• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on game lands or private property while training dogs

ColtPistols

imported post

I was wondering if it is legal to open carry a handgun in WVwhile training coondogs on either public grounds, or private farms, or if they would assume I as poaching?I am not interested in shooting any coons out of season, but if legal, I would really like to have a handgun around when out in the woods. I had a pup grabbed by a coyote right out from under my friends feet one time while squirrel hunting. Fortunately he had #6 shot ready in his over under 12 gauge and peppered him pretty good. Sometimes I go to WV just to spectate, and thisI think would be legal to open carry because I'm not really engaged in the hunt. Not sure but any one who knows would be much appreciated if they respond with appropriate statutes.