• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Topic: M4 Forward Grip

G27

imported post

Does anyone dislike these as much as I do? I've tried so hard to get used to it but feel it is only a burden. I still find myself hold the rifle by the hand guards or by gripping the mag well.

Just wondering if I'm holding the forward grip incorrectly or if it's just me..

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I actually like my forward grip on my M4. It makes it easier on my left wrist, less wrist tension for me. This is a personalpreference-kind-of-thing. Whatever is most comfortable for you.

ETA: my profile pic on the left, is not a pic of my rifle

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

I've shot an AR with a forward grip a couple times, I don't like it much either. And becuase the person whose lets me shoot his AR has another without the forward grip, I find myself shooting that one more. The forward grip just feels a little awkward, but I'm sure with practice I'd get used to it. I guess it's like the mag release on my HK USP, at first it felt weird, but now I don't think anything of it.

Vandal

imported post

I have never been a fan of the forward grip on ARs or AKs. I have found that using the front of the mag well works better IMO for weapons control and personal comfort and it saves me a bunch of money as opposed to buying a grip.

amlevin

imported post

When shooting an AR, or for that matter the "real deal" M-4 with forward grip is best done using an overal different style. Rather than the old standby where the forend is supported with one hand and the other is usually at a 45 degree angle to vertical, with a forward grip it works better when both elbows are tucked tight to the body. This makes it easy to treat the rifle as an extension of the body. Turn body left to shoot left, right to shoot right. Always a stable platform. Takes some getting used to if you are a traditionalist.

antispam540

imported post

I got a forward grip for my AR with a retractable bipod in it, and mounted the switch for the laser on it. It makes it a lot easier to hold steady, IMHO, but then again I'm not exactly a pro.