• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I see we have some new VCDL Board members

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
67GT390FB wrote:
thats because the new updated versions haven't hatched from the pod yet. It's in the super secret bylaws you know that all EM's and Board members are routinely cloned and new upgrades installed.
I'm waiting for the 10G version myself. :)

Yata hey
Is this the current board?
LOL!

Aren't you supposed to be plowing or planting or sumpthin'? :lol:

Yata hey
TAXES:(:uhoh::(:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X

N8

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OnMarch 26th, 2008I joined VCDL for the first time andpaid $25 dollars via paypal for a 1 year membership. In Aug 08 Iwas asked to renew my membership because it was going to expire in September of 2008??? I wrote an Email to the membership director and never got a replyback nor have I received "the defender" news letter for the last half of my "expired" membership. I just renewed my 1 year membership but I refuse to renew in 2010 if this happens again.

67GT390FB

imported post

N8 wrote:
OnMarch 26th, 2008I joined VCDL for the first time andpaid $25 dollars via paypal for a 1 year membership. In Aug 08 Iwas asked to renew my membership because it was going to expire in September of 2008??? I wrote an Email to the membership director and never got a replyback nor have I received "the defender" news letter for the last half of my "expired" membership. I just renewed my 1 year membership but I refuse to renew in 2010 if this happens again.
I will help you to understand. The membership you purchased in march of 08 was for calendar year Sept 2007 to August 2008. There is not a prorated system. This keeps things simple for the folks who do renewals. VCDL is an all volunteer organization that has more important things to take care of than figuring out when everyone is up for renewal. If all memberships come up for renewal in Aug then it is easier for them to keep track of everything an update member roles etc.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

N8 wrote:
N8, I understand what you're saying. VCDL does have a few quirks...but then again, it is not an accounting firm. They have some work to do. On the other hand, they are out there doing what is most important. That's protecting our rights and furthering our ability to carry firearms.

I am NOT a fan of the NRA. That said, they are top notch about taking your money, getting your cards to you and keeping your membership straight. They just aren't very effective at protecting your rights. Too many deals.

Some day VCDL will get all the bugs out but for now I'd rather see the bugs in the membership rolls rather than on the General Assembly floor.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

peter nap wrote:
N8 wrote:
N8, I understand what you're saying. VCDL does have a few quirks...but then again, it is not an accounting firm. They have some work to do. On the other hand, they are out there doing what is most important. That's protecting our rights and furthering our ability to carry firearms.

I am NOT a fan of the NRA. That said, they are top notch about taking your money, getting your cards to you and keeping your membership straight. They just aren't very effective at protecting your rights. Too many deals.

Some day VCDL will get all the bugs out but for now I'd rather see the bugs in the membership rolls rather than on the General Assembly floor.
Thanks Joe! I didn't know that...I just pay them when they come in:lol:

Bubba Ron

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
N8 wrote:
I will help you to understand. The membership you purchased in march of 08 was for calendar year Sept 2007 to August 2008. There is not a prorated system. This keeps things simple for the folks who do renewals. VCDL is an all volunteer organization that has more important things to take care of than figuring out when everyone is up for renewal. If all memberships come up for renewal in Aug then it is easier for them to keep track of everything an update member roles etc.
Actually, VCDL membership runs from October 1 to September 30 every year. The first year of membership is the only year that may not be a full year. Our Membership Coordinator is very good at responding to questions. Maybe she is not available right now, like others have said, we are all volunteers. Thanks for being a member!!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Actually, VCDL membership runs from October 1 to September 30 every year. The first year of membership is the only year that may not be a full year. Our Membership Coordinator is very good at responding to questions. Maybe she is not available right now, like others have said, we are all volunteers. Thanks for being a member!!
And if you join after mid-year (I want to say mid-April; I'm not certain of the date), your membership runs almost a year and a half, because you have less than half a year remaining. If you joined in March, you had more than half the year. Maybe not fair you didn't know that, but there has to be some cutoff point.

As for the Defender, my bad. I didn't get out a December issue. The next one is going to the Board for approval (hopefully) tonight, and should be at the printer early next week for printing and mailing. No excuse. I screwed up.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Tess wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
And if you join after mid-year (I want to say mid-April; I'm not certain of the date), your membership runs almost a year and a half, because you have less than half a year remaining. If you joined in March, you had more than half the year. Maybe not fair you didn't know that, but there has to be some cutoff point.

