• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wheelgun

Wheelgunner

imported post

Agreed, the Smith 29 is the Best. 44 Special for city or wife, 44 Mag mid loads for when you get good, Heavy bullets for hunting or Bear. Reliable, accurate and very fast.

The best of all worlds.

10mm is the best of the Autopistols. 200gr TCFMJ for Woods, 175gr Silvertips for everyday and light (40 S&W) for the wife. Make sure all ammo will function properly.

sirpuma

imported post

BobR wrote:
Colt Python 6" .44 mag

No Such critter. Pythons were made in .38 and .357. I would not carry one into the woods only due to the fact they are pretty spendy and getting more spendy every day. Even beaters/shooters command a premium price.
Then call it the Anaconda. :p It's still the same SS Colt revolver. Best design ever on a wheel gun. I have a King Cobra. I've wanted the Python but they are more expensive.

BobR

imported post

While the King Cobra and the Anaconda are both very nice pistols, the worksmanship and finish don't quite rise to the level of a Python. ;)

One of the guns I am always on the lookout for is an Anaconda in 45 Colt. Someday when I least expect it (and probably broke) I will stumble across one.

In the meantime, I take this Python out shooting a few times a year just to experience the smoothness that is the hallmark of Pythons.

pythonsm2.jpg

bob

Wheelgunner

imported post

I have never really liked Colt products, but I always had a secret lust for a Python. Before the Unions killed Colt, the management went out of their way to make it both beautiful and smooth. Lovely finish, beautiful barrel, sigh.....

44hiker

imported post

Wheelgunner, how do you carry your Smith? Do you spend much time hiking or fishing?

Phssthpok

imported post

You do realize of course, that if I were home I'd have to dig out, photograph, and show off my Colt Python Elite Stainless.:p

Wheelgunner

imported post

I carry with a belt scabbard by Kramer, strong side. I never liked inside the pants holsters, even for small pistols. Same with my BUG, except for weak side.

Should I make the jump to 10mm, I will use the same pattern.

I have also tried, with a great deal of success, the Miami Vice style of carry. Most ranges frown on it, but it is very fast and it is comfortable for me, but it is not for a revolver.

Machoduck

imported post

"...but it is not for a revolver."

How so? I had gathered, from what I've read, that a vertical shoulder holster was just the ticket for S&W X frames and the like. Not that I have any experience with carrying revolvers in shoulder holsters or with X frames.

MD

Wheelgunner

imported post

I have always thought of Miami Vice carry as Horizontal carry. As you draw, you cross your arm and sweep people to your side before centering on the perp.

Ranges hate it because as you walk about, your muzzle is staring others in the face.

Revolvers of more than 4 inches really have to go vertical, which is slower because you bend the wrist and the snatch is less of a straight line.