and I'm carrying my handgun in a bag with a Masterlock on it. I get there and shoot for an hour and when I go to leave I can't get my lock to close. What are my legal options at this point assuming the range doesn't sell locks? What if I will knowingly cross a school zone while leaving the gun range?
Just don't get pulled over and you'll be fine. Not like it'll sprout legs and shoot at people by itself.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Odd question. But if you have a car, it's moot. Put your guns in the trunk. This qualifies for 12026.1 same as a locked case. If not, throw em in plain view on a seat. Open carrying does not require a holster. 12025 just makes concealing illegal. But don't drive though any school zones...

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Granted, I could toss it on the seat. But how about transporting it from the gun range to my car. I couldn't well keep it in my bag since that would technically be concealing it, I couldn't safely carry it in my hand since that might be brandishing in some cruel interpretation of the law.

But if I am at a gun range where I can't leave without crossing a school zone, what is one to do without willfully breaking a stupid law?

Oh, and I drive a truck, so I don't have a trunk.

nukechaser

imported post

My thought would be to perhaps call a taxi cab. Similar to when you shouldn't drive if you've had too much to drink, call a cab and place the firearms in the trunk of the taxi. A big taxi bill ($100 bucks?) is waaaaay cheaper than a lawyer, same as compared to fighting a DUI.

Or ask a friendly shooter to give you a ride and offer to buy them dinner/range fees/ammo.

This is if you are really, really worried about being pulled over and busted in your pickup truck. Ounce of prevention, and all that...

All that said, I agree, 626.9 sux, but it is the law by which we have to abide.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I would probably call my wife and have her bring me a spare lock. Also, the range employees might be kind enough to store your gun for 20 minutes while you drive to the nearest hardware store and buy a new lock.

pullnshoot25

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I would probably call my wife and have her bring me a spare lock. Also, the range employees might be kind enough to store your gun for 20 minutes while you drive to the nearest hardware store and buy a new lock.
You're married? I had no idea, I totally thought you were a bachelor!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
You're married? I had no idea, I totally thought you were a bachelor!
Yep, going on 9 years... dang, that reminds me my anniversary is in a couple weeks... i better figure something out.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Dismantle the gun,. then carry the non-firearm parts with you.
Get another lock from home or buy one, return and reassemble the gun.

Then go after masterlock for the entrapment. They always use those gun freindly
adds, and should stand up for thier products.

Get your FFL so you can mail it to yourself......

Just don't get stopped in the school zone when you begin and end your 30mph
chase down the highway and streets.

Call your local crip/blood to carry it for you, they could care less about the law.

Remove the paperwork needed in a stop from glove box, and put gun in there,
then even if you get stopped it will be locked out of site.
Just remember to turn yourself in to the nearest police station for breaking the
law at the earliest opportunity.

sigscout

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Call your local crip/blood to carry it for you, they could care less about the law.

Thats a great idea! if you nnever want to see your gun again.

besides I think that Crip/blood is mostly a southern CA thing, up here in the north we have these mexican gang things called (I promise I'll spell it wrong) Nortenios/red and Surrenios/blue

Being of celtic descent I would be more likely to call our local Biker club, they would probably want a place to crash though...

MrSigmaDot40

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
MrSigmaDot40 wrote:
Whatever happened to open carrying in a holster IN your car?
The premise of this thread is you have no holster, and your lock breaks.
lol sorry i never saw the hostlerless part. I shoot from the holster at my local range so i was in the mind frame that there was one in this situation.