• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

very positive OC experience today

Pagan

imported post

Today I joined my wife and kids for a family "Spring Fling" event for my wifes' social group the "peninsula mommies" at hunington park in Newport news today. After telling my dear sweet lady that I would not OC to any of her family social events,I decided to change my mind at the last minute and had to really hear it this morning to get things started, but after she realizedI was not gonna change my mind she just said well then wear something small. So I went out with an Ataugua .32 stainless pistol which is about the size of a credit card, inside a IWB holster, that I simply put between my pants and belt, very small yet plainly visible.

So we get there and we are surronded by 50 or more parents and swarms of little rugrats running around. My wife is just soooooo afraid of what might happen to her reputation in the group, I tell her that if she acts like a sheep, she will be devoured, and that was the last of it, we head out...

After being there for 2 hours, egg hunting is over, the kids and parents are ready to eat. One of my friends within the group, another father looks down at my hip while standing in the food line, and he says, "why do you have a gun"? I reply "I always carry a gun when legal", he saids" really"? Then he quickly goes off to the bathroom, loosing his place in line, it struck me as odd.

20 minutes later he returns from the rest room, and sits very far from my family, odd again. ButI just figure since he is from NY he is just confused on the issue. Well another 15 minutes goes by, andI see my friend standing up looking around as if he is searching for something, I yell over "hey what did you loose", he says "one of my girls" she is 2 and since there is a rather large lake nearby I jump up and rush to his aid. He is just freaking out , his wife had to leave and he is not use to having both girls in such a large and public place, I quickly spot his little one about 75 yards away just playing with some kids, we go over he makes the "rescue" andI go back to my lunch, he then comes and finds me and thanks me for finding his girl, +1 for the OC guy!

Then later after lunch we all head over to the Fort Fun section of the park, shortly after we are thereI hear the screams and cries of a little girl that has her finger stuck in the holes of a "whiffle ball" not a full size one, a small one. There is like 6 adults and one crying girl trying to figer out how to remove this finger from the ball, it is already covered in soap and it was not coming out, I guess it had been in there for a while already.

So the mommy that had organized the whole thing , sees me and says "hey Ryan you carry a knife, can you get this ball off"? I said "sure, let me see it". Now being the prudent and rational person I like to be, I decide that my blade is the wrong tool but my leatherman pliers would do better and be much safer, so I use my leatherman pliers to break aways the plastic, and use the scissors to snip away the last little bit, and the finger is free at last, free at last! So while I'm doing all of this my strong side is very exposed, and more than one person sees my gun.

Soon enough my friend of the lost child tells me I did a great job, "did not even break her skin", and started speaking to me again, gun and all. Then a few minutes later, another mommy approaches me about my gun and tells me she was not aware people could just wear "stuff" like that out in the open! I quickly use this opportunnity to educate her about the legallity of OC and the effectiveness of it as a crime deterrent, she agrees and thanks me for enlightening her, she seemed genuinely friendly and interested, as were her friends that seemed to swarm her afterI went back to playing with my little ones.

So all in all my wife was just sooooo afraid of what would happen to her reputation in the social group if I OC at their events, and I come out of there looking like a hero, good PR for us OC'ers, especially given all the negative gun activity in recent weeks.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Way to go, Pagan! Right tools at the right time (eyes, brainpan, multitool) and maybe some of the mommies & daddies figured out you mean business when it comes to protecting your family.

Surprised you jumped on the lake as the most likely reason for the NY daddy's little one to be missing. Seems everybody else's paranoia is childnappers. Wonder if that flashed through his mind as you went searching? Wonder how he felt about your evil handgun while looking for his little one?

Now just remember to let the wife tell you how great you are - it doesn't work if you do the reminding.:)

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Good day at the park Pagan. You pitched a great game - no hits, no runs, no errors.

Final score 3-0 in favor of OC !

Yata hey

HardChrome

imported post

My wife has banned my gun from Chuck E Cheeses after she discovered that I was CC at a birthday party. Her argument was that I had no business having a gun around so many children. All arguments to the contrary failed so...I came up with a simple fix. I'll just never go into a Chuck E Cheeses with her from now on. :)

I haven't tried it since she got her own sidearm last month. A S&W 642.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

HardChrome wrote:
My wife has banned my gun from Chuck E Cheeses after she discovered that I was CC at a birthday party. Her argument was that I had no business having a gun around so many children. All arguments to the contrary failed so...I came up with a simple fix. I'll just never go into a Chuck E Cheeses with her from now on. :)

I thought that Chuck E Cheese had an ABC license for on premises consumption.

If so, CC would not be legal there, whereas OC would be.

Yata hey

Spectre

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
HardChrome wrote:
My wife has banned my gun from Chuck E Cheeses after she discovered that I was CC at a birthday party. Her argument was that I had no business having a gun around so many children. All arguments to the contrary failed so...I came up with a simple fix. I'll just never go into a Chuck E Cheeses with her from now on.  :)

I thought that Chuck E Cheese had an ABC license for on premises consumption.

