• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying ammo online

hometheaterman

imported post

A guy on another forum whom I don't think is from VA has some ammo I might be interested in buying. If I bought it from him and he shipped it to me would that be legal? Any special things we would have to do to make it legal?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
A guy on another forum whom I don't think is from VA has some ammo I might be interested in buying. If I bought it from him and he shipped it to me would that be legal? Any special things we would have to do to make it legal?
It seems to me that most all of your postings are asking basic questions. Do you not ever use the search function on this forum or google to learn first hand? In this case simply reading the "buy ammo" page of all commercial vendors will answer your question.

While I am not attempting to seriously criticize you for asking - that is how newbies get started and most of us do not mind answering in some fashion - information received second hand is worth just what you paid for it.

My suggestion - do some research on your next question and report the results of your findings here including anything unusual or different - then ask for clarification if something is confusing or contradictory to you.

BTW - If you meet the standards for purchasing ammo - it is/can be shipped by common carrier regularly.

Yata hey

Ore

imported post

Hey Grapeshot, nobody is forcing you to reply to these things. If you don't like the topic, move on.

Geesh, how hard is it to type "Yes" anyway?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ore wrote:
Hey Grapeshot, nobody is forcing you to reply to these things. If you don't like the topic, move on.

Topics are being deleted, and the forum has gotten a little cluttered with the same threads and posts. For those that read the forums often it can be a challenge sometimes to find relevance.

Grape is right.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm going to go with Grapeshot. His purpose, if not his exact method and phrasing.

There is a certain level of personal responsibility in researching a question for one-self, as opposed to letting others do it for you. Its really just a matter of pullingone's own weight, to the extent that one can.

The minimum level might be to ask, "I can't find an answer to my question. Wherecan I look to find the answer to...?"

The only thing I might have done different is to omit the mild criticism. Maybe suggesting to the OP where to look. W.E.G.s response was good, too.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ore wrote:

No, no one is forcing me to do anything. I choose to read this thread based on the title. Also never said that I did not like the topic - offered what I thought were constructive remarks, with an attempt to be considerate and replied to the question in the affirmative.

You two aren't a team are you? :) You know like good cop - bad cop.

Yata hey

Marco

imported post

Grapeshot wrote: snip
It seems to me that most all of your postings are asking basic questions. Do you not ever use the search function on this forum or google to learn first hand?
1+
A 5 sec search found this and my goggle fu sucks.

[line]

How to Ship Ammunition or Ammo
by John Barth

pixel_trans.gif

There have been a lot of inquiries into how to ship ammunition and questioning whether you can ship it at all with today’s transportation laws. Well, we did some extensive research to get the correct answer for you and here it is:

According to UPS, shipping ammunition is allowed, but there are some stipulations. The stipulations are not put in place by UPS, but instead, by the Department of Transportation. The D.O.T. has a classification called Title 49 CFR that spells out the details. We have summarized those details for you specific to shipping ammunition. FedEx has the same requirements, but also wants you to include a “Shippers Declaration for Dangerous Goods” form which is on their site if you do a search for “Dangerous Goods Forms”. The USPS follows the D.O.T. requirements but in talking to some of the USPS locations, the managers stated they would not accept the packages anyway in this day and age, so we recommend only using UPS or FedEx to ship ammo.

Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (b) Cartridges, small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material is limited to:

Under this “limited to” section, there is item (i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun; and (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shot shells.

This is the critical part to shipping ammunition. If it is 50 caliber or less, or 8 gauge or less, UPS will take the shipment in a sturdy box marked with a ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms label on the outside of the box. UPS does recommend using this label as opposed to a regular ORM-D label from our research and inquiries to UPS themselves. Part 172, subchapter E states the label should be affixed near the shipping address location on the package. By placing it here, the carrier will see it as they direct the package to the correct location during shipment.

Now, under section 173.115, part (v) it states that cartridges, and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packaging. The label marking is the same as above.

There have been a lot of questions about Hazardous Material training for shipping ORM-D materials. This is a true fact. UPS or any other carrier does not require training. It is required by the D.O.T. and is listed under section 172.74 were the training can be performed by yourself and all you need to have is a documented record of the following:

• Hazmat employee name
  • Training date
  • Copy of the training materials
  • Name and address of person providing training (This can be yourself)
  • A certificate showing the employee is trained. (This can be made in house)
A description of the training is found at hazmat.dot.gov on the Internet without the www and click on rules and regulations. The key part of the in house training is you don’t have to pay someone to train you. Just read this section and put together the emergency contacts, and procedures in case there is a issue. Easy stuff. With that, anyone can ship ammunition with ease, and the correct way.

Key resources for this ammunition shipping guideline included UPS through their hazardous materials department at 800-554-9964, FedEx 800.463.3339 through Dangerous Goods, USPS local locations and the Department of Transportation Classification division at 800-467-4922 and the Office of Hazardous Materials Safety on line at hazmat.dot.gov were all the documentation is listed. Knowing how to ship ammunition or ammo the correct way is important. Please pass this information on