• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

please respond

pescar

imported post

im not trying to be stupid it comes natural..jk.k. ijust want to know if i can walk out out my house .. to the store and not be harrased.i know you cant gurantee that ..butmost of the time??? i have ccw.ed for 3 years.. i talked to my cousin today and he told me about your site.. i looked at it for hours ..cpl ..ccw ? can i wear my gun exsposed at all times..i have a ccw so can i do both.. carry ccw and oc??

Dan F.

imported post

Your question seems slightly rhetorical. If you've read the posts regarding OC in this forum, the decision is yours. The decision to OC or not is one that should be made (for now) with the possibility of an encounter with the police. Based on what I've read in this forum and my personal conversations with police officers, there is still a lot of disparity in how open carry is addressed by the police. If you've read the comments from other posters, you've read that OC has been met with total indifference on the one hand and confrontation by the police on the other. As you've already pointed out, there's no guarantees. The law...and the interpretation by the state attorney general and the Michigan State Police are squarely in favor of lawful open carry. The doctrine of individual police officers and departments, however, is widely varied.

custom.45acp

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Sorry but someone has to say it...

pescar, Please STOP STARTING NEW THREADS ABOUT THE SAME STUFF!

You're being VERY annoying.
If you posted this on all the repeated threads, you could have a full time job just doing this!

Bronson

imported post

Pescar,

We are having an Open Carry picnic in Battle Creek's Friendship Park onMay 24th at noon. Come on over and OC with a group or just come and see what DOESN'T happen when people OC.

Bronson

EM87

imported post

I've open carried in Kalamazoo past quite a few police officers and have not had a problem, but that's not so say you shouldn't be prepared for one. If you haven't already, check out the stickied thread called 'wash, rinse, repeat'.

So far I've had two people get really nervous/freak out at the sight of my gun, but other than that OCing in Kalamazoo has been fine.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EM87 wrote:
I've open carried in Kalamazoo past quite a few police officers and have not had a problem, but that's not so say you shouldn't be prepared for one. If you haven't already, check out the stickied thread called 'wash, rinse, repeat'.

So far I've had two people get really nervous/freak out at the sight of my gun, but other than that OCing in Kalamazoo has been fine.
EM87, what was the circumstances surrounding the outcome of their response? Location, in a store, outside, etc?

EM87

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
EM87 wrote:

EM87, what was the circumstances surrounding the outcome of their response?  Location, in a store, outside, etc?

I'm not going to post the long versions of the stories since I'm rather tired, but I'll include all the relevant details.

First story:
I was biking with a friend the other day and had to stop at a gas station to get some WD-40 for my chain. We rode up and parked the bikes outside. I was OCing and my friend wasn't carrying. Inside I went straight to the auto shelves with my strong side away from the cashier. I grabbed what I needed and went up to the counter with my arm tight to my strong side so the cashier (young middle eastern guy) couldn't see it. (I wanted to give myself some time to be extra friendly before he saw that I was packing so that when he did notice, hopefully he would not be alarmed.) I paid with my debit card (so as to give him more reason to not think I was robbing the place - I was leaving identity information) and walked outside with my friend to fix the rusty chain on my bike. We had taken probably 5 minutes just outside the door to lube the chain (with my strong side towards the store window the whole time) and were standing over our bikes while we discussed where we wanted to ride to. It was then that the cashier poked his head out the door.

"Are you waiting for someone?"

"No, we were just WD-40ing my bike chain. We're about to leave."

*Pause* Cashier looks uncomfortable.

With a worried look he says, "... Can you leave fast?"

"We're just about to leave right now."

"Can you leave fast?"

"Uhh, ok."

We rode away.

Second story:
I was OCing in the mall (Crossroads in Kalamazoo) with a friend who was wearing an empty holster (he's not comfortable with public OC yet - I jumped right into it as soon as I could!) Nothing was out of the ordinary (we even walked past a security guard, but she was on my weak side and didn't notice a thing... so oblivious) until we walked out of the bookstore and to a kiosk in the hall. I wasn't aware of what happened until after we left when my friend told me about it. From what he said, this is what happened:

We walked out of the bookstore and past a cell phone kiosk to another kiosk just out of sight of the first one. At the cell phone kiosk was an employee on a cell phone. He glanced at me then noticed my Glock holstered in my Serpa on my hip. He had been pacing but immediately stopped with a panicked look on his face while he simultaneously took two or three steps back as if recoiling from a heavy blow, and then said (with fear) to whoever he was on the phone with (and I quote) "There's a guy with a gun, he's going to shoot someone!" Thankfully he didn't yell it, because there probably would have been a commotion, police, and a long day for me.