As for the Defender, my bad. I didn't get out a December issue. The next one is going to the Board for approval (hopefully) tonight, and should be at the printer early next week for printing and mailing. No excuse. I screwed up.
Thanks for adding that Tess, I was not sure of the date either!! And your Defenders are worth the wait :)

wylde007

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Keep your membership and stay active. Ask questions if you are concerned but don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
I learned very early on not to ask questions. My first exposure to the workings and attitudes of VCDL were very discouraging.

I'm sorry to say that my membership will not be renewed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Keep your membership and stay active. Ask questions if you are concerned but don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
I learned very early on not to ask questions. My first exposure to the workings and attitudes of VCDL were very discouraging.

Then I really am sorry I started the thread. EVERYONE loses a little!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

This isn't really a forum where we tolerate vague accusations. Neither is it the place for such.

If you have something, the first thing would be to put it on correct channels. If no satisfaction, then ask around here why such-and-such policy might be in place, etc.

I've talked or exchanged e-mails with Philip and leadership so many times I've lost count. Not once have I had a problem worth mention. Philip has always been polite and responsive. As have the rest of the leadership.

If you have a problem, please follow it up on regular channels or ask for an Executive Member to contact you by PM. There are a number of executive members of VCDL on this board.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Citizen wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

This isn't really a forum where we tolerate vague accusations. Neither is it the place for such.

If you have something, the first thing would be to put it on correct channels. If no satisfaction, then ask around here why such-and-such policy might be in place, etc.

I've talked or exchanged e-mails with Philip and leadership so many times I've lost count. Not once have I had a problem worth mention. Philip has always been polite and responsive. As have the rest of the leadership.

If you have a problem, please follow it up on regular channels or ask for an Executive Member to contact you by PM. There are a number of executive members of VCDL on this board.
Which one of us are you talking to Citizen?
Never mind, I see where you snipped my reply!:p

wylde007

imported post

Citizen wrote:
It wasn't an accusation by any means. It was an expression of my personal experience and opinion. Has that been outlawed?

It strikes me that my opinion is not entirely unique.

Would you prefer it if I was more specific? I was deliberately trying not to be so that my opinion wouldn't come off as a possible personal commentary on another forum member.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
It wasn't an accusation by any means. It was an expression of my personal experience and opinion. Has that been outlawed?

It strikes me that my opinion is not entirely unique.

Would you prefer it if I was more specific? I was deliberately trying not to be so that my opinion wouldn't come off as a possible personal commentary on another forum member.

OK. Now I understand. Thank you for clearing that up. I do get that you were not trying tosneakily blacken VCDL by leaving an un-rebuttablyvague comment.

As a VCDL member for the last (3?) years, I do recommend taking up your grievance again. Perhaps post a request for an executive member of VCDLto contact you via PM on this forum.

Or,I would be willing to try to help. Just PM me. I'm not an EM, but I should be able to figure where to get any answers I don't have.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Not directed at the OP.
[line]
Do you belong to other organizations?
Do you agree with everything they do/say?

If youaren't a LM or a member for 5 continuous yrs you have no vote in the NRA.

I can live without reading the bylaws.
The work the volunteers do is worth the $25 annually.
I'll try to give more of my time for this worth while organization.

IMHO, every gun owner in VA has benefited from the work this organization has done.

All VCDL members could one day be a Board member or EM, do you think that is possible with NRA/GOA.
With the NRA the membership selects the leadership.

GOA is basically a family business. So called members have no say whatsoever in the running of the organization or selecting its leadership. It seems like VCDL is run in a similar way.

VCDL is not alone in operating this way. Many more or less private organizations operate like this. Even to the point of having secret meetings and secret bylaws.

If you don't like the way they operate, don't join.

Marco

imported post

ilbob wrote: snip
Your comment is way off base if it isdirected @ me.

VCDL is the best Gun Rights organization in VA, imho.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
ilbob wrote: snip
Your comment is way off base if it isdirected @ me.

VCDL is the best Gun Rights organization in VA, imho.
Damn right! Deleted for Good Friday!
Agent 19's dedication is beyond question! Not sure who the remark was directed at.

You know, I started this just because I didn't know how VCDL chose the board members or the EM's. I had one question about one of the new EM's because I wonder where their political priorities are..I did not question their work for the pro gun community.

I DID NOT start it as a bash VCDL thread. I spend hundreds of dollars a year to pay for new members that would have trouble paying the dues.

I do not work the gun shows often but do stop at the table and offer to spell the members that are working. I try to support the group any way I can.

I've said this many times, VCDL is the best thing that has ever happened to gun owners in this state.

Someone was giving me a lecture on the net the other day about needing all gunowners to get along. I told him it wouldn't happen.....BUT VCDL gets them close enough to be a massive force in Va politics.