• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHL current processing time?

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I did mine last year. Sent in my papers in Feb 19, 2008 and received my license June 14. So, that's 4 months. Could be worse though now. The word is that there's a huge flux of people applying (since before the Pres. election).

HENZ

imported post

I just took my course and mailed everything in on the 9th of March. I called them today because everyone kept telling me that in 7-14 days I would receive a letter with a passcode to check the status. Well when I called today I was still not in the system. I know they received my paper work and money because I sent it all certified mail with a return receipt. The guy on the phone today told me it is taking them any where from 4-6 weeks just to get everyone in the system from the time they receive your application.

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

HENZ wrote:
I just took my course and mailed everything in on the 9th of March. I called them today because everyone kept telling me that in 7-14 days I would receive a letter with a passcode to check the status. Well when I called today I was still not in the system. I know they received my paper work and money because I sent it all certified mail with a return receipt. The guy on the phone today told me it is taking them any where from 4-6 weeks just to get everyone in the system from the time they receive your application.
Short answer: renew early. Expect it to take 4 or more months. I had a buddy who let his expire and had to go without carrying for many weeks. If you are a first timer, there's nothing you can do but wait. :cry:

cbunt1

imported post

Did mine right after the first of the year in Montgomery County. 86 days from confirmed receipt of app to plastic in hand.

bfj201

imported post

Just Got my permit in the mail this past Monday. Mailed my app in on Feb 17 and Received on May 11, a total processing time of 83 days including Postage time to and from.

HENZ

imported post

Just got mine in the mail today. Mailed it March 9th and received June 24th. Believe that makes a total of 108 days including time in the mail and weekends.

RichardR

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is now old history, but I mailed my packet on 14 January 2008 and received the license on 7 May 2008. Sounds like it might be getting better.

coffeyc

imported post

I sent my packet in 15 Jan 09 and 160+ days later no plastic in hand. I have not had any problems with my information or fingerprints. this is crap.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Yeah, it sure is. A personcould be dead waiting 160+ days for the permit to arrive if he/she needed to have a gun during that period but wasn't legally allowed to carry it (pending permit processing).

Again, "the state" puts us at risk with no fear of being held responsible.

-- John D.

jsimmons

imported post

What they need to do is award an interim license (which would assume the applicant is going to be approved) as long as the applicant has met the following conditions:

0) Sent his application to DPS via Registered Mail and has the receipt that states the DPS has received it.

1) Carries on his/her person CHL certification paperwork from a certified CHL instructor/organization, as well as his Registered Mail receipt.

This would allow certified applicants interim conceal carry permission until they receive either their official card or 5 days after they receive an official rejection (to allow for snail mail delivery times).

Of course, this makes too much sense and assumes the applicant will be approved, so it will never be implemented.

jsimmons

imported post

So, is the license dated the day the application was "entered in the system", or the day the license was issued? If it's the first one, and it's taking the 6+ months to approve them, you would have to start the renewal process before you even got your card. That's absurd.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

The period for which the license is good for is from your last birthday to the 4th birthdayafterthat. For example, I applied for mine in February 2008 and received it in June 2008. My last birthday was December 2007, so my license is good until December 2012.

It's just like with your driver's license, except CHL's are good for 5 years instead of 6.

thx997303

imported post

I like the way that Virginia does it, if they don't issue you a permit within 45 days, you get a default permit.

That keeps the waiting time down to the law.

Utah has a law that state that it should be issued within 90 days, but there is no penalty for disobeying the law, 120 days is about the norm.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Once you have taken the course and have the certificate of completion send a copy of that to Virginia (or another 'shall issue' state) with an application for a non-resident license. You will likely receive that one in considerably sooner and you are then legal to carry through reciprocity! Also, since not all states reciprocate with all others, more than one license may be required to carry in all the states that you may choose to travel to/through. Thus why the 'Front Sight' Academy issues(helps you apply for) (iirc) 3 or maybe 4 states licenses upon completion! (Utah, Virginia, and Florida I think...)