• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another open carry question

dyna962007

imported post

I've always wondered about this and happened on to this site and found it amazing there is a whole site devoted to this issue.

Guys, follow along please. Under the law, its the CONCEALED part of carrying a weapon that has always been the aggravating part of the crime. Carrying a weapon in plain view is something that the common guy would think is totally illegal and more so than concealing a weapon. The average Joe would think you are nuts to walk around with a holstered weapon in fully view BUT,, I think that carrying in plain view is probably legal according to most state statues. Its the local ordinances in most municipalities that get you on this open carry, not State law.

Let me ask you guys this, once a person is issued a CCW in a particular state, would you imagine that he is able to carry in full view as well?
Can we assume that a CCW permit is synonymous with permission to carry holstered in plain view???

Just got my License to carry in Pennsylvania and I actually live in Illinois. Note the PA license says "license to carry" NOT license to carry concealed. I assume then that as far as it goes in PA, you are able to carry in plain view. Is this the case in other states too where the permit specifically say "Permit to carry Concealed" ??

thanks guys, Mike

david.ross

imported post

In PA, you have the right to carry a firearm in plain view without a license. If you are in ANY vehicle, you must have an LTCF or a permit from any other state. An LTCF or license with reciprocity is required to enter a city of first class, Philadelphia.

I'm a resident of Alaska and like to visit Pittsburgh. *sarcasm: yeah who likes to visit Pittsburgh except the insane*

When I'm on foot, I'll leave ALL my information in a secure location or my vehicle, unless in Philly. You aren't required at all to provide identification to officers. Provide your name, city/state of residence.

You may think I'm being harsh to officers, many of them understand except the ones who perhaps have control issues. I know one of the Lieutenants I spoke with in the PGH PD completely agreed with my bad encounter.

The yearly police training program will be covering open carry this year, however I agree with the Lt, "Ignorance is no excuse for not knowing the law."

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

Welcome to OCDO dyna.

Most CCW permits/licenses simply allow a person to conceal their handgun if they so choose, of course there variations throughout the states.

It's like having a driver's license, that doesn't mean that I can no longer walk, ride a bicycle or take a bus. A driver's license allows me to drive myself if I feel like it, just like my Concealed Handgun Permit allows me to hide my gun from view if I want.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

In Virginia, the two are separate and distinct concepts. Here laws are written and passed to control what you cannot do, not what you can do. Therefore, since there are no laws regarding open carry, that becomes the default. To carry concealed is the exception which, unfortunately, requires permission from our employees.