• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

15 minute response time

Decoligny

imported post

My wife was awoken this morning by a sound like the front door slamming. I had been at work for half an hour. I have on occasion had to come home for some reason or another, so she thought it might be me, but called me on my cell to be sure.

I told her I was at work, and for her to get the gun, and call 911.

I also called the Sheriff substation as if I call 911 from work, it goes to the Base dispatcher.

My wife hunkered down in a defensive position and awaited "the cavalry".

15 minutes later the Kern County Sheriff Deputies showed up and the 911 dispatcher told my wife to put the gun away and then go let Deputies in.

Well, not knowing if there were any BGs between the bedroom and the front door, she decided to take the gun with her, and put it in the drawer next to the front door.

The Deputies cleared the house, checked all the doors and they were locked and there was no sign that anyone had tried to force the door.

Don't know what she heard, but I think she reacted pretty well. I figure that if someone had broken in, they would have gone after the electronics in the living room first, and stuff can be replaced. If however, anyone had taken one step through the bedroom door without the 911 operater telling her it was a Deputy, they would have had holes where they shouldn't have holes.

Frosty_In_CA

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
Well, not knowing if there were any BGs between the bedroom and the front door, she decided to take the gun with her, and put it in the drawer next to the front door.
Good call! She could have easily become a "hostage" if there was a BG in the house.

You should give your wife the "Atta girl" award of the week!

mjones

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
15 minutes later the Kern County Sheriff Deputies showed up and the 911 dispatcher told my wife to put the gun away and then go let Deputies in.

Excellent decision on her part - I've never understood why those are the SOP instuctions dispatchers use. Personally I would be sure that both the operator and LEOs on scene are clearly aware that the weapon is NOT being put away until immediately prior to making contact at the approved entrance.

Largely a job well done on her part - I hope you've impressed upon her the need for 'get gun first...THEN call' it could mean the difference between life and death.

Decoligny

imported post

mjones wrote:
Decoligny wrote:

Excellent decision on her part - I've never understood why those are the SOP instuctions dispatchers use. Personally I would be sure that both the operator and LEOs on scene are clearly aware that the weapon is NOT being put away until immediately prior to making contact at the approved entrance.

Largely a job well done on her part - I hope you've impressed upon her the need for 'get gun first...THEN call' it could mean the difference between life and death.
She already had it. There is a gun within arms reach from either side of the bed.

ChinChin

imported post

Had this happen to my lady a few years ago. We have a key to the house in the bedroom which is on one of the little Inova Microlights http://www.inovalight.com/micro.html

Two squeezes and it goes into strobe light mode for easy location in the dark. We already had a drill where if we have to secure in place in the bedroom and await John Q Law to arrive, 911 is told to have responding offices go to the rear of the house and look for a flashing light with a key to be pitched out of the window. That key will get them inside of the house without having to break down the door; but to announce themselves before coming up the stairs!!!!

None of this “put down the gun and walk to the front door” BS. That’s how throats get slit.

Worked like a charm. M’lady heard glass breaking downstairs, called po-po, tossed the key with flashing strobe out the window and they came in with it and cleared the house. The breaking glass was from the cat who jumped up on the kitchen table and decided he didn’t like the flower vase up there.

+ 1 for you OP for having a firearm near the bed for rapid deployment. Remember, when seconds count, the police are minutes away! :X