• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Maine ? Can I Really?!

Drinking Beer

imported post

I have been reading up on this site and have learned some great information. Yet, I am from the state of New Jersey. Every cop experience around here has been very anti 2nd amendment. I see 10 cops a day on my way to work and in this state open carry will more then likely GET YOU SHOT ON SIGHT. :cuss: The last police officer that I saw in the local gun shop, gave me the third degree when I purchased a rifle that he "didn't like the looks of"

The idea of going to a gun friendly state actually has me worried about exercising my rights. I have been conditioned to fear cops attitudes, because of their behavior in NJ. Yet, I know that once as you leave this state, there are places were the grass is much greener and the police are much nicer. I did vacationed in rural western PA last year, and the ranger/cop gave me a sleeping bag because I was unprepared for the weather in the cold! HAHA :what: In New Jersey I usually get questioned as to why I am camping and I need to register for a camping permit! :banghead:

In New Jersey I hike in the pine barrens, and as soon as I get in my car, I literally get ugly looks and followed by state cops. Im just a normal looking guy who drives an older model car?! Now can you see my paranoia?.....

I am going to visit rural Jackman Maine for vacation in a week. The idea of open carrying has me very worried, just because of my previous conditioning of living in New Jersey police state.

Is there any reassuring comments you fellows can tell me other then good luck? Do you have any experiences in Maine? Can I have a link to print out the law statutes if someone gives me trouble?

I already know I can not open carry in an automobile without a permit. I am only going to be doing a lot of hiking and kayaking, and would love to have my trusty Ruger 44mag Hunter by my side in the wilderness. But I still am nervous for what to expect !

Legba

imported post

I'm pretty sure I would laugh out loud if a cop said he didn't like the looks of a rifle Iwas buying. I wouldn't want one they would approve of, probably.

All I know about Maine is that my yuppie sister has some land up there, and that she is NOT a gun person. Check links provided in the site here/and or Googlefor particular info about Maine gun laws.

Welcome to the forum.

-ljp