• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One- or the other - or both??

friscolatchi

imported post

Ok, here's my 2 cents. What do you think?

1 - in NY you have a CC for life, no tests, no re-certs.
smile.gif

2 - would you sacrifice carry concealed for open carry only?

3- In NYS, can we open carryon DEC lands, not just during hunting season?

While I think that there are a lot of restrictions in NYS, I feel that getting and retaining the permit was relatively easy. However, I would like to be able to open carry my handgun when hiking or backpacking, fishing and hunting. I also feel that having both options CC and OC would be the best of both worlds. Are there any states that allow both? Vt I believe is one.

scuba_steve

imported post

I live in Virginia and we are a "shall issue" state for CC...and open carry is not expressly prohibited unless a business or property owner posts a ban. By default, it is allowed because there is no law preventing it.

Personally, I don't like to OC. I'd rather be discrete...for a number of reasons. That said, we can't CC in any establishment with an "on-premises" liquor license...so some folks expose their handgun when dining in such a place...since the only other option is to leave it in the car.

WheelGun

imported post

If you want to stay in New York, but are willing to relocate within the state, go to Delaware County. We are surounded by some of the most spectacular scenery east of the Mississippi (such as the NYC watershed reserviors) and have carry laws that are 180 degress opposite what you would expect of this state. Personally I do not feel comfortable OCing yet, having spent most of my life down state. However I see people OCing in the back country all the time, and occasionally in town. We are only four hours from NYC but have no malls, no cities, and few factories. Of course any region, however quaint has its social problems, but ours are fewer simply because fewer people live here.

BillMCyrus

imported post

Gotta have concealed carry to be able to exercise one's 2A rights among modern society without discrimination and retaliation against you for doing so. Sucks but that's the way it is until we get firearms ownership re-normalized in pop culture. We need to do so and we've got a lot of work ahead.