• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California: Can Revolver Ammunition be Concealed While Open Carrying Your Revolver

LTN

imported post

On the California Open Carry site, one of the FAQ states:

I've heard concealed magazines are illegal. Is that true?
While there is no code that supports this, there was an appellate case in 1974, People v. Hale, that ruled this way. It ruled that although the firearm in question was not concealed, the magazine was, and that only partial concealment is still concealment, and that the magazine was an "essential component" of the firearm. The logic is tortured beyond belief, but it's currently case law. One way to avoid this pitfall is to carry your magazines in belt holsters, so that they match the 12025(f) language of "carried openly in belt holsters". Another option would be to keep an unloaded magazine in the firearm, thereby "completing" the firearm, and invalidating the asinine "essential component" logic.

Any difference in revolvers with no magazines versus pistols with a loaded magazine? Say I carry speed loaders in my pockets while carrying an open .357 revolver--did I violated the law by carry a concealed weapon?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
An unloaded magazine in the firearm sounds more like a hammer than a completed firearm.
I hear you can openly carry a hammer in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New York, Florida, and DC. Funny thing, though. You can't carry a 'California hammer' in any of those places and load it for self-defense. Better this, than nothing.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

LTN wrote:
On the California Open Carry site, one of the FAQ states:

I've heard concealed magazines are illegal. Is that true?
While there is no code that supports this, there was an appellate case in 1974, People v. Hale, that ruled this way. It ruled that although the firearm in question was not concealed, the magazine was, and that only partial concealment is still concealment, and that the magazine was an "essential component" of the firearm. The logic is tortured beyond belief, but it's currently case law. One way to avoid this pitfall is to carry your magazines in belt holsters, so that they match the 12025(f) language of "carried openly in belt holsters". Another option would be to keep an unloaded magazine in the firearm, thereby "completing" the firearm, and invalidating the asinine "essential component" logic.

Any difference in revolvers with no magazines versus pistols with a loaded magazine? Say I carry speed loaders in my pockets while carrying an open .357 revolver--did I violated the law by carry a concealed weapon?
Concealed magazines are in a legal grey area. They are not illegal by statute, but existing case law can be interpreted to mean that a magazine, which is a part of a firearm, could constitute a concealed weapon- and thus be a violation. A speed loader or a moon clip is not an essential part of a revolver- carrying them in your pocket would not be a violation.

LTN

imported post

demnogis,

Nothing in California Penal Code 12031 specifically states that speed loaders are not an "essential part of the firearm." PC 12031(g) does define the what a loaded firearm is.