• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Diego DA says Los Angeles DA's open carry memo is wrong!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Embedded here is the DEC 08 LA DA memo on open carry: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=19993&forum_id=12

And now here is the San Diego DA memo on open carry: [url]http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/carry/SD-DA-OC-Memo-2009-03.pdf[/url](opining that "LA DDA Devallis Rutledge" was mistaken on power to run serial number and ID checks)

Below is my email to its author - his response to me today? "Can't get everything in a three page memo."

OpenCarry.org is happy to see that Calif. DAs are starting to get it right, one county at a time!

--

Subject: Your open carry memo
Date: 4/4/2009 12:41:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
To: Robert.Amador@SDCDA.org

Dear Mr. Amador:

Mike Stollenwerk here, co-founder of OpenCarry.org.

Sorry to interrupt you this evening by calling what might have been your personal cell phone, I thought I was just going to leave a voice mail after hours at your office.

I just wanted to let you know that I and others appreciated very much your recent open carry memo at [url]http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/carry/SD-DA-OC-Memo-2009-03.pdf[/url]which importantly (1) got the loaded/unloaded for incorporated/unincorporated areas distinction correct (even though you did not cite to People v. knight), and (2) pointed out that the LA DA opinion citation of Hiibel was wholly erroneous. Thank you!

I did have three small concerns to bring to your attention when you had a moment:

1.Unlike you assertion thatlocalities can ban open carry by local ordinance, I think the local regulation of gun carry isat most agray area in California under the doctrine of implied preemption. See Fiscal ("If the preemption doctrine means anything, it means that a local entity may not pass an ordinance, the effect of which is to completely frustrate a broad, evolutional statutory regime enacted by the Legislature.").

Within the meaning of Calif. state constitutional preemption, Section 12031 is certainly "a broad, evolutional statutory regime enacted by the Legislature," as noted by the 1968 AG opinion, and even better, the inclusion of a local option for Counties to ban loaded carry by banning shooting, thus invoking the doctrine of expressio unius est exclusio alterius.

Accordingly, the General Counsel for the Calif. Peace Association at [url]http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/carry/CPOA-Client-Alert-12042008.pdf[/url]has opined that he does NOT think local open carry bans would be enforceable: "we doubt that a local ordinance could be enacted to close this gap by, for instance, making it a violation of a city’s municipal code to carry an unloaded and unconcealed firearm in public. In this regard, please note Article XI, §7 of the California Constitution, which provides that:
A county or city may make and enforce within its limits all local, police, sanitary, and other ordinances and regulations not in conflict with general laws."

Please think this over beforelocal legislators get ideas or your officers find some old forgotten open carry ban and try to enforce it. If you are going to enforce such local open carry bans,I think you should serve the open carry community notice of this fact first so that the types of uncomfortable police-citizen interactions you worry about in your memo are headed off before they happen.

2.You also might want to consider letting folks (and police officers) know that the constitutionally suspect Calif. school **zone** gun carry ban hasa knowledge element and is not a strict liability offense: It's only unlawful to open carry agun in a school zone if the open carrier carried "a firearm in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone." Officers should be able to articulate and document facts upon arrest of any open carrier in a school zone supporting this statutory knowledge requirement.

3.Finally, I'm not so sure it's correct to say the law is "gray" re open carry in California - People v. Clark and People v. Knightalong with the 1968 AG opinion cited by Knight appear to cover the law of open carry in California such that there really should be no mystery - California is just like most states, see map at [url]http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html[/url], where open carry requires no license, but unfortunately in Calif., does have the constitutionally suspect loading ban in incorporated areas and portions ofunincorporated areas where shooting has been prohibited by the County (and that very odd loading inspection protocol).

But don't get me wrong, your opinion is greatly appreciated for clearing the air on that erroneous Los Angeles DA opinion.

Take care,

Mike Stollenwerk
co-founder, OpenCarry.org

pullnshoot25

imported post

Mike wrote:
Below is my email to its author - his response to me today? "Can't get everything in a three page memo."

Funny, we were able to do our fact sheet in just two pages... hmmph.

Of course, throwing in all the FUD about us wanting to show how big our guns are is necessary to the education process, right?

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Mike wrote:

Funny, we mentioned to do our fact sheet in just two pages... hmmph.

Of course, throwing in all the FUD about us wanting to show how big our guns are is necessary to the education process, right?
Oh, I don't know. I actually like it when people comment on how big my gun is.
Although .45 is not an especially impressive number.

pullnshoot25

imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
Mike wrote:

I always like adding the word "Mag" or "Magnum" to the end of my revolver description. Saying "It's a .44" is one thing, but saying "It's a .44 Magnum" just sounds cooler :)

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Should I then refer to my .40 S&W as a .10mm short?

:?

pullnshoot25 wrote:
flintlock tom wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
Mike wrote:

I always like adding the word "Mag" or "Magnum" to the end of my revolver description. Saying "It's a .44" is one thing, but saying "It's a .44 Magnum" just sounds cooler :)

sigscout

imported post

Thanks mike! I will have some of the DA's "notes" while on the outing 4/18 here in cali.

I talked to a ex-cop, who owns the gun store Rancho Cordova guns. He is verry 'unhappy' with what he called 'clowns' who think they can OC in areas that are not concidered forrest or wilderness territory.

somebody even braught in some paperwork about OC'ing and after reading it he said its still 'brandishing' a weapon.

He got verry animated about the whole thing:cuss:. I thaught it was kinda sad, but that is sadly the way alot of people think, primarily due to not knowing ALL OFthe FACTS.

Legba

imported post

As a gun store guy, it is a bit disappointing that so many other gun store guys are toads. I pretty much work alone, so I don't have to put up with such toadery here, but some of our competitors/colleagues just make me shake my head with some of the things they come up with. Makes you wonder how they can maintain a federal license with their notions about the gunlaws and such.

-ljp

pullnshoot25

imported post

sigscout wrote:
Thanks mike! I will have some of the DA's "notes" while on the outing 4/18 here in cali.

I talked to a ex-cop, who owns the gun store Rancho Cordova guns. He is verry 'unhappy' with what he called 'clowns' who think they can OC in areas that are not concidered forrest or wilderness territory.

somebody even braught in some paperwork about OC'ing and after reading it he said its still 'brandishing' a weapon.

He got verry animated about the whole thing:cuss:. I thaught it was kinda sad, but that is sadly the way alot of people think, primarily due to not knowing ALL OF the FACTS.

Sounds like the perfect store to OC into.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Mike wrote:
LA DDA Devallis Rutledge
Knew that name sounded familiar... the author of one of the textbooks I'm trying to sell ($55 with new $30 companion workbook by Ray Bowling).

70c002aa.jpg

Used to be required for Miramar ADJU 201.

The Nomadd

imported post

I remember Ray. He taught the firearms class I took there at Miramar back in the early 80's.

N6ATF wrote:
Mike wrote:
LA DDA Devallis Rutledge
Knew that name sounded familiar... the author of one of the textbooks I'm trying to sell ($55 with new $30 companion workbook by Ray Bowling).

70c002aa.jpg

Used to be required for Miramar ADJU 201.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
sigscout wrote:

He got verry animated about the whole thing:cuss:. I thaught it was kinda sad, but that is sadly the way alot of people think, primarily due to not knowing ALL OFthe FACTS.

Sounds like the perfect store to OC into.

I actually spoke to employees at Wild Sports in Orangevale and they had the SAME attitude that this Rancho Cordova store did. They kept telling me it was illegal and people would be arrested and even if it was legal it would be stupid to do.. etc etc..

Next OC meeting locations?