• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State v. Mendoza, 920 P.2d 357 and HI law questions

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
New York's cost to obtain a license to either possess or carry is clearly unconstitutional, and also way out of the mainstream. It does not cost $400 to process a license for real, they only spend that kind of money to come up with ways to deny you and make it stick, or desperately find something to deny you. Since everything is pretty easy to computerize and only requires entry. Also, with electronic fingerprint scan submissions, it only takes a few days for an FBI fingerprint check to complete, rather than the weeks it takes for ink and paper. FBI fingerprint checks cost $19.25.

I would say that more than $75 for a 5 year license, or more than $100 total, is merely an attempt to dissuade and definitely cross the threshold of being unconstitutional. Then again, Murdock v. PA seems to give the idea that you can't charge for a constitutional right either. Seems to be a question. I would say that definitely there should be absolutely NO charge at all for possession in the home. Then again, I'm not a judge nor am I a lawyer. A lot of this depends on what judicial scrutiny level will be decided in with McDonald, Palmer v. District of Columbia, and Sykes v. McGinness.
All these taxes need to go away, federal and state. If the FBI insists on charging for our RKBA background checks, then those need to go away too.

Back when GMRS licenses were $75 for 5 years, I couldn't afford it. They've been going up in price ever since, and all the while I have been dissuaded from getting one and buying radios for my family.

Not paying $75/5 for the privilege to communicate over special frequencies, nor the right to protect life.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
Gray Peterson wrote:
Mr. Mendoza,

I am also curious if you can find us the link to both State v. Mendoza I and State v. Mendoza II.  A lot of the spot historians on firearms have been trying to find it for a long time and haven't had much in the way of luck.

As for Hawaii, the State Courts in Hawaii, just like California, are beyond useless and actually would be quite unhelpful.  Sykes v. McGinness is a California federal court case that is currently on hold due to the Nordyke v. King case being heard en banc, which itself is currently on hold for McDonald v. City of Chicago.

If we win in district court, wouldn't be applicable specifically to Hawaii's district court, it would be persuasive authority (Similar to the US citizens only case of Say v. Kentucky State Police in district court influencing the Washington State AFL case up here).  If it gets appealed to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and we win there, it would have an effect on the State of Hawaii, even more so than McDonald, due to the issue of "carry" being delt with specifically in Sykes.

If we get a good Sykes win, Hawaii would actually be required to issue licenses to carry on a shall-issue basis, and they have a choice: Either issue open carry licenses, or concealed carry licenses, or both.

Even it caused the law to change here in Hawaii to "Shall Issue", the Entire code still needs to be re-written. Too many loopholes for the permits to be denied. Hawaii has a LONG fight ahead, even if Sykes and Mcdonald win.

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0009.htm

§134-9  Licenses to carry.  (a)  In an exceptional case, when an applicant shows reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property, the chief of police of the appropriate county may grant a license to an applicant who is a citizen of the United States of the age of twenty-one years or more or to a duly accredited official representative of a foreign nation of the age of twenty-one years or more to carry a pistol or revolver and ammunition therefor concealed on the person within the county where the license is granted.  Where the urgency or the need has been sufficiently indicated, the respective chief of police may grant to an applicant of good moral character who is a citizen of the United States of the age of twenty-one years or more, is engaged in the protection of life and property, and is not prohibited under section 134-7 from the ownership or possession of a firearm, a license to carry a pistol or revolver and ammunition therefor unconcealed on the person within the county where the license is granted.  The chief of police of the appropriate county, or the chief's designated representative, shall perform an inquiry on an applicant by using the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, to include a check of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement databases where the applicant is not a citizen of the United States, before any determination to grant a license is made.  Unless renewed, the license shall expire one year from the date of issue.

(b)  The chief of police of each county shall adopt procedures to require that any person granted a license to carry a concealed weapon on the person shall:

(1)  Be qualified to use the firearm in a safe manner;

(2)  Appear to be a suitable person to be so licensed;

(3)  Not be prohibited under section 134-7 from the ownership or possession of a firearm; and

(4)  Not have been adjudged insane or not appear to be mentally deranged.

(c)  No person shall carry concealed or unconcealed on the person a pistol or revolver without being licensed to do so under this section or in compliance with sections 134-5(c) or 134-25.

(d)  A fee of $10 shall be charged for each license and shall be deposited in the treasury of the county in which the license is granted. [L 1988, c 275, pt of §2; am L 1994, c 204, §8; am L 1997, c 254, §§2, 4; am L 2000, c 96, §1; am L 2002, c 79, §1; am L 2006, c 27, §3 and c 66, §3; am L 2007, c 9, §8]

From Sykes' Calguns Foundation Wikipedia Article:

This suit seeks to do two things.

