• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question on lack of proof of gun ownership

PatMcCotter

Opt-Out Members
imported post

So. I recently moved to CT from NH (physical medical reasons). I am in the process of getting my carry permit but I have a question.

Having acquired my handgun in NH as a NH resident there was no need to have a permit/license to buy it or carry it openly. (And carry license is shall issue.) As a result I did not put the receipt for the gun in a safe spot where it would not get lost in the time between purchase and now.

I know that CT requires a permit for anyone receiving a handgun whether from a FFL or private party.

Is there a requirement for me to prove to anyone (LEO) who asks that I own the gun?

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

I am not sure but I would assume that if you used it in some self defense situation that they would confiscate it (guaranteed this will happen) at that point they will run the numbers and if it was bought at a GS I am sure that there is a record in the system. I wouldnt worry to much about it as long as you have your carry permit.

A quick Edit: I have guns that I purchased as recently as a couple of weeks ago that I couldnt tell you where the receipt is nevermind the guns that I bought more than 25 years ago. Once again dont worry about it

Hef

imported post

goinveg wrote:
So. I recently moved to CT from NH (physical medical reasons). I am in the process of getting my carry permit but I have a question.

Having acquired my handgun in NH as a NH resident there was no need to have a permit/license to buy it or carry it openly. (And carry license is shall issue.) As a result I did not put the receipt for the gun in a safe spot where it would not get lost in the time between purchase and now.

I know that CT requires a permit for anyone receiving a handgun whether from a FFL or private party.

Is there a requirement for me to prove to anyone (LEO) who asks that I own the gun?

The officer must be able to articulate a reasonable suspicion that the gun in your possession is either not yours/stolen and/or has been used in a crime to justify a check on the serial number. If he takes your weapon incidental to a stop, he may do so only to separate you from your weapon for his own safety for the duration of the stop.

uskrusader

imported post

I the gun is in CT, keepit in your residence until you get a CT permit.

Once you get a CT permit, it doesn't matter where you got your firearm from, as longas it was not illegally acquired such as:

1. a non-resident transfer of a hand gun (without aFFL)violates Fed Law

2. acquiring a stolen gun probably violates a myriad of state and federal laws)

If you legally purchased it in your former state of residence, you should be good. I won't ask, and nobody else should ask how the firearm actually came to CT. (bag-o-worms)

(this is not gospel, I am NOT a laywer!)