• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Forum- Already had interesting encounter

GAMER80116

imported post

Hi all. I have been a lurker on these forums for a long time, but now I finally felt that I had something worthwhile to say. I just turned 21 a little over a week ago and of course my first order of business was buying my pistol :). I have always been careful with open carry before, as I would only use it to transfer my target pistol back and forth before I was actually 21 (not worth the whole mess and adding my young age to the mix at that point). I have gotten comfortable going around more private areas while open carrying to and from my car, getting gas, etc. I was really nervous but I made myself go into a restaurant here in Castle Rock. It was crowded and a lot of people stared as I waited to be seated with my wife, but I stood my ground. The manager came up to me and briefly looked at my handgun holstered on my hip, and then shook my hand and seated us (I think he may have recognized me from before, and that could have helped some). As we were seated and throughout eating, I would see him and a few employees glance over at me once or twice, but it didn't seem so bad. I began wondering if the LEOs would arrive to "contact me" when I left, but there was no one waiting for me when I left (thank God). The whole time I was prepared for an encounter with law enforcement, and I would have stood strong if that was the case but it was far less eventful than I had been worrying about (aside from some staring and whispering as I went by). I am definitely gonna cool my jets for now, as I am waiting for my CCW permit to come through, and I don't want to give them reasons to make it even more of a "delay". I was thinking about going to Walgreens, but then I remembered the recent encounter there and decided not to push my luck :p

In all, I thought this is how I would introduce myself. Thank you all for the wealth of information and confidence that is posted here. I cannot tell you how many LEO types have recently flat out lied to me, saying things like how I have to have a CCW to carry in my vehicle (which I know is an extension of your home), all the way to saying I can't even have a handgun in there at all unless it is in a locked cased with the action open! God bless them for the jobs they do, but it is scary the way they sometimes try to discourage a law-abiding citizen who is counting on them to give honest information. If I am incorrect in stating my understanding of my rights here, PLEASE let me know, as I want to follow the law.

Again, thank you for reading all of this (I know it is a lot). I hope to hear back from some of you with your thoughts on all of this. I normally don't like to post things, but I feel that this is just too important not to. Thanks!

entartet17

imported post

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad to hear it went well. I dont know if you have one already, but consider investing in a voice recorder just in case.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Gamer, might I ask what part of Colorado you are in?

GAMER80116

imported post

Certainly. I live in Castle Rock. Also, as a quick reference, do I need to inform if I am recording in Colorado?

denwego

imported post

Welcome to the Colorado OC club! I'm in Virginia now, but I OC'ed in Boulder of all places for many years with plenty of dirty looks and no actual problems. If I could do it in Boulderistan, you'll be fine in Castle Rock!

Evil Ernie

imported post

Uh oh...now there's three of us in Castle Rock...that constitutes as a gang!!! LMAO!!! Welcome to the forums.

Don't sweat it bro. The first time I OC'ed, I felt as if the entire world was staring at me. After a few carries, you'll calm down and get used to it. Now that we're getting some warmer weather (depending on what hour it is), I've been taking my son on afternoon walks around Founder Village. I get a head turn on occasion, but nothing major.

Keep on carrying and be safe!