• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My letter to the Editor in the Tennessean

WCrawford

imported post

My Letter to the Editor was published in the Friday (4/3/09) edition of the Tennessean.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090403/OPINION02/90402058/1053

While not specifically about open carry, it was in response to a very ill informed letter that was published on 3/30/09.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090330/OPINION02/903300351

Since I don't expect either link to work for more than a few days to a couple weeks, I'll post the text of both letters, in chronological order. :)

Guns in parks will endanger children
To the Editor:
In regard to the bill that was passed: Guns should not be allowed in local parks.

Just the presence of guns in a public park with small children is really dangerous. What will happen if a gun is dropped and a small child finds it? The after-effects could be devastating. There are more cons than pros in this bill, and they need to be looked at more in depth before the lives of small children are endangered.
Kevin Davis
NASHVILLE 37221

Guns in holsters are safe, secure
April 3, 2009
To the Editor:
It is apparent that letter writer Kevin Davis has little to no knowledge of guns or legally armed citizens (“Guns in parks will endanger children,” March 30).

He erroneously appears to believe that allowing those with a Tennessee handgun carry permit to legally carry in parks would put children at risk by losing their firearms.
Legally armed citizens will have a very difficult time losing a firearm because we keep them in holsters. Holsters are designed to keep the firearm in place without it slipping out, even when the holster is turned upside down. Mr. Davis should be more concerned about the criminals that are already carrying firearms in parks.

These unlawfully armed thugs don’t use holsters and have little regard for the safety of others. Children are more at risk from firearms in “gun free zones” (known in the gun community as a target rich environment) than they are where legally armed citizens are permitted.

Remember, when guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns.
Wayne Crawford
NASHVILLE 37206

crotalus01

imported post

The last couple of news stories I recall about anyone (child or adult) finding a gun anywhere both involved LEOs who screwed the pooch (one was left in a public toilet IIRC). Thank you for a good letter.

Having said that, never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig...

WCrawford

imported post

No need to start a new thread, but I got another letter to the editor in today's paper. I wrote this letter in response to an Aug 16th article ("Law Lets Thugs Pack Heat").

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090830/OPINION01/908300347/1007/

Worry about DUIs first

The article "Law lets thugs pack heat" is troubling. First, the author appears to be advocating that those who are only charged with felonies lose their rights, rather than only convicted felons.

Second, the article says, 14 of the 243,000 handgun-carry permit holders are not lawfully entitled those permits. That is 0.006 percent, an extremely small percentage.

I would challenge The Tennessean to similarly investigate the driver's license/drunken driving connection. Who is more dangerous to the average Tennessee resident, a driver's license holder or a handgun-carry permit holder? Or The Tennessean could try to investigate how many Tennesseans voted after they died.

Who is more dangerous, a handgun-carry permit holder or a deceased voter?

Wayne Crawford
Nashville 37206