• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just bought a brand new handgun, and I'm ready to sell it.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

I just bought a brand new Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight Revolver (.38 Special Hammerless) one week ago, and I'm ready to sell it. Yesterday was the first time I had shot it, I put 30 rounds through it. I hate to sound like a "wuss", or whatever, but this just has too much kick for me. I do like the gun. I think it's just too much caliber, too little weight, and not enough barrel length for me to be completely comfortable with.

I am willing to lose money to sell this gun, but I'm not sure where I should do so.

I was recommended to list it on GunBroker.com, but I'm not certain that I even stand a chance at selling it on there. I took a brief look-around on the site, and it seems like all of the guns that actually have bids are being sold by sellers who have 200+ feedbacks and "A+" positive ratings. The other guns/sellers don't have any bidders. Doesn't seem likely that someone would bid on mine with zero feedback when they could bid on someone else's who has 200+ feedback, even if theirs is priced a little bit higher.

So what should I do? Where should I list it? Is anyone on here interested?

I paid $480 with tax for this gun one week ago (I have the receipt of course).

I am willing to sell it for
$399.

I also have a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster and a speedloader that I can include for a little extra, otherwise I will just put those on ebay.

Thank you,
Brandon

FBI Agent

imported post

You could try carolina shooters forum. There are a lot of people in your area also, so you wouldn't have to worry about shipping

2offroad

imported post

What he said, you can get more money for it local. When you sell it you can go thru a dealer or if the person lives in NC and has a concealed carry or a pistol purchase permit you can sell directly to them. Just get a copy of the CCW or the permit for your records.

buzzsaw

imported post

Brandon,

Sorry you had such a negative experience with your purchase. You didn't mention whether you had already thought of this but have you talked to the shop where you bought it? If you are wanting something more appropriate to your needs they might take it in trade toward something better suited for you without significant value loss to you since they know where the gun originated. If indeed you do decide to "trade up" I would suggest visiting a range with guns to rent and test firing a sample of the gun you are interested in to avoid a repeat of the current situation. I am no longer intimately familiar with the triangle/triad area but I do know that most gun shops with ranges in this area do offer rentals incase you are interested in a specific weapon. You are not too far from Fayetteville where Jim's at one time rented full auto for your ammo expending pleasure. Been there done that. Good luck in any event.

BRobb19

imported post

buzzsaw wrote:
Brandon,

Sorry you had such a negative experience with your purchase. You didn't mention whether you had already thought of this but have you talked to the shop where you bought it? If you are wanting something more appropriate to your needs they might take it in trade toward something better suited for you without significant value loss to you since they know where the gun originated. If indeed you do decide to "trade up" I would suggest visiting a range with guns to rent and test firing a sample of the gun you are interested in to avoid a repeat of the current situation. I am no longer intimately familiar with the triangle/triad area but I do know that most gun shops with ranges in this area do offer rentals incase you are interested in a specific weapon. You are not too far from Fayetteville where Jim's at one time rented full auto for your ammo expending pleasure. Been there done that. Good luck in any event.
I did talk to the GM of the shop that I bought it from, and he said that all they can do is buy it back for 2/3 of what the sticker price was (before tax), even though they KNOW it was bought from them only a week ago. And as a matter of fact, they told me that before I had bought the gun too, so I knew what I was getting myself into. So basically, $300 is all they would offer me back. I asked the GM what they would resell it for IF I gave it back for that price and he said probably just about what they sold it for brand new. He said that he would highly recommend that I just sell it online or otherwise so that I don't lose much money on it, as these lightweight J-Frames are apparently in higher demand than they are supply.

HardChrome

imported post

Just curious. If this is too much for you, what are you now thinking about getting? There's nothing out there that's worth having for self defense that's going to have any less recoil. I have the same size revolver in .357 Magnum (although heavier SS frame - Ruger SP-101) and I love to shoot that, even with the magnums. Is it that maybe you need to get used to it? My wife just got the very same model and she really likes hers. We paid $440 for it last month.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HardChrome wrote:
Just curious. If this is too much for you, what are you now thinking about getting? There's nothing out there that's worth having for self defense that's going to have any less recoil.

You might consider hanging onto it. Over time, you might like the lighter weight, or you might encounter someone who wants it and will take it in trade. All this assumes you have the money to just go out and buy another gun today.

BRobb19

imported post

HardChrome wrote:
Just curious. If this is too much for you, what are you now thinking about getting? There's nothing out there that's worth having for self defense that's going to have any less recoil. I have the same size revolver in .357 Magnum (although heavier SS frame - Ruger SP-101) and I love to shoot that, even with the magnums. Is it that maybe you need to get used to it? My wife just got the very same model and she really likes hers. We paid $440 for it last month.
Im thinking about getting another semi-auto, probably 9mm. I like handguns that have a longer barrel, like 3"-4", and a little bit more weight to them than the airweights. I just dont feel comfortable shooting anything further than close distances with a .38 special and a 1 and 7/8 inch barrel.

HardChrome

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
HardChrome wrote:
Im thinking about getting another semi-auto, probably 9mm. I like handguns that have a longer barrel, like 3"-4", and a little bit more weight to them than the airweights. I just dont feel comfortable shooting anything further than close distances with a .38 special and a 1 and 7/8 inch barrel.
Don't give up on revolvers and short barrels forever though. I have a 4" .44 Mag and a 2-1/4" .357 Magnum, both of which I can split holes with.

buzzsaw

imported post

If you like semiauto and 9mm have you tried the keltec .380? In essence a 9mm short (less powder) same bullet dimension as 9 mm and .38 but less kick. Small gun and double action only. Yeah you wont be able to go bull elephant hunting with it but at self defense ranges (5 to 7 yds) it should punch a big enough hole to discourage most non drug influenced humans. Also most of the ones I have seen are cheaper than what you have already looked at.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Make sure the next one you get matches your skirt :p

...just kidding. I also just got a 642, and I wish I had seen your post before I bought mine as I wanted one in the chromed look as opposed to the black.

I will definitely recommend the S&W M&P compact in 9mm. It is basically as small as the 642, it is slim enough to fit in a pocket when using the short magazine, and the stainless steel makes it heavy enough to absorb the recoil to the point that my wife loves to shoot it (anti gun NY'er that is slowly coming around, even got a CHP). Try one out, or come to the Queen city and I'll let you borrow hers.

BRobb19

imported post

i decided that im going to keep it for the time being.

however, if i happen to fall in love with something that is up for trade on the Carolina Shooters forum then i will certainly re-consider giving up the 642.

:)

thanks everyone.