1. "Good Cause" shall be interpreted such that "self defense" is more than enough "Good Cause."

2. "Good moral character" shall be interpreted to mean "not otherwise prohibited from buying or possessing firearms" under the common understanding of that term (felon in possession, no 5150 bar, etc.)

A third but not explicit item is that may really means shall.

-Gene Hoffman

Sykes making it up to the 9th Circuit and scoring us a win will fix Hawaii for the above reasons.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Kinda like a quote from "Under Siege" with Steven Seagal...."Well, I guess we'll just see what we'll see, won't we?"

Gray Peterson

imported post

Aloha, Mr. Mendoza,

I sent you a PM, however I am not sure if you have the ability to receive PM's via this board.

Please contact me via email, gray.peterson AT verizon.net (remove spaces and substitute AT for @). I may have some solutions, however I need to go over what has been done first.

-Gray

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
Gray Peterson wrote:

snip

From Sykes' Calguns Foundation Wikipedia Article:

This suit seeks to do two things.

1. "Good Cause" shall be interpreted such that "self defense" is more than enough "Good Cause."

2. "Good moral character" shall be interpreted to mean "not otherwise prohibited from buying or possessing firearms" under the common understanding of that term (felon in possession, no 5150 bar, etc.)

A third but not explicit item is that may really means shall.

-Gene Hoffman

Sykes making it up to the 9th Circuit and scoring us a win will fix Hawaii for the above reasons.

No, I'm afraid it won't. It will take the McDonald vs Chicago in SCOTUS to effect any change here. Sykes will help, but it's not enough.

Here is an article from 2006. The opinions of HPD, the AG, and others haven't changed.

"In the last 15 years, no law abiding citizen applying for a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Honolulu has been granted one -- not one domestic violence victim, not one person whose life was in danger, not one person working where they may be robbed at gunpoint. And the police chief has no plans to change that under Hawaii’s current law, which says the police department’s highest officer "may issue" a concealed carry permit should he choose to do so.
That’s according to Honolulu Police Department Captain Raymond Ancheta, who testified at the Senate Intergovernmental Affairs Committee hearing Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2006, in opposition to SB 2531, which changes Hawaii’s law to read "shall issue" and become the nation’s 39th state to allow concealed carry of a firearm.
The bill and two others that would further the Second Amendment rights of Hawaii citizens, including retired police officers and law abiding citizens in the aftermath of a disaster, were opposed by the Honolulu police, the Honolulu City Prosecutor and the state attorney general.
Spokespeople for these government agencies said they did not trust the people to aim correctly under a stressful situation where they might use a firearm to protect themselves, potentially endangering others nearby. Lori Nishimura of the City Prosecutors office, said she had a "feeling" and she "believed" that allowing citizens to protect themselves with firearms would not be good for the rest of Hawaii’s citizens, though she could not cite any studies or evidence under questioning to support her statements."

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?05eafffd-eff0-4c14-ba7c-1ec44f3d267c

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
snip...
Spokespeople for these government agencies said they did not trust the people to aim correctly under a stressful situation where they might use a firearm to protect themselves, potentially endangering others nearby. Lori Nishimura of the City Prosecutors office, said she had a "feeling" and she "believed" that allowing citizens to protect themselves with firearms would not be good for the rest of Hawaii’s citizens, though she could not cite any studies or evidence under questioning to support her statements."
That's because there are no legitimate studies supporting her evidence - quite to the contrary, there is much documented that supports that citizens are safe
Next we'll hear of potential OK Corral shootouts and blood running in the streets. :banghead:

Shall issue permits works just fine in the other states.

Yata hey

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Glock Fan wrote:
The Honolulu Police Department has a new police chief. Although very slim, there is a chance that things will change.
I am seriously considering applying for one with the new chief, if nothing else just to test the waters, so to speak.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Being a political appointment, I doubt it.

Do we know anything about his history?
Not enough yet to form a hard opinion.....yet. I'm still researching. On that note I'm getting pretty good at it. Even upgraded my computer to dual monitors. ;)

Gray Peterson

imported post

Mr. Mendoza has not responded to my PM's or attempts at contact. If anyone happens to be in contact with him, please pass a message to him to please contact me.

Thanks.

Glock Fan

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
That was odd because he came on briefly than left hope he's not sitting in prison. I'll try to PM for you too than Grey.

He's probably not in custody as prisoners don't have access to the internet.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

My poor attempt at humor I forgot the emoticon. I missed he had moved to California too. But his sole post on these forums has been in the Hawaii one.