Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: CHP Instructor Question.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    143

    Post imported post

    I'm sure I can find it on google but folr some reason no search engine is working for me so here's my question. How do you become certified to give the required classes for the CHP?







    Semper fi

  2. #2
    Regular Member fairfax1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    246

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622

    Post imported post

    Or the more in depth and complex route -

    http://www.dcjs.state.va.us/pss/howt...instructor.cfm

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Thems the answers!

    Just being certified is not all there is. Some instructor-trainers won't take you in the class if you dont have a verifiable history of firearms knowledge. Then there's licensing, insurance, incorporation, taxes, the list goes on and on.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    143

    Post imported post



    Thanks for the info.



    The reason I ask is my wife and I were thinking about trying to open a shooting club in the Prince William, Stafford area. I figured if at least one of us were able to give the CHP classes that would at least bring some people to the range. So far we have just been trying to figure out all the details and get a plan together then shop around for property. We found a piece of land 114 acres out by Manassas but that seems like it might be out of the way for a lot of people and we want to make it accessible to most of VA. Any suggestion about any aspects of the range would be appreciated. So far we are planning on having an outdoor range from 5 yds to hopefully 500 yds but not to sure on the max range. After we get it going and have a clintel we will try to get an indoor range going as well. Once again any suggestions are more then welcome just Post on here or email me at rl_wheeler1@hotmail.com.







    Semper Fi


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    6

    Post imported post

    I could be reading this all wrong but it looks to me that being an NRA certified instructor is something entirely different than being a security services firearm instructor. In order to obtain a VA CHP you must (taken from the VASP website):
    Complete any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course; or
    Complete any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

    If you follow the NRA's course for Certified Pistol Instructor and get your certification you will be certified to teach the class required to obtain the VA CHP.

    This is the course I'll be taking:

    Basic Pistol and Pistol First Steps NRA Instructor Candidate Course
    Upon successful completion of this 2-Day course you will be certified as an NRA Instructor and able to teach the NRA Basic Pistol and Pistol First Steps (Meets the mandatory training requirements for a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit application) courses. This training session also includes the required Basic Instructor Training module.

    The other website mentioned appears to me to be the qualifications to teach private, armed security officers. But like I said, I could be reading it all wrong.

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622

    Post imported post

    Abby Normal wrote:
    I could be reading this all wrong but it looks to me that being an NRA certified instructor is something entirely different than being a security services firearm instructor. In order to obtain a VA CHP you must (taken from the VASP website):
    Complete any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course; or
    Complete any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

    If you follow the NRA's course for Certified Pistol Instructor and get your certification you will be certified to teach the class required to obtain the VA CHP.

    This is the course I'll be taking:

    Basic Pistol and Pistol First Steps NRA Instructor Candidate Course
    Upon successful completion of this 2-Day course you will be certified as an NRA Instructor and able to teach the NRA Basic Pistol and Pistol First Steps (Meets the mandatory training requirements for a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit application) courses. This training session also includes the required Basic Instructor Training module.

    The other website mentioned appears to me to be the qualifications to teach private, armed security officers. But like I said, I could be reading it all wrong.
    A Dept of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Firearms Instructor - whether Security or Police Firearms Instructor is fully certified and authorized to give classes to non-security or non-LEO in many different disciplines including required instruction for Va. CHP.

    I was personally so involved for many years.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    A Dept of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Firearms Instructor - whether Security or Police Firearms Instructor is fully certified and authorized to give classes to non-security or non-LEO in many different disciplines including required instruction for Va. CHP.

    I was personally so involved for many years.

    Yata hey
    Correct,butbe aware that when you are a DCJS Firearms Instructor for the Law Enforcement side and you leave the employ of a LEA, your cert becomes null and void. Not sure if this is true on the DCJS-Security side, but for the LE side its true.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    6

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Abby Normal wrote:
    I could be reading this all wrong but it looks to me that being an NRA certified instructor is something entirely different than being a security services firearm instructor. In order to obtain a VA CHP you must (taken from the VASP website):
    Complete any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course; or
    Complete any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

    If you follow the NRA's course for Certified Pistol Instructor and get your certification you will be certified to teach the class required to obtain the VA CHP.

    This is the course I'll be taking:

    Basic Pistol and Pistol First Steps NRA Instructor Candidate Course
    Upon successful completion of this 2-Day course you will be certified as an NRA Instructor and able to teach the NRA Basic Pistol and Pistol First Steps (Meets the mandatory training requirements for a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit application) courses. This training session also includes the required Basic Instructor Training module.

    The other website mentioned appears to me to be the qualifications to teach private, armed security officers. But like I said, I could be reading it all wrong.
    A Dept of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Firearms Instructor - whether Security or Police Firearms Instructor is fully certified and authorized to give classes to non-security or non-LEO in many different disciplines including required instruction for Va. CHP.

    I was personally so involved for many years.

    Yata hey
    I should have mentioned that as well. I guess I was just trying to point out to the OP that in order to be certified to teach CHP classes you only need NRA certification, you don't necessarily need to go the DCJS route unless you want to teach at a higher level.

  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,622

    Post imported post

    Abby Normal wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    A Dept of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Firearms Instructor - whether Security or Police Firearms Instructor is fully certified and authorized to give classes to non-security or non-LEO in many different disciplines including required instruction for Va. CHP.
    I should have mentioned that as well. I guess I was just trying to point out to the OP that in order to be certified to teach CHP classes you only need NRA certification, you don't necessarily need to go the DCJS route unless you want to teach at a higher level.
    NRA route is quicker and much cheaper (although LE agency is generally footing the bill) and quite sufficient for the purpose.

    Times have changed a great deal. Eons ago when I got my initial DCJS certification, I was able to get all of the NRA certs simply by joining NRA, submitting the requests & paying the fees.

    NRA certified instructors have carried the load across our country to untold thousands of citizens seeking their permits. Congratulations on seeking to join their ranks.

    PS - Don't forget the need for good liability insurance. Better to have and not need than to .............!

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •