• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What exactly is "locked"

Frosty_In_CA

imported post

The other day, I was cleaning out my car of nine months and noticed (OK I'm not that observant) that my glove compartment locks.

So here's my hypothetical question:
I decide to open carry. In my daily comings and goings I drive past near or around several schools (You just can't avoid them......These kids are everywhere! LOL). So I am required "By Law" to have my unloaded gun under lock and key, right?.....

Does a locking glove compartment count?

Curious minds want to know!

mjones

imported post

Frosty_In_CA wrote:
The other day, I was cleaning out my car of nine months and noticed (OK I'm not that observant) that my glove compartment locks.

So here's my hypothetical question:
I decide to open carry. In my daily comings and goings I drive past near or around several schools (You just can't avoid them......These kids are everywhere! LOL). So I am required "By Law" to have my unloaded gun under lock and key, right?.....

Does a locking glove compartment count?

Curious minds want to know!

No.

------------

626.9. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the
Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(3) "Locked container" has the same meaning as that term is given
in subdivision (c) of Section 12026.1.

12026.1. (a) (1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than
the utility or glove compartment.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

CPC 12026.2(d)
As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, keylock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term "locked container" does not include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle.
Or, as noted above, the trunk of your car would count as well provided that it is locked.

Decoligny

imported post

The container need to totally enclose the firearm.

The container needs to be "secure". They don't define the term secure, but it has been discussed to death and the concensus seems to be that if a 10 year old can get into it without using any tools, then it probably isn't secure.

It has to be locked. The PC actually mentions either a key lock, or combination lock, but I think the biometric locks would probably also qualify.

mjones

imported post

Hmmm, it just dawned on my that 626.9 explicitly defines a locked container as the definition in 12026.1(c)

Doesn't this mean that 12026.1(a)(1), 12026.1(a)(2) and 12026.1(b) do not apply? Also 12026.2(d) would not apply?

In other words, using a locking utility/glove compartment would satisfy the requirement of 12026.1(c) for the purposes of 626.9

-------

12026.1. (a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any
citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not prohibited by state
or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a
firearm, from transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that
the following applies to the firearm:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than
the utility or glove compartment.
(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any
motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm,
the firearm is contained within a locked container.
(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the
otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in
accordance with this chapter.
(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

mjones wrote:
Hmmm, it just dawned on my that 626.9 explicitly defines a locked container as the definition in 12026.1(c)

Doesn't this mean that 12026.1(a)(1), 12026.1(a)(2) and 12026.1(b) do not apply? Also 12026.2(d) would not apply?

In other words, using a locking utility/glove compartment would satisfy the requirement of 12026.1(c) for the purposes of 626.9
The definition applies only to 626.9 and only satisfies the exemption of that statute. So, locking in your glove compartment might get you around 626.9, but not 12025. Since there is no way that 626.9 applies without 12025 also applying, there's no loophole.

Frosty_In_CA

imported post

See you guys are soooooooo smart. Because I was having the same issue of which one of these take precedence?

Hey I'm new to this Open carry thing!

Not new to liberty though.

I was born with it! ;)