• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slightly OT: Glock detail strip/cleaning/inspection?

grishnav

imported post

Well, my EDC Glock's are getting to be about a year old now (*sniff sniff*) and I figure it's time to give them a good detail strip/cleaning/inspection... but I'm not particularly mechanically inclined and a wee bit nervous about doing it myself.

I'm wondering if there's anyone in the (Seattle) area that's thourough, trustworthy, and reasonably priced that I could give them to to be torn down, thouroughly cleaned, inspected, and have any prematurely worn parts replaced. (Guns only have a couple thousand rounds a piece through 'em, so aside from maybe doing some of the springs "just in case," I think there shouldn' tbe anything that needs replacing.)

Bonus points for someone who is willing to walk me through the detail strip process and show me what to look for in terms of improper wear/replacement items. Yeah, I've seen all the videos on Youtube and stuff, I'm just not confident I could detail strip it (or, more specifically, I'm sure I could get it apart, but getting it back together...), so it'd be nice to have someone close by who knows what they are doing the first time I go for it. Even happy to have someone on the board do it if ya want to earn a few extra bucks, just as long as you know what you're doing.

So, any ideas? Recommendations? Takers?

SpyderTattoo

imported post

Isn't a Glock supposed to run with sand and mud all in it and such? I thought Glocks were the most reliable running handguns ever... like the AK of handguns.

;)

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Yes, proper care and maintenance are important for your Glock to remain functional and reliable. I shoot anywhere from 100-300 rounds a month on average through all three of my Glocks and clean them religiously on a regular schedule.

No matter what else I have going on in my life, I tear them all down every Feb 29th, give the bore a quick scrub, brush out the lint and guck, and give 'em a squirt of lube.

Trigger Dr

imported post

911Boss,

I tear them all down every Feb 29th, give the bore a quick scrub, brush out the lint and guck, and give 'em a squirt of lube.

Every 4 years on leap year. No wonder they need cleaning :D:D

grishnav

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Yes, proper care and maintenance are important for your Glock to remain functional and reliable. I shoot anywhere from 100-300 rounds a month on average through all three of my Glocks and clean them religiously on a regular schedule.

No matter what else I have going on in my life, I tear them all down every Feb 29th, give the bore a quick scrub, brush out the lint and guck, and give 'em a squirt of lube.
Yeah. I field strip mine the 15th of every month, blow out the lint, clean up the dust, and apply a light coating of lubricant if it's needed (often it's not), but I've never detail stripped it.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

I use gunpowder to clean my GLOCKS.I'll go to the range, load a round into the lint-lined barrel, point downrange at a safe target, and BOOM! Lint has been removed from barrel! It's MAGIC! And whenever I feel that I need to lube the gun, I'll drop it in a mud puddle and cycle the action a couple times!

In all seriousness, though, the GLOCK is the easiest handgun to detail strip and replace parts in (if ever necessary). You shouldn't have any problems. I'm in Tacoma and willing to walk you through it too, if you need.

There was a rental Gen II G17 at the range I worked at a couple years back that I had wiped the outside down a couple of times, just so that it didn't dirty up peoples' hands, but had been better than 10K rounds since it's last full cleaning.(Try THAT with your precious 1911's!)It had never malfunctioned, and was purposely left uncleaned as part of an unofficial "torture" test. Whenever it would start to cycle slow (still functioning perfectly), I'd throw another drop of oil on the barrel hood and viola! it was good for another 2500 rounds! Gotta love those GLOCKs!

Ijust got a new G22 RTF2 yesterday (Rough Frame Texture), and I can't wait to put some rounds through it!

Richard6218

imported post

If you decide to get educated about this, here are a couple of excellent resources.

First is a DVD from http://www.americangunsmith.com This has a detailed procedure for stripping, cleaning and re-assembling Glock pistols. You can order from the website or call 800-797-0867. Title of the DVD is Technical Manual and Armorer's Course Glock Pistols. This is where I first heard about using Simple Green to clean guns (see the thread on that subject, elsewhere).

There is also a VERY detailed and lengthy armorer's manual online in .pdf format, here:

http://gunmanuals.net/Manuals/glock_armorers_manual_update.pdf

This thing is 73 pages in .pdf. I didn't print the entire thing ---there were some sections that I knew I'd never use, so I skipped those.

This is IF you want to tackle it yourself. For now, maybe the best route is to take Morris up on his offer. Between watching him and these courses you'll be ready to do it yourself next time.

grishnav

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
This is off topic, but once you get your Glock cleaned up and put back together, you will need to lube it in the right places. This is my favorite video for Glock lubrication by James Yeager:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc
Does anyone know why he lubes the locking lug? The Glock manuals recommend the other five drops, and that's exactly what I've been doing, except that he uses grease, and I use oil.

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

James and I respectfully disagree on the oiling issue in some areas. One of the things we and Glock have learned over the years is that excessive oil or thicker lubricants can cause malfunctions, particularly when the firing pin channel gets filled. We can have light strikes when the channel gets choked.

Due to on-going problems, Glock did create some armorer tools for getting into the various channels and ports to properly clean. Too much lube is a bad thing. Too little lube and you have accelerated wear issues.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Morris wrote:
James and I respectfully disagree on the oiling issue in some areas. One of the things we and Glock have learned over the years is that excessive oil or thicker lubricants can cause malfunctions, particularly when the firing pin channel gets filled. We can have light strikes when the channel gets choked.

Due to on-going problems, Glock did create some armorer tools for getting into the various channels and ports to properly clean. Too much lube is a bad thing. Too little lube and you have accelerated wear issues.

Agreed. The time I've had to diagnose a GLOCK that was not firing everytime the trigger was pulled, was easily determined once I took the striker w/collar out of it's channel and a huge mess of oily gunpowder gunk came out.

To ensure your firing pin channel is OK, completely empty the gun (check to ensure it's empty 3 times, then do it once again), pull the triggerto releasespring tension on the striker(while pointed in a safe direction), and shake the gun like a salt shaker. If you can hear the striker shaking around in the channel, you are good. If you can't, you have too much gunk in the channel to ensure reliable ignition. (Light strikes)

grishnav

imported post

How in the world are people getting oil and stuff in the firing pin channel? I don't put oil anywhere near it! Drop on the barrel, in each of the slide rails, under the slide where the barrel lug contacts, and on the trigger bar... the five points that the manual recommends.

IanB

imported post

grishnav wrote:
Yeah, I've seen all the videos on Youtube and stuff, I'm just not confident I could detail strip it (or, more specifically, I'm sure I could get it apart, but getting it back together...)
Is this a subtle hint for me to make the long awaited part II video for Glock reassembly?

Part I (disassembly) is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4SA6v6xjE&

Making the reassembly vid has not been a priority for me since once already exists on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HltqNHbZhGs

It's VERY easy, give it a try grishnav. If you run into trouble, get Morris involved. It so easy, a caveman could do it!