When he saw me I was holding a bag containing items I'd bought from another store and was dressed normally (jeans and a hoodie, hood not up). Obviously robbing and not shopping... (sarcasm) We left within 5 minutes because we had what we needed. There were no police that I saw there, or on the way home. They may have been called for all I know, but didn't get there before I left.

I wish I would have heard this comment because I would have approached the guy and showed him how friendly OCers can be. This kind of thing is frustrating but hopefully he'll see what didn't happen and conclude that maybe I really wasn't there to harm anyone, but instead just there to shop with the knowledge that I could save lives had there been a mall shooting.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Thanks EM87 for the details. Most of the time, fortunately, those who OC, experience non-events in doing so. However, it's beneficial for the other members to know the circumstances involved in a situation such as yours.

I try to make it a habit to hold something in my strong (right) hand (a coffee, a pop, keys, credit card, etc.) if I plan to confront an individual, store clerk, etc, that knows/will know I'm carrying. I think it will help set a persons mind at ease as opposed to having your strong hand just hangdown near the gun.

autosurgeon

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
Thanks EM87 for the details. Most of the time, fortunately, those who OC, experience non-events in doing so. However, it's beneficial for the other members to know the circumstances involved in a situation such as yours.

I try to make it a habit to hold something in my strong (right) hand (a coffee, a pop, keys, credit card, etc.) if I plan to confront an individual, store clerk, etc, that knows/will know I'm carrying. I think it will help set a persons mind at ease as opposed to having your strong hand just hangdown near the gun.
I do this as well .. anyway if I needed to draw I would just drop whatever was in my hand and go for my gun all in the same motion so I doubt it would slow me down much.. it does seem to calm people down if you don't look like you are ready to draw:lol:

pescar

imported post

thanks em87 for the reply I have yet to see anyone oc in the zoo. but im looking forward to doing so.. I just may start out gander mt. I hear their on board 100%..you know just to get the jitter bugs out and what not.. Thanks again

Dan F.

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:

That is some really good advice for initial contact with unfamiliar persons.

pescar

imported post

well theres a hooters right next door. I thought I might even try that.. not sure on where they stand with this issue.. i guess we will just have to see.. thanks

ghostrider

imported post

pescar wrote:
thanks em87 for the reply I have yet to see anyone oc in the zoo. but im looking forward to doing so.. I just may start out gander mt. I hear their on board 100%..you know just to get the jitter bugs out and what not.. Thanks again
While Gander Mountain (as a corporate decision) appears to be on board, there have been instances of individual employees taking exception. Just because a place has been reported to accept OC doesn't mean there will be no problems. You still need to be prepared to deal with interaction with anyone who may question you about it. This goes for everywhere, not just GM. You could come across a LEO who isn't on board inside the GM.

It still applies that you must be profecient in the threads, "MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE", and "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT". If that doesn't give you the confidence to OC, then understand that you may still get questioned by people about it. Individuals have their own agendas regardless of corporate policy or law. Espicially at a retail job, it's entirely possible that they could do things on their own regardless of policy. This actually did happen at a GM where an employee told an OC'er they couldn't OC in the store.

My point is, knowing that they are on board at the corporate level, does not mean you still won't have to deal with it at the store. Be preppared.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
pescar wrote:
While Gander Mountain (as a corporate decision) appears to be on board, there have been instances of individual employees taking exception. Just because a place has been reported to accept OC doesn't mean there will be no problems. You still need to be prepared to deal with interaction with anyone who may question you about it. This goes for everywhere, not just GM. You could come across a LEO who isn't on board inside the GM.

It still applies that you must be profecient in the threads, "MICHIGAN OPEN CARRY INFO HERE", and "WASH, RINSE, REPEAT". If that doesn't give you the confidence to OC, then understand that you may still get questioned by people about it. Individuals have their own agendas regardless of corporate policy or law. Espicially at a retail job, it's entirely possible that they could do things on their own regardless of policy. This actually did happen at a GM where an employee told an OC'er they couldn't OC in the store.

My point is, knowing that they are on board at the corporate level, does not mean you still won't have to deal with it at the store. Be preppared.

Just to add:

One other factor to take into consideration is thatthe employees who are either associates, management or loss prevention do not always work the same hours anddays, each and every week. For example, one day you may OC into a store you frequent often and the employees/owner may not even bat an eye. The next day you return to the same store at the same time of day you were there the day before and you are asked to leave. Of course, there are many factors and scenarios but this is certainly one of them.

pescar

imported post

I agree and I am prepared and ready for whatever might come my way. i have gone over all that i have been able to find. I have been on the report your oc exsperiences site for about 3 days.. I also have read all the attached law threads over and over.. not to say I know it all now not by any meansbut im pretty confidient I can handle a situation if need be. WASH. RINSE. REPEAT. thanks for your support and reply ghostrider...

ps. are any of you going to the event on the 24th at noonat battle creeks friendship park??