• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Almost shot a guy while 4X4ing today

sempercarry

imported post

I went 4 wheeling in my Bronco today with my brother atGeneral Plastics... OCing my Glock23. I was idling around looking for another good mud hole when I noticed something orange in the bushes in front of me. It became shockingly apparent to me that it was the magazine of an AK-74 that was intentionally andwith a tactical stance,pointed right at me.....First things first....OH F#$% ME...2nd.....Drew my weapon and started to raise it at the guy while shifting into reverse. I almost pulled a shot offwhen I noticed a few other guys withanHK G-36c, an HK USP,a Glock 18 and an FN P90(not PS90)The only one with an orange tipped barrel was the USP, .....I drove into the middle ofan air soft match. I remember being 15 with a Glock 27 air soft gun with an orange tipped barrel that I painted over to look cool but I was smart enough not to take it out in public let alone point it at anybody. I drove over to the kids (teenagers) and told him how close he got to getting shot....he didn't seemed convinced of the danger and he and his friend blew me off and kept playing:cuss:....pinheads

TechnoWeenie

imported post

There have been instances of kids shooting airsoft at people and getting real rounds returned.

2 instances in particular I remember, one at a taco bell where a cpl holder saw a guy withy a gun pointed at him, another where a bunch of kids borrowed moms SUV and thought it would be cool to point airsoft mp5s/aks/etc out the window at motorists, moms suv came back with a few holes in it..

jeeper1

imported post

Drew my weapon and started to raise it at the guy while shifting into reverse.

Are you a lefty also? Driving is one of the few things where being a lefty has the advantage.

Mad Pick

imported post

Little bastards. :cuss:

That's some pretty scary stuff, because of course YOU (the shooter) would almost certainly be in a world of hot water even though -- in my mind, anyhow -- you wouldn't be at fault.

I walk my dogs through some wooded areas where kids play airsoft, and I've wondered about that same scenario. At least I know that they are airsoft areas, though, so I'd probably be a little slower to draw.

sempercarry

imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
Drew my weapon and started to raise it at the guy while shifting into reverse.

Are you a lefty also? Driving is one of the few things where being a lefty has the advantage.
No...im a rightey....it is an automatic on the collum so it was pretty akward but not to hard to do. Our platoon has done pretty good training with this exact scenerio as well as many othersand it kicked in just like it should.

MetalChris

imported post

Holy frak dude! Glad you where able to realize what was going on before you pulled the trigger.

Stupid effin kids.

sempercarry

imported post

Kildars wrote:
Good discretion. You would have been in some @#$% for shooting some kids playing airsoft even though I'd agree with the shot.

I think I would have been ok....even though i would probably feel like shit. I know guns....better than %99.999 of cops and I gauruntee they would have taken the shot. From 2 feet away I could read the markings on the side of the weapon "5.45mm" and some writing in Russian. Any person of reasonable and understanding would take his actions as temper and intent to use deadly force.....just incase you were wondering:

Temper and intent- The attitude and objectives of an individual displayed by his actions and equipment.

Deadly force- That force which a person uses with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, or which a reasonable person would consider likely to create a substantial risk of causing death or serious bodily harm.

Serious bodily harm- Injuries which have a strong potential to be life threatening. These injuries may result in the permanent loss of use of an organ or limb, fractured or dislocated bones, deep cuts, torn members of the body or serious damage to internal or sensory organs

BTW I am a deadly force application and justification instructor. (self defense)

KBCraig

imported post

Yet another example of why I don't let my kids play with toy guns.

All of my kids (five of 'em, from 6 to 21) own real guns. The one time I let the youngest have a water pistol (because a relative gave it to him), we warned him that the rules were the same as for a real gun: "Never point it at people or pets!"

I gave him one warning when he was pointing it at a cat. When he pointed it at his sister, I took it away and stomped it into a thousand pieces on the concrete.

Back to real guns, no more toys. They seem to respect real guns a whole lot more.

adamsesq

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Yet another example of why I don't let my kids play with toy guns.

All of my kids (five of 'em, from 6 to 21) own real guns. The one time I let the youngest have a water pistol (because a relative gave it to him), we warned him that the rules were the same as for a real gun: "Never point it at people or pets!"

I gave him one warning when he was pointing it at a cat. When he pointed it at his sister, I took it away and stomped it into a thousand pieces on the concrete.

Back to real guns, no more toys. They seem to respect real guns a whole lot more.

+10000000000 and more. I feel just the same way KB.

-adamsesq

sempercarry

imported post

when he pointed it at me.....it just didn't make much sense. an ak74 aint that rare but all the other guns were and was just unprovoked. Had i not seen his friends, i may have put a couple rounds down range though.

Vandal

imported post

I play airsoft, but only during a sanctioned match on an actual airsoft or paintball field. I play with Spokane Airsoft and we have had some pretty intense discussion about playing in the public woods and the hazards associated with it. Most of us paint over our orange tips because they do give away position in the match.

That kid is very lucky you were able to ID the threat and not pull the trigger.

compmanio365

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
So we can enjoy recreational activities wherever we choose to, but the kids can't. On property that is not under our ownership or control.
That's not the point....the point is some stupid kid decided to take the orange tip off his airsoft gun (which is on there for exactly this point) and then pointed it at someone, someone who happened to be armed with something besides a toy, and would have been justified in pulling the trigger on this kid. Luckily, it didn't happen that way, but he would have been justified in doing so. Nothing to do with property rights or saying the kids can't do airsoft......sempercarry wasn't playing their game, and by removing the orange tip, the kid made it so it was much harder to make a judgement call on whether it was a real gun or not.

Nitrox314

imported post

You said you saw orange though? I am no expert on AK-47's but wouldn't that indicate a trainer or fake of somesort? I would have done the same regardless. When I was a teen, I was walking up the road to my girlfriend's (Future wife) house at night. At one of the intersections I was crossing a carful of girls drove up and they were laughing. I looked up to see a gun pointed at me. It was probably fake, but it looked real so I tried not to notice and walk away. I figured that if they were going to do something, I wouldn't be able to outrun them in a car anyways. Scared the crud outta me though. If it were me now I would have drawn and scared the crap out of them instead. Like I said, it was probably fake, but I would not bet my life on it.

Pagan

imported post

I play airsoft on my private property, and call the sherriff's office about 1 hour before we start, and I warn my neighbors that they may see a bunch of guys in camo running around with guns and masks on, just for this very reason.

The sherriff office usually ask how many people will be playing and for how long, they too seem interested in safety. As we have also painted over our orange tips for better tactics, my M16 commando is VERY realistic as is my Sigma gas blowback pistol with silencer, and my G3's are down right scary looking,lol.

Pagan

imported post

Nitrox314 wrote:
You said you saw orange though? I am no expert on AK-47's but wouldn't that indicate a trainer or fake of somesort?
Actually AK-74 mags are some times an orange color not blaze orange but kinda tan/orange andI have seen some that are just regular oragne not blaze, but orange.

compmanio365

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Red "bravo" flags to the entrance to the property? That would fix it. Maybe with the word "AIRSOFT" printed on it. If I saw a red flag with airsoft on it, I would know what it meant.
That sounds like a good idea. That and leaving the damn orange tip where it belongs.