• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How does "Terror to the Public" play into an anti-gun person just being a jerk?

Aran

Banned
imported post

Last time I was at my aunt's near Pittsburgh and my grandmother was there, I was open carrying because my aunt doesn't care, and my grandmother kept grabbing my shirt and pulling it over my holster.

Then read me a riot act when she finally cornered me to tell me that I was scaring the family and my aunt wanted it gone.

... except for the fact that everyone in the house except her has had excited conversations about guns with me, and think the fact that I carry is pretty cool. (Even my uncle's OMGLIBERAL ARTIST father.)

YllwFvr

imported post

Aran wrote:
Last time I was at my aunt's near Pittsburgh and my grandmother was there, I was open carrying because my aunt doesn't care, and my grandmother kept grabbing my shirt and pulling it over my holster.

Then read me a riot act when she finally cornered me to tell me that I was scaring the family and my aunt wanted it gone.

... except for the fact that everyone in the house except her has had excited conversations about guns with me, and think the fact that I carry is pretty cool. (Even my uncle's OMGLIBERAL ARTIST father.)
If someone kept fooling near my pistol it would seriously freak me out, no matter the good intentions!

chiefjason

imported post

Funny, I just had this conversation with my mom who works with a local PD. She is not anti and owns handguns. But she told me that the PD she works for would arrest me for GATTTOTP if they got a call about it. I brought up all the requirements for them to actually arrest someone then asked her when the last time they arrested someone for it was. She does not particularly like me OCing. Then she mentioned that she had talked to her friend who isa Magistrate in town. I told her I would love to talk to the Magistrate about it. Showed her some of the info I keep in the truck too.

Basically, they could try to arrest someone for it. If the Magistrate was crazy enough to charge them they would have a heck of a lawsuit I think. Several discussions in the NC section if you look for them. It's not on my short list of worries while carrying.

Statesman

imported post

yale wrote:
I've often wondered if an effective anti-gun tactic would be to follow an OCer around from place to place and each time the Law Abiding Citizen goes into a place of business the Anti calls management and issues a strong complaint.

For instance, OCer drops by Radio Shack for a pack of batteries and to check out the new GPS they have on the shelf. Antigun jerk sees the OCer and complaines to the manager. Manager tells OC guy that he'd like him to leave the Radio Shack. OC guy leaves. Antiguy, smirks and having nothing else to do since it's his day off from work, follows the OCer at a distance.

OCer walks over across the street to a Walgreens for his batteries. A couple of minutes Antigun guy walks in, points out OCguy to a store employee and makes a nervous complaint and says something along the lines of "You let anyone just walk in with a gun? What if he trys to kill all of us? There are kids shopping here." Before OCguy can find the batteries he wants the manager is on the phone with the cops. By the time OCguy is heading for the checkout line the cops are there talking to the manager and OCguy is getting hasseled. OCguy is asked to leave the store because the manager says that he's getting complaints from other customers. OC guy leaves without his batteries. Again. Antiguy smirks. This is getting fun. He'll show this gun nut about displaying a dangerous weapon to the kids and socer moms of this peaceful town.

OCguy decides to go over to the McDonalds on the corner. He doesn't see Mr Anti watching him from the checkout line at the Walgreens. OCguy is tired, frustrated and now his blood sugar is falling. He places his order and gets his tray and sits down to eat his greasy fast food. Mr Anti enters the McDonalds, orders a coffee and sits across the dinning room. He makes small talk to a senior citizen sitingat the next table, a lovely grey haired lady.It's not a minute later before he points OCguy out to the lady. "That guy has a gun on. I don't see a badge. I don't think he's a cop. He's probably a nutcase. We should tell someone." The lady, now nervously looking around replies witha worried "Oh My." Mr Anti goes up to thecounter, finds the manager and tells him that he and the lady at a nearby table noticed athe guy carrying the gun. It's very scary and the little lady mentioned that she has a heart condition. Could someone please talk tothe guy and get him to leave?The manager looks over a the little old lady who is now visiblily nervous looking at him, at OCguy and back at him. Mr Manager goes over to OCguy and talksto him. OCguys asks if he's done anything wrong and the manager assures him that he's not broken any rules but that "several" of the customers are nervous and he should leave. OCguy gets up, leaves his tray with a half eatten burger and most of his fries and walks out.

On and on the day goes. A stop by Home Depot and within miuntes he's asked to leave because Mr Anti followedhim to the store and complained to the manager. A trip to the local grocery store to pick up some bread and he can't even make it past the produce section before Mr Anti has an employee asking him to "take the gun outside".

By the time he heads home, OCguy is no longer a fan of OC. It's been a day of nonstophassles and he's been banned from half the stores in town. Unknown to him, Mr Anti has had a fun filled and productive day. He goes home knowing that he has likely ridsociety of another OCnut and made his world a bitsafer.

It could hapen.
Yale,

I believe the scenario you paint above would constitute some form of harassment, depending on your state's laws. The anti is following you around, for no other "legitimate" purpose than to harass you personally. When he makes the complaint, he will have to give his/her name and address, and this will be recorded for reporting purposes. The police and judicial system are not likely to view the anti's behavior as warranted. You would likely be able to file charges against him or her for harassment.