• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Almost shot a guy while 4X4ing today

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Aren't orange markers required by federal law?

Federal Regulations, Title 15, Part 1150, it clearly states that these orange markings must be "permanently affixed to the muzzle end of the barrel as an integral part of the entire device

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Federal Regulations, Title 15, Part 1150, it clearly states that these orange markings must be "permanently affixed to the muzzle end of the barrel as an integral part of the entire device
I think that orange tips are only required until it's privately owned. I seem to remember a thread here on OCDO somewhere (I didn't search and it may have been another forum) that "decided" that as long as the guns are sold with the orange tip, that's all that the law wants. Once you own the gun you're free to cover it, remove it or whatever.

I don't play Airsoft at all, however, so I don't stay up on laws surrounding it and I could be completely wrong.

PT111

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

You can't remove it but you can paint over it I suppose. Maybe have it chrome plated. ;)

adamsesq

imported post

Orange tips are a great idea but are you not going to defend yourself if someone is pointing an orange tip weapon at you in a threatening manner? Don't you think criminals are smart enough to paint the end of their real gun orange to get that extra edge on someone?

-adamsesq

Vandal

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

That is for the importation of the airsoft weapon into the United States. Once they are here, you can start to modify then to your heart's content. I have a full size M16A3 and have painted the tip black on it. It is a dead ringer for a real M16. I transport it to and from events in a plastic gun case with a bright red muzzle cover on the end.

Playing airsoft take a bit of common sense, of course I am lucky enough to be in an area where we have a league and teams with controlled games and multi-day ops.

compmanio365

imported post

Exactly, it's all about common sense. And the situation. If a guy out in the woods with a bunch of friends all running around with airsoft guns with orange tips on them accidentally points one at me thinking I'm one of his rivals, I might be a little peeved, but I wouldn't think there was any real danger there. If you want to paint your orange tip black and make it look like a real gun, then you better be damned careful not to point it at anyone else, even in the woods, otherwise you are asking to be shot.

If some punk rolling around in the ghetto pulls out a gun and points it at me, orange tip or not, he's gonna get drawn on, for exactly the reason described; for all I know he could have painted a real gun with an orange tip. More than likely in that situation, that person will run away so they don't get shot....if not, too bad for them, cause I'm not waiting to get shot myself.

It's all about the situation and what's most likely to happen in the time and place you are at.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Common sense is much more important than following some arbitrary regulation by playing with orange tips.

FWIW, I wouldn't use orange tips either. (Then again, I don't play airsoft ATM so it's a moot point).

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

sempercarry wrote:
I went 4 wheeling in my Bronco today with my brother atGeneral Plastics... OCing my Glock23. I was idling around looking for another good mud hole when I noticed something orange in the bushes in front of me. It became shockingly apparent to me that it was the magazine of an AK-74 that was intentionally andwith a tactical stance,pointed right at me.....First things first....OH F#$% ME...2nd.....Drew my weapon and started to raise it at the guy while shifting into reverse. I almost pulled a shot offwhen I noticed a few other guys withanHK G-36c, an HK USP,a Glock 18 and an FN P90(not PS90)The only one with an orange tipped barrel was the USP, .....I drove into the middle ofan air soft match. I remember being 15 with a Glock 27 air soft gun with an orange tipped barrel that I painted over to look cool but I was smart enough not to take it out in public let alone point it at anybody. I drove over to the kids (teenagers) and told him how close he got to getting shot....he didn't seemed convinced of the danger and he and his friend blew me off and kept playing:cuss:....pinheads
B.S. Maybe your Command Staff need to read your B.S. on this forum.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
Orange tips are a great idea but are you not going to defend yourself if someone is pointing an orange tip weapon at you in a threatening manner? Don't you think criminals are smart enough to paint the end of their real gun orange to get that extra edge on someone?

-adamsesq
LOL! Don't shoot me, it's airsoft, I'll sue!

Pow! Tricked ya!!!!!!

swatspyder

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
adamsesq wrote:

-adamsesq

Pow! Tricked ya!!!!!!
Isn't one of the main rules of handling firearms... "Don't point your firearm at anything you do not intend to destroy?"

That means that any gun, if pointed at yourself, would be considered an immediate threat and should be interpreted as deadly force.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
Poosharker wrote:
adamsesq wrote:

-adamsesq

Pow! Tricked ya!!!!!!
Isn't one of the main rules of handling firearms... "Don't point your firearm at anything you do not intend to destroy?"

That means that any gun, if pointed at yourself, would be considered an immediate threat and should be interpreted as deadly force.

I can think of two scenarios.

1. Guy points a 6mm pellet gun at you, you fire, he's dead, jury isn't so merciful and you go to da jail bad boy.

2. Turns out, it's a smart criminal, and you shoot him, he's down, when police arrive, they later tell you, oh snapizzle it was a real gun painted! Good job man!

What kind of badass thug paints their gun orange? That would hurt their ego, they supposed to be gangsta shizznit homey g because of their "magnum" or "strap". If I saw that, I would conclude, damn that guy is smart, or damn, that guy is colorblind.

Sure, there are more than 2 scenarios, but I am going to leave it at that.

I agree that, guns/bb guns shouldn't be pointed at people, but if you shoot a person that has a toy gun with an orange tip....jury might not like that.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
1. Guy points a 6mm pellet gun at you, you fire, he's dead, jury isn't so merciful and you go to da jail bad boy.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Well this is all speculation.

I'm just listing a couple possible outcomes.

Too bad you only have that attitude when your ass is on the line....:)

sempercarry

imported post

Big dave appears to like calling me a liar.....guess he is going through my threads and picking out things that he thinks aren't true or he is just being an obnoxious troll.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

sempercarry wrote:
Big dave appears to like calling me a liar.....guess he is going through my threads and picking out things that he thinks aren't true or he is just being an obnoxious troll.
I would not have known about this thread until you referenced it in another current thread and B.S. is B.S.

Why did you go back and delete those post you claiming you did this and that?
A Guilty Mind maybe or do not want others in a position to judge to see what you have written.

Are you afraid they would see you in a light of seeking out trouble or making up stories? neither would really be good, would it?

I have looked over a few other post and some good and the ones I addressed are the story time ones, heck I did not even post on the one where you tried to gain access into a restricted area posing as Official Military Business, if it was Official you would have been in Military Dress and or with Military Police ID.

sempercarry

imported post

Posing? You need to stop assuming you know what you are talking about, you're making an ass of yourself.

sirpuma

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
I can think of two scenarios.

2. Turns out, it's a smart criminal, and you shoot him, he's down, when police arrive, they later tell you, oh snapizzle it was a real gun painted! Good job man!

What kind of badass thug paints their gun orange? That would hurt their ego, they supposed to be gangsta shizznit homey g because of their "magnum" or "strap". If I saw that, I would conclude, damn that guy is smart, or damn, that guy is colorblind.

Sure, there are more than 2 scenarios, but I am going to leave it at that.

I agree that, guns/bb guns shouldn't be pointed at people, but if you shoot a person that has a toy gun with an orange tip....jury might not like that.
Not to help continue raising a dead thread, but ...

There have been several cases across the country of teen age boys being killed or hospitalized after pointing their altered airsoft guns at cops. Not one of the cops when to jail. The shootings were deemed justified because the "toy" looked real enough that the cop had reasonable fear for his life. These stupid kids spend hundred for the most realistic airsoft guns then alter them to look even more real. Then they do stupid thing with them, like point them or even shoot them at people not involved in a game.