Thread: NH non resident renewal from Virginia

Post imported post

Howdy all....just renewed my Va DL online and checked both my VA resident CHL and NH non-resident P/R License....hmmm, VA CHL expires next year, but NH expires later this year. Went to the NH DOS homepage and reviewed the NR application, specifically for renewal...am required to copy my VA CHL.....anyone have experience with NH renewals? Would hate to submit my renewal and have it declined due to my VA expiring next spring. Alternatives or suggestions?

Post imported post

All you need for the NH non-res is an active home state CCW. Expiration date isn't applicable--unless it would be in the very near future, I guess. Took a week to get my non-res from NH with my VA res while in MA. Of course, I had a resident NH CCW for 15 years. Slower response now, from what I hear.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Hopefully you renewed before July 1 and saved yourself $80.

Post imported post

Unfortunately not, got a nasty surprise when I checked the NH State Police site and discovered the NH non-resident permit was jacked up from $20 to $100.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Unless you actually visit NH on occasion and thus need the NH nonresident permit to carry there as a resident of a nonreciprocalstate, you would be far better off financially getting one or more of the Florida, Pennsylvania, and/or Utah permits.

PA is the cheapest at $26 for 5 years, and adds GA, ND, and WY to the states in which you may carry. PA requires no proof of training but you must provide a copy of your VA CHP with your application.

FL is more expensive ($117 for a new license/$107 for renewal; 7-year term in either case) but adds AL, GA, KS, ND, and WY to your coverage. FL accepts the same proof of training as VA (with the possible exception of online classes).

UT is the best value (~$65 for a new license/$10 for renewal; 5-year term in either case) and adds AL, GA, MN, ND, WA, and WY to your coverage. UT requires a special UT-only course. However, there are many VA-based instructors (several of whom are active on OCDO). If you can get a UT permit, this would be the one to get.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Post imported post

apollosmom wrote:
    Unfortunately not, got a nasty surprise when I checked the NH State Police site and discovered the NH non-resident permit was jacked up from $20 to $100.
    Well, you know how it goes when the Democrats get hold of the purse-strings. We had a 17% spending increase the first time, and another 11% this last time.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

WVCDL wrote:
    UT is the best value (~$65 for a new license/$10 for renewal; 5-year term in either case) and adds AL, GA, MN, ND, WA, and WY to your coverage. UT requires a special UT-only course. However, there are many VA-based instructors (several of whom are active on OCDO). If you can get a UT permit, this would be the one to get.
    We offer a Utah permit class every month just outside of Richmond at the Bass Pro Shop in Ashland.

www.ProactiveShooters.com
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

As Iunderstand it, although those non-resident permits can be used to obtain your NH permit,NH does not honor them as they stand.They do not honor ANY non-resident permits for carry, even from reciprocal states.

Post imported post

Went ahead and bit the bullet...renewed my NH for $100....pleased though that I received it in just three weeks. For me, easier to renew with NH than obtain either FL or Utah .

Post imported post

Three weeks is still a week past their legal deadline, so they're still breaking the law.

One guy got his after a four-month wait, so perhaps they're almost done working through the fee-increase rush backlog.

Post imported post

mvpel wrote:
    Three weeks is still a week past their legal deadline, so they're still breaking the law.

One guy got his after a four-month wait, so perhaps they're almost done working through the fee-increase rush backlog.
    I applied in February and it took 15 weeks. The backlog was there before the fee increase.

Post imported post

Definitely a serious oversight by the legislature to fail to add a penalty clause to enforce the two-week time limit. What's the speed limit, really, if the fine for exceeding it is $0?

Post imported post

mvpel wrote:
    Definitely a serious oversight by the legislature to fail to add a penalty clause to enforce the two-week time limit. What's the speed limit, really, if the fine for exceeding it is $0?
    As one person said in my original thread about the backlog, if it takes more than the legal time limit for your permit to be issued, you can (and should) plead a court to issue a writ of mandamus to compel the NH state police to issue the permits according to the law, within 14 days.

So the only "fine" to speak of is that they could be compelled to comply with the law. I presume that failure to comply with a writ of mandamus would put the person or agency in contempt of court. There are penalties for contempt of court or failing to obey a court order or mandate.

I'm not a lawyer, though, nor did I attempt to resolve my issue with NH through the courts.

Post imported post

The problem we've seen is that most people who are applying for non-resident licenses and waiting more than 14 days for them often don't have documentation (return receipt) as to when their application was submitted, and don't want to go through the trouble and expense of suing the State Police of New Hampshire in an attempt to force them to comply with the law.

Post imported post

The fee increase will definitely eliminate any backlogs.

Post imported post

Sent in my application for a NH non resident permit June 22. 2009. As of Sept 7, 2009 still don't have the permit. Nor has my check cleared my bank.

I made a mistake and didn't send it return signature requested.

My $20.00 check cleared my bank 10-28-2009. Now I wonder how long a wait it will be for the permit to arrive?

Post imported post

I hear tell they have a recording that they're processing applications from May right now.

Post imported post

There is also an RSA that involves your attorney's fees being paid by the individual that held up your pistol permit.

159:6-f Remedies. –
    I. If any licensing entity or employee or member of the city council or board of selectmen, in violation of the provisions of this chapter, refuses to comply with this chapter, such entity or person shall be liable for reasonable attorney's fees and costs incurred in a lawsuit under this chapter to enforce the terms of this chapter, provided that the court finds that such lawsuit was necessary in order to obtain compliance with this chapter by the licensing authority. Fees shall not be awarded unless the court finds that the entity or person knew or should have known that the conduct engaged in was a violation of this chapter or when the parties, by agreement, provide that no such fees shall be paid. In any case in which fees are awarded under this chapter, upon a finding that an employee, or other official of a licensing entity has acted in bad faith in refusing to comply with this chapter, the court may award such fees personally against such employee or other official.
    II. The court may invalidate an action of a licensing entity taken in violation of the provisions of this chapter, if the circumstances justify such invalidation, and may require the licensing entity to issue a license or otherwise comply with the provisions of this chapter.
    III. In addition to any other relief awarded pursuant to this chapter, the court may issue an order to enjoin future violations of this chapter.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

My NH Non-Res permit expired in July and I mailed in the renewal request in early May. I've not received it. When I applied for my initial NH permit 4 years ago, I received it9 days after I mailed application.

Post imported post

I'm beginning to wonder if they're slow-walking the applications. A gun dealer can get a background check result in two minutes.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

Since NH raised the fee to $100, are they going to hire more folks to process non-res apps? The fee is for that purpose.

Post imported post

The unions are trying to decide whether or not to reject a deal that would result in layoff of 750 state employees at the moment, so I doubt they'll hire anyone. And they're still working through a huge backlog of $20 applications. When they finally get to the $100 applications, the entire volume will likely be able to be done by one person in four hours in one day.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

jegoodin wrote:
    My NH Non-Res permit expired in July and I mailed in the renewal request in early May. I've not received it. When I applied for my initial NH permit 4 years ago, I received it9 days after I mailed application.
    I finally got it in the mail today.

Post imported post

I mailed my non-res application 6-22-2009 my check cleared my bank 10-28-2009. Only a 4 month wait for the check to clear.

I wonder what the time line will be on the issue and mailing of the permit?

I recieved the permit today 11-14-2009. 8 days shy of 5 months wait for the permit to arrive.