• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NH non resident renewal from Virginia

apollosmom

imported post

Howdy all....just renewed my Va DL online and checked both my VA resident CHL and NH non-resident P/R License....hmmm, VA CHL expires next year, but NH expires later this year. Went to the NH DOS homepage and reviewed the NR application, specifically for renewal...am required to copy my VA CHL.....anyone have experience with NH renewals? Would hate to submit my renewal and have it declined due to my VA expiring next spring. Alternatives or suggestions?

Gunslinger

imported post

All you need for the NH non-res is an active home state CCW. Expiration date isn't applicable--unless it would be in the very near future, I guess. Took a week to get my non-res from NH with my VA res while in MA. Of course, I had a resident NH CCW for 15 years. Slower response now, from what I hear.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Unless you actually visit NH on occasion and thus need the NH nonresident permit to carry there as a resident of a nonreciprocalstate, you would be far better off financially getting one or more of the Florida, Pennsylvania, and/or Utah permits.

PA is the cheapest at $26 for 5 years, and adds GA, ND, and WY to the states in which you may carry. PA requires no proof of training but you must provide a copy of your VA CHP with your application.

FL is more expensive ($117 for a new license/$107 for renewal; 7-year term in either case) but adds AL, GA, KS, ND, and WY to your coverage. FL accepts the same proof of training as VA (with the possible exception of online classes).

UT is the best value (~$65 for a new license/$10 for renewal; 5-year term in either case) and adds AL, GA, MN, ND, WA, and WY to your coverage. UT requires a special UT-only course. However, there are many VA-based instructors (several of whom are active on OCDO). If you can get a UT permit, this would be the one to get.

mvpel

imported post

apollosmom wrote:
Unfortunately not, got a nasty surprise when I checked the NH State Police site and discovered the NH non-resident permit was jacked up from $20 to $100.
Well, you know how it goes when the Democrats get hold of the purse-strings. We had a 17% spending increase the first time, and another 11% this last time.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

WVCDL wrote:
UT is the best value (~$65 for a new license/$10 for renewal; 5-year term in either case) and adds AL, GA, MN, ND, WA, and WY to your coverage. UT requires a special UT-only course. However, there are many VA-based instructors (several of whom are active on OCDO). If you can get a UT permit, this would be the one to get.

We offer a Utah permit class every month just outside of Richmond at the Bass Pro Shop in Ashland.

www.ProactiveShooters.com

Riana

imported post

As Iunderstand it, although those non-resident permits can be used to obtain your NH permit,NH does not honor them as they stand.They do not honor ANY non-resident permits for carry, even from reciprocal states.

mvpel

imported post

Three weeks is still a week past their legal deadline, so they're still breaking the law.

One guy got his after a four-month wait, so perhaps they're almost done working through the fee-increase rush backlog.

virginiatuck

imported post

mvpel wrote:
Three weeks is still a week past their legal deadline, so they're still breaking the law.

One guy got his after a four-month wait, so perhaps they're almost done working through the fee-increase rush backlog.
I applied in February and it took 15 weeks. The backlog was there before the fee increase.

mvpel

imported post

Definitely a serious oversight by the legislature to fail to add a penalty clause to enforce the two-week time limit. What's the speed limit, really, if the fine for exceeding it is $0?

virginiatuck

imported post

mvpel wrote:
Definitely a serious oversight by the legislature to fail to add a penalty clause to enforce the two-week time limit. What's the speed limit, really, if the fine for exceeding it is $0?
As one person said in my original thread about the backlog, if it takes more than the legal time limit for your permit to be issued, you can (and should) plead a court to issue a writ of mandamus to compel the NH state police to issue the permits according to the law, within 14 days.

So the only "fine" to speak of is that they could be compelled to comply with the law. I presume that failure to comply with a writ of mandamus would put the person or agency in contempt of court. There are penalties for contempt of court or failing to obey a court order or mandate.

I'm not a lawyer, though, nor did I attempt to resolve my issue with NH through the courts.

mvpel

imported post

The problem we've seen is that most people who are applying for non-resident licenses and waiting more than 14 days for them often don't have documentation (return receipt) as to when their application was submitted, and don't want to go through the trouble and expense of suing the State Police of New Hampshire in an attempt to force them to comply with the law.

imported post

Sent in my application for a NH non resident permit June 22. 2009. As of Sept 7, 2009 still don't have the permit. Nor has my check cleared my bank.

I made a mistake and didn't send it return signature requested.

My $20.00 check cleared my bank 10-28-2009. Now I wonder how long a wait it will be for the permit to arrive?

Jeremy2141

imported post

There is also an RSA that involves your attorney's fees being paid by the individual that held up your pistol permit.

159:6-f Remedies. –
I. If any licensing entity or employee or member of the city council or board of selectmen, in violation of the provisions of this chapter, refuses to comply with this chapter, such entity or person shall be liable for reasonable attorney's fees and costs incurred in a lawsuit under this chapter to enforce the terms of this chapter, provided that the court finds that such lawsuit was necessary in order to obtain compliance with this chapter by the licensing authority. Fees shall not be awarded unless the court finds that the entity or person knew or should have known that the conduct engaged in was a violation of this chapter or when the parties, by agreement, provide that no such fees shall be paid. In any case in which fees are awarded under this chapter, upon a finding that an employee, or other official of a licensing entity has acted in bad faith in refusing to comply with this chapter, the court may award such fees personally against such employee or other official.
II. The court may invalidate an action of a licensing entity taken in violation of the provisions of this chapter, if the circumstances justify such invalidation, and may require the licensing entity to issue a license or otherwise comply with the provisions of this chapter.
III. In addition to any other relief awarded pursuant to this chapter, the court may issue an order to enjoin future violations of this chapter.

jegoodin

imported post

My NH Non-Res permit expired in July and I mailed in the renewal request in early May. I've not received it. When I applied for my initial NH permit 4 years ago, I received it9 days after I mailed application.