• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I see we have some new VCDL Board members

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If I remember the Bylaws they were supposed to be elected at an annual meeting from a slate drawn up the the current Board plus nominations from the floor.

Executive Member candidates(again IIRC) are nominated by the current membership of Executive Members in recognition for service to VCDL or other worthy reasons.

I'm thinking the moderators might consider this off topic, but since VCDL does a lot for gun rights in general and OC in particularit probably ought to be allowed to stay.

stay safe.

skidmark

RedKnightt

imported post

From an e-mail exchange with VCDL Secretary Dennis O'Connor in November:

"Executive Members are those regular members whose contributions to the organization have been exemplary or many, and have been recommended to the board of directors by another EM or a board member for EM status.

The Board then votes on upgrading a member to EM based on the record/potential. Em's are asked in their application (once nominated) to note particular areas that they will commit to helping the org with in the future. They pay an increased annual membership fee and participate in an otherwise exclusive discussion board dedicated soley (sic) to Virginia RKBA and VCDL issues to help guide the organization.

EM's are the only members permitted to vote in annual elections for Board members, at a special closed meeting in July.
"

I asked if there was a way for a non-Executive Member to see the by-laws, and was told no. So, from my point of view, the organization is run by rules non-EM members can't see or vote on, by a group selected by itself, not subject to approval or oversight by the regular membership.

I found this elitism very discouraging, and while VCDL is to be applauded for the work it does, I won't be renewing my membership.

KBCraig

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
I asked if there was a way for a non-Executive Member to see the by-laws, and was told no. So, from my point of view, the organization is run by rules non-EM members can't see or vote on, by a group selected by itself, not subject to approval or oversight by the regular membership.
If VCDL is a chartered organization, the bylaws should be public information.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
RedKnightt wrote:
If VCDL is a chartered organization, the bylaws should be public information.
I'm not so sure they are necessarily public in Va. By laws DO not have to be filed in Va as far as I know and if they do, I've been in violation since the early 80's...Guess I'd better check on that for myself.

The question was out of curiosity and was not intended to stir the pot. I happen to think Al will make an excellent board member.

For the most part, I approve of the new EM's although I do have severe reservations about one.

My only concern with the current system is the future. VCDL has grown to be the lobby to deal with in Virginia. It's roots were much more humble though. Philip is the muscle that has pushed it to the top, with help from the board of course but Philip is the driving force that unites so many members into a solid mass.

That's good...until Philip no longer wants the position or cannot handle it any longer. It is an extremely demanding job. There simply are very few people like him. How will VCDL go about choosing his successor?

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RedKnightt wrote:

I found this elitism very discouraging, and while VCDL is to be applauded for the work it does, I won't be renewing my membership.

Why would any group anywhere allow itself to controlled in such a manner? Corporation do it this way (think common and preferred stock). Other gun groups do it this way. I did not get a copy of the NRA bylaws until I became a life (voting) member. How is it elitist to only take direction from your hardest, most dedicated and proven workers?

So the VCDL is successful and so you are not renewing? I know I am a little slow, but does that really make sense? OK, so you do not like one aspect of the way they do business so you are going to yank your $25 from the budget? That sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to not renew. I mean really, what does it matter if they are effective? What could you glean from the bylaws that is so all fired important?

IMHO it seems to me you would be better off busting your * and getting to EM status and *THEN* trying to change it from the inside.

Getting gun owners to do anything in concert is like herding cats.Many arerugged individualists and as such have a 'my way or the highway' approach to life. Your response is a perfect example. Now the VCDL has done this beautifully under Philip and his is truly the man for the job, but, simply put, you ain't gonna find it anyplace else so your decision to leave hurts all gun owners and really proves nothing.

I am not trying to be offensive, but your logic really escapes me...

Bulldog1967

imported post

All I can say as one of the newly minted EMs is that I give my time and efforts to VCDL because they are BY FAR the BEST Gun Rights lobbying groups in the NATION, much less Virginia.

Just like only paying your annual NRA dues, just paying your annual VCDL dues doesn't ensure our 2nd amendment rights.

It is the people who go above and beyond in their efforts to fight for our rights by volunteering at gun shows, serving on membership committees, or helping with the day to day activism is what makes VCDL the great grass-roots organization it is.

It takes hard work to run VCDL, and just like in politics, there are the people who only wait until election day to make their voices heard, and then wonder why they don't like the results. Then there are the others who stay active in the primary season, making sure there are candidates who reflect their own values.

You have to be active EVERY day to make a difference.

Props to PVC and the board for their leadership.

Keep your powder dry.

Tomahawk

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
...I give my time and efforts to VCDL because they are BY FAR the BEST Gun Rights lobbying groups in the NATION, much less Virginia....SNIP
+100

As long as the factory keeps churning out good sausage, I won't question how they're making it.

Marco

imported post

Not directed at the OP.
[line]
Do you belong to other organizations?
Do you agree with everything they do/say?

If youaren't a LM or a member for 5 continuous yrs you have no vote in the NRA.

I can live without reading the bylaws.
The work the volunteers do is worth the $25 annually.
I'll try to give more of my time for this worth while organization.

IMHO, every gun owner in VA has benefited from the work this organization has done.

All VCDL members could one day be a Board member or EM, do you think that is possible with NRA/GOA.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
As long as the factory keeps churning out good sausage, I won't question how they're making it.

Weren't you the one who was worried about Soylent Green? Tell Everyone. It's People!!

Glock27Bill

imported post

I have no say so in how this and other boards are run, but I ain't turning in my membership car as long as I agree with the program and derive a benefit.

I've got to assume that anyone who lurks/reads/posts must feel the same way.

Tomahawk

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Weren't you the one who was worried about Soylent Green? Tell Everyone. It's People!!
Well, what do you think VCDL serves as hamburger at it's picnic functions? Members who get behind on their dues, that's what!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm a little sorry I started this.

It was more curiosity than anything else. Sure I'm concerned with how future Presidents are chosen. Concern and complaints are two entirely different things.

Removing yourself from the best thing to hit Virginia politics in the last 30 years is insane.

For those that are old enough to remember trying to change our concealed weapons laws before VCDL, you know the nightmare it was. VCDL's predecessor was a joke to everyone but themselves. I spoke to Al Gore:lol: who was very active in those days (still is and still a joke), last year. That's what I DON'T WANT TO REVERT TO.

Keep your membership and stay active. Ask quiestions if you are concerned but don't throw out the baby with the bath wwater.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Virginiaplanter wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Well, what do you think VCDL serves as hamburger at it's picnic functions? Members who get behind on their dues, that's what!
Now that you mention it, I haven't actually seen Philip, nor Bruce Jackson, fora while. :)

67GT390FB

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Virginiaplanter wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Now that you mention it, I haven't actually seen Philip, nor Bruce Jackson, fora while. :)
thats because the new updated versions haven't hatched from the pod yet. It's in the super secret bylaws you know that all EM's and Board members are routinely cloned and new upgrades installed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
thats because the new updated versions haven't hatched from the pod yet. It's in the super secret bylaws you know that all EM's and Board members are routinely cloned and new upgrades installed.
I'm waiting for the 10G version myself. :)

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

Yata hey
Is this the current board?

board.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:

Yata hey
Is this the current board?
LOL!

Aren't you supposed to be plowing or planting or sumpthin'? :lol:

Yata hey