• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATTN: South Carolina CWP experts!!!

mhohenberg

imported post

Good afternoon.

I moved from Missouri [where I have my CWP and documentation of training by a certified NRA Instructor with 8 hours of classroom training and 2 hours of combat handgun training] to South Carolina and I was wondering what the protocol was to get legal in SC.

As I understand it, now that I have moved my permanent residence, my Missouri CWP is no longer valid and I must get a SC issued CWP to be reinstated. If anyone could confirm this, that would be great.

I also understand that I must have had training within the last 3 years which I meet that qualification since I got my training documentation about a year and a half ago in Missouri. My question is, in observance of the SC requirement to know SC laws, do I really have to pay for training once again in SC to get my CWP or is there an easier way since I have documentation of handgun safety and use from a reciprocal state?

The only thing I can see I would be missing from qualification is documenation showing I know SC state gun laws, but I could be wrong.

A point in the right direction will be fantastic.

Thanks!

Michael

hp-hobo

imported post

Welcome to South Carolina. I'm not an expert but do have some knowledgeon this subject. The short story is that you'll have to take a CWP class in SC unless by some chance the course you took in Missouri was SC approved, which of course is not very likely. Sorry.

Your starting point to learn the ins and outs is South Carolina Title 23, Chapter 31; http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.htmalso available on the SLED website which gives more specific info about training, application, etc; http://www.sled.sc.gov/cwp.aspx?MenuID=CWP. When you see any discrepencies or contradictions always assume the state site is correct because SLED has a problem with keeping their site updated.

I would also recommend joining this organization http://www.scfirearms.org/. They're the only SC specific gun rights organization going and are responsible for some of the good laws we enjoy. You can also join the discussion group (membership not required) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scfirearms/to ask specific question of those with more experience/knowledge than me.

Again, welcome to South Carolina. Hope to meet you at a show or other event some time.

hpj3

imported post

Actually, that's not quite correct. I will certify an individual with a permit from another state (with proper documentation of training) by them attending the SC law portion of the class... at no charge and taking the written test. Not sure how many instructors do this, but if you're coming to the Lowcountry, it can be arranged.

23.31.210:

(5) “Proof of training” means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:

(a) a person who, within three years before filing an application, has successfully completed a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency or a nationally recognized organization that promotes gun safety. This education course must be a minimum of eight hours and must include, but is not limited to:

(i) information on the statutory and case law of this State relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force;

(ii) information on handgun use and safety;

(iii) information on the proper storage practice for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that reduces the possibility of accidental injury to a child; and

(iv) the actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor;

(b) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association or another SLED approved competent national organization that promotes the safe use of handguns;

(c) a person who can demonstrate to the Director of SLED or his designee that he has a proficiency in both the use of handguns and state laws pertaining to handguns;

(d) an active duty police handgun instructor;

(e) a person who has a SLED certified or approved competitive handgun shooting classification; or

(f) a member of the active or reserve military, or a member of the National Guard who has had handgun training in the previous three years.
SLED shall promulgate regulations containing general guidelines for courses and qualifications for instructors which would satisfy the requirements of this item. For purposes of subitems (a) and (b), “proof of training” is not satisfied unless the organization and its instructors meet or exceed the guidelines and qualifications contained in the regulations promulgated by SLED pursuant to this item.

Howard

Robert Butler

imported post

hpj3 wrote:
Actually, that's not quite correct. I will certify an individual with a permit from another state (with proper documentation of training) by them attending the SC law portion of the class... at no charge and taking the written test. Not sure how many instructors do this, but if you're coming to the Lowcountry, it can be arranged.
Howard,

There are a couple more issues you should consider.

First, the SC CWP law requires that the applicant have completed the shooting portion of the class in the instructor's presence.

Second, and MOST importantly, you ONLY have protection from liability for whatever your student does in the many years to come if you taught the student as outlined in the course syllabus you provided to SLED. So, unless you are willing to risk being the guy with the deep pockets that an attorney is looking to hold liable for the wrongful acts of one of your students, you better make sure that student sits through the ENTIRE class before you certify him or her.

I say this to try to protect one of the people who supports GrassRoots, not to start a fight. :)

Rob

mhohenberg

imported post

Howard,

Please email me at mhohenberg@aol.com or call at 816-721-1688 when you get a chance.

I would like to talk to you about coming down to potentially arrange the written test.

I also understand the previous gentleman's post above in correlation to protecting the members who support Grassroots.

I would also give the same advice, but I believe we all agree that you have to have stellar judgement when taking on the responsiblity in owning and carrying a firearm.

I'm sure Howard, that you have this kind of judgement and I can assure you that I do as well. I come from a long line of family in law enforcement and military. If you need to see me properly, handle, load, and fire my Springfield XD .45, I wouldn't mind shooting with you either. My father retired from Independence, MO police department and to this day still conducts firearmstraining for the department.

Shooting is something I love to do and at 50 yards, I can keep all 14 rounds in a group about the size of a grapefruit....alldecently centeredwithin the 9 ring. Not many I've shot with can keep a tight group at 50 yards at .45 caliber.

Please let me know what I should do at your convenience.

Thanks!

Michael

mhohenberg

imported post

Howard,

Please disregard my message above. I found some one local to me that will provide the same service. Thank you for offering and have a wonderful memorial day weekend.

Michael

cathe_ann@yahoo.com

imported post

Ok, I just moved from MO also to the Lexington SC area. After several different sites, I have come to the conclusion that SC is still its own intity, and won't acknowledge any other state. I travel between MO and SC at least 2 x a year, had to have a SC DL, but still pay taxes and own property in MO. Where is the nearest instructor for getting a SC license, and course. Not real happy so don't bother to welcome me. My husband transfered and I am here because I'm married, not real happy with the state at this point maybe it will grow on me. Grew up in Fl and never had this much problem in getting accepted! MO accepted my Fl permit, but again, that permit is not valid here. Are you all in the US?:banghead:

mhohenberg

imported post

Hello,

I found my transition quite easily after the help I got on this board, and SC grew on me more than I can imagine on a personally level. I love the people, nature, things to do, etc.

Anyways, if you still have residency in Missouri, then your CCW is still valid, however if you are going to have permanent residency in SC as well, then Missouri is not valid in SC. You MUST get a SC CWP permit as well.

Personally, I like SC's permit better and my instructor that I went to was awesome. He's located in Rock Hill, SC. His name isDeWayne Saunders. His wife is also an excellent resource who teaches thereas well. Her name is Elizabeth. They are NRA certified in every way you can imagine and its only 85 bucks for the course. Here's the website and good luck! http://www.shootingsafe.com