If so, CC would not be legal there, whereas OC would be.

Yata hey

It does have an ABC license.

HardChrome

imported post

Could be. I have no idea. I don't drink so I don't even think about it. I know ignorance is no excuse but that's the truth in this case. I guess I'll have to strap on the .44 Magnum Redhawk next time. :)

Decoligny

imported post

HardChrome wrote:

Neither do the badguys, but it doesn't stop them from carrying and using them in Chuck E Cheeses.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_n1_v28/ai_14688386/

Pagan

imported post

HardChrome wrote:
My wife has banned my gun from Chuck E Cheeses after she discovered that I was CC at a birthday party. Her argument was that I had no business having a gun around so many children.
Children have the least amount of defensive ability, therefore they need the MOST defending until they are ready. A primary reason for gun ownership is to protect our children, is it not?

HardChrome

imported post

Pagan wrote:
HardChrome wrote:
My wife has banned my gun from Chuck E Cheeses after she discovered that I was CC at a birthday party. Her argument was that I had no business having a gun around so many children.
Children have the least amount of defensive ability, therefore they need the MOST defending until they are ready. A primary reason for gun ownership is to protect our children, is it not?
Yeah. And the irony is that just before she realized I was carrying, she confronted a group of about eight big, leather-vest-wearing bikers who had overtaken our party table and didn't want to give it up. Without thinking, she went into verbal assault mode with them. All ended well but it was yet another case where carrying a weapon ensured that I was especially polite and diplomatic.

Neplusultra

imported post

Pagan wrote:
HardChrome wrote:
I agree!!! What is the logic behind the idea you shouldn't have a gun around children anyway??? The ONLY reason is that they have been taught and prejudiced against guns as being evil in and of themselves. That, to me, says we should carry around children so they learn guns are not bad, it's only if a bad person has one......

BTW Pagan, good job! You sure you're a pagan :^)?

HardChrome

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Pagan wrote:
HardChrome wrote:
I agree!!! What is the logic behind the idea you shouldn't have a gun around children anyway??? The ONLY reason is that they have been taught and prejudiced against guns as being evil in and of themselves. That, to me, says we should carry around children so they learn guns are not bad, it's only if a bad person has one......
It probably comes from the perception that the gun is the bad thing in the whole equation. Reduce the number of guns and violence is sure to drop.

My kids (11 and 6) see me with a gun on me much of the day. They are pretty proficient with the BB gun in the back yard for now. Bigger and better things await them later when appropriate. They know what to do should they see a gun at a friend's house and they know not to touch mine (I hope) although they stay in a lock box when they are not on me. They don't even know the lock box exists yet. At least my kids are getting it that guns aren't bad.

Neplusultra

imported post

HardChrome wrote:
It probably comes from the perception that the gun is the bad thing in the whole equation. Reduce the number of guns and violence is sure to drop.

My kids (11 and 6) see me with a gun on me much of the day. They are pretty proficient with the BB gun in the back yard for now. Bigger and better things await them later when appropriate. They know what to do should they see a gun at a friend's house and they know not to touch mine (I hope) although they stay in a lock box when they are not on me. They don't even know the lock box exists yet. At least my kids are getting it that guns aren't bad.
If I ever have kids my guns will be locked up of course too. Except for my defensive weapon which would be by the bed at night. I'd teach them to never touch the gun without my being there. And if they ever want to see it or to go shooting to just let me know and we will do so. But if I ever catch them touching it without my knowledge..... :^). Which really shouldn't happen anyway.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
The false premise is that the act of banning guns around children creates a safe environment for them. Pass a law = safe children. Never mind that BGs will ignore the law.

Some of our elected officials have armed security for their families - their children must be more valuable than ours. :X

Add to the mix that OC is legal in restaurants even where children are present and still any negative reaction is to the good citizen OCing. Instead of being vilified, we should be recognized for what we are - their defenders. It is not a question as to whether we will be their first or last line of defense - we will probably be their only defense.

Teaching children that guns are bad is being done wholesale by the classroom, by the school, by the district, by the state and by the nation. We are trying to counter that one child/person at a time. Get busy ladies and gentlemen, there is a lot to do.

Yata hey

KBCraig

imported post

HardChrome wrote:
Yeah. And the irony is that just before she realized I was carrying, she confronted a group of about eight big, leather-vest-wearing bikers who had overtaken our party table and didn't want to give it up. Without thinking, she went into verbal assault mode with them.
No offense to your missus, but it sounds like she might be projecting just a bit. Someone who doesn't think and goes into "verbal assault mode" probably shouldn't be carrying. Her mistake is thinking that you would respond the same way she did.

riverrat10k

imported post

Great story Pagan. Thanks for representing us so well.

Ain't it funny how the Farm boy, Mechanic, or tinkerer always seems to have the appropriate tool in their pick-up, whileso manyurbanite-suburbanites knows how to call 911.

A responsible father should be able to handle most things thrown at him in protection of their children. You sir, seem to understand that better than many folks I meet.

Be prepared!