• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti OC cartoon

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

http://newsminer.com/photos/galleries/editorial-cartoons/1960/

I'm a wee bit curious about this one. For starters as I work in the newspaper industry, I'm not taking this as an endorsement from the paper, but rather something that was presented in light of recent public interest/concern in the subject presented at hand. Clearly it is meant as a conversation starter. What I'd like to know is what set off that need for conversation? There are clearly a lot of people talking about OC, pro and against to get the level of interest that would justify that cartoon.

FMCDH

imported post

It did say that it was a "trick question". ;)

I would suggest that the guy drinking is actually the bigger threat to life since he is actively driving about a 21,000,000 grain bullet. The guy with the gun out the window is dumb to be sure, but until he actually points it at someone and pulls the trigger, hes not much of a danger unless he drops it out the window at 60 MPH.

Remember, 1 pound = 7000 grains

Which is more of a danger...
a 2000 - 4000 pound car?
or
a 100 to 230 grain bullet?

Not a tough question to answer really.

Michigander

imported post

I think that cartoon represents good progress. When you get some irrational moron to slander your cause in such an unrealisticfashion, you know you've gone a long way.

Barnett3006

imported post

Clearly...

The guy yelling and trying to use that surplus flare gun to signal for help is trying to save himself from an out-of-the-frame threat to his life, obviously not a threat to anyone.

The half-asleep guy being distracted by those little bubbles floating around his face as he is driving his car is a danger...the police should pull him over after helping the flare gun guy get out of whatever dangerous situation he got himself into.

Machoduck

imported post

Mr. Nobody, the cartoon artist, asks about the threat to innocent life. Does he include himself among the innocents? Probably. He sees himself as an innocent in the grand scheme of politics, while at the sames time making irresponsible and inaccurate characterizations about an activity he fears without bothering to understand. Bravely drawn, sir.

MD

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Don't know about all of your laws but in Va. that is not open carry!

That is IMO brandishing and would not be legal.

OC is your gun riding peaceably in your holster, not covered by a garment - threatening no one. Someone waving a gun about, out the window of a vehicle is considered a threat in Va.

I'm going to have to look again but I think his finger was even on the trigger.
Yep - just checked - it sure is - he is a twitch away from discharging a round.

Yata hey

nukechaser

imported post

Brandishing, trigger finger, etc. not withstanding... my answer to the cartoonist's question would be:

Who is the law breaker? The person drinking and driving, or the person open carrying?

One is a felon, the other, a law abiding citizen.

Pretty clear from where I sit... :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nukechaser wrote:
Brandishing, trigger finger, etc. not withstanding... my answer to the cartoonist's question would be:

Who is the law breaker? The person drinking and driving, or the person open carrying?

One is a felon, the other, a law abiding citizen.

Pretty clear from where I sit... :p
No doubt your question is better. The depiction of the OCer then should then have been a much more positive image. As the cartoon is offered, it gives a negative impression of both - even more so of the OCer. The artist is no friend of mine.

Not foggy here either. :)

Yata hey

SlackwareRobert

imported post

The biggest threat is the politition on the left frame.:shock:
The right frame is only a threat to low flying black helicopters.

But it should be pointed out the BIGGEST threat is BHO taking away both
those rights, and privilages.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I replied to 'Feedback':

Re: Open Container - Open Carry cartoon.
The character with it's booger picker on the bang switch is 'Brandishing'. Open Carry is holstered... benign and a threat to nobody not acting as a threat to others. It's also a civil RIGHT!

cato

imported post

Well, in Ca. the first is always a crime but the second is only IF done in the presence of another...

:pto the cartoonist

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cato wrote:
Well, in Ca. the first is always a crime but the second is only IF done in the presence of another...

:pto the cartoonist
The message as delivered is how many of the antis view us - it only reinforces their thinking.

Irresponsible journalism isn't limited to the front page and ed/op pieces.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
snip.........
trigger on the finger
Submitted on their feedback page. Dang it, I wrote trigger on the finger.... I meant finger on the trigger... oh well, too late now.
Freudian slip or finger got to contact point(s) without control of brain stem summit.

Gotta use preview button before pulling the trigger. I should heed my own advice more often to this regard. :)

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
snip.........
trigger on the finger
Submitted on their feedback page. Dang it, I wrote trigger on the finger.... I meant finger on the trigger... oh well, too late now.
Freudian slip or finger got to contact point(s) without control of brain stem summit.

Gotta use preview button before pulling the trigger. I should heed my own advice more often to this regard. :)

Yata hey

Yes, please do. :):p

(I know I'm gonna pay for that; but I just couldn't resist.)

(Oh! The irony!I forgot to use the preview button. We need a 7-second delay button around here like radio DJs have.)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Yes, please do. :):p

(I know I'm gonna pay for that; but I just couldn't resist.)

(Oh! The irony!I forgot to use the preview button. We need a 7-second delay button around here like radio DJs have.)
We've been waiting for you - knew that you would get here eventually.

Hope you did not have too stressful a day and will be able to contribute something beneficial.

BTW - see, cheap pot shots are not all that expensive. :lol:

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP Hope you...will be able to contribute something beneficial.

Ouch! :)
Oh but I said it with a smile on my face and a laughter in my voice - doesn't that lesson (sp-intended) the sting? :) :p

Back on thread - my kitty expressed my opinion of the cartoon better than I could have do so alone - I put it in her litter box.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
SNIP Hope you...will be able to contribute something beneficial.

Ouch! :)
Oh but I said it with a smile on my face and a laughter in my voice - doesn't that lesson (sp-intended) the sting? :) :p
:) That's a new one on me. I'll have to borrow that.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Oh, but I said it with a smile on my face and a laughter in my voice...

Somebody recently lectured me about punctuation. Now, let me think. Who was that? Where did I put my copy of that lecture?

Hmmmmm. Can't recall. :p

(We're gonna end up in a fight over the nuances of punctuation before this is over. Just watch. Sooner of later one us is going to be diggingup an 18th century reference on exclamations. I just know it.) :)

PS: Does the smileygo inside the parenthesis or outside?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Oh, but I said it with a smile on my face and a laughter in my voice...
Somebody recently lectured me about punctuation. Now, let me think. Who was that? Where did I put my copy of that lecture?

Hmmmmm. Can't recall. :p

(We're gonna end up in a fight over the nuances of punctuation before this is over. Just watch. Sooner of later one us is going to be diggingup an 18th century reference on exclamations. I just know it.) :)

PS: Does the smileygo inside the parenthesis or outside?
Just trying to keep you occupied. You know what they say about idle fingers.
Doing my best to provide you with your requisite distraction. :)

Re: Elements of punctuation - Style Book
http://contemporarylit.about.com/od/wordsandlanguage/fr/elementsOfStyle.htm

Re: PS (more correctly P.S.) depends on what the smiley modifies.

Still sometimes prefer computer English though. :)

BTW - the lesson vs lesser thing came to me as the "lesson of two evils" late one night - it was a bolt of brilliance -rare but beautiful.

Now as to the cat/cartoon/litter box - the cat decided it stunk too much and buried it.

Yata hey