Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Killed At Indoor Gun Range

Post imported post

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2...gun_range.html

CASSELBERRY -- Two people are dead after being shot at a gun range.

It happened around 4:30 p.m. Sunday atShoot Straight Gun Range & Storeon U.S. Highway 17-92 in Casselberry.

One man was pronounced dead at the shooting range when paramedics arrived.

A woman was transported to Florida North Hospital in Altamonte Springs where she later died.

It’s not yet known whether the shooting was accidental or intentional.

Casselberry police said the two went to the range Sunday afternoon to target shoot.

Officerssaid there were no reported arguments between the two before the shooting. However, witnesses on the scene say the two were acting strangely before the incident.

There were between eight and 10 people who witnessed the incident.

The names of the victims have not been released.

ETA: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,3249242.story

Post imported post

It seems fate might have it out for gun owners lately ....

Post imported post

The only crimeI see committed here was killing themselves if that is the case at all. At minimum shows the need for good safety habits, better gun training.

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    The only crimeI see committed here was killing themselves if that is the case at all. At minimum shows the need for good safety habits, better gun training.
    The articles I read a day or so ago stated she aimed and shot her son in the back of the head after buying more ammunition. Then she took the gun to herself.

Accident, maybe, intentional probably. Guess we'll have to wait for answers.

Banned

Post imported post

Ten witnesses and that's all the information they have? How many shots were fired? Did they shoot themselves or did they shoot each other? Did they come together? It's pretty easy to determine if it wasa shootout or accidental, yet no one knows??

Banned

Post imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
    Pagan wrote:
    The articles I read a day or so ago stated she aimed and shot her son in the back of the head after buying more ammunition. Then she took the gun to herself.

Accident, maybe, intentional probably. Guess we'll have to wait for answers.

Didn't see this before I posted. Sounds believeable to me.

And, Dustin, it isn't fate that has it out for us, it's the media. Gun crimes happen ALL the time. They just choose to report as many as possible now.

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    Ten witnesses and that's all the information they have? How many shots were fired? Did they shoot themselves or did they shoot each other? Did they come together? It's pretty easy to determine if it wasa shootout or accidental, yet no one knows??
    From the article:

But then, police said, as Mitchell Moore, 20, stood facing the target, his mother stepped behind him, pointed her rented handgun at the back of his head and pulled the trigger.

"The act appeared to be deliberate," Casselberry police Officer Jeffrey Shumway wrote in a report after viewing a surveillance video of the incident from Shoot Straight on U.S. Highway 17-92.

"Mitchell Moore immediately went down from the shot," Shumway wrote. "Marie Moore then placed the pistol in her mouth and fired a single shot."

Banned

Post imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:
    From the article:

But then, police said, as Mitchell Moore, 20, stood facing the target, his mother stepped behind him, pointed her rented handgun at the back of his head and pulled the trigger.

"The act appeared to be deliberate," Casselberry police Officer Jeffrey Shumway wrote in a report after viewing a surveillance video of the incident from Shoot Straight on U.S. Highway 17-92.

"Mitchell Moore immediately went down from the shot," Shumway wrote. "Marie Moore then placed the pistol in her mouth and fired a single shot."

My bad, I assumed you copy/pasted the whole article.

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    SNIP

My bad, I assumed you copy/pasted the whole article.
    I did, but only the original article. I later added the second article.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Deleted by moderator.

Post imported post

As dark as that comment is, I believe it to be true.

Post imported post

Dustin wrote:
    It seems fate might have it out for gun owners lately ....
    Not really. The media is just trying to grease up the masses to accept another ban.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned

Post imported post

Deleted by moderator.

Post imported post

Maybe there needs to be a background check for people to rent gus as well as for those that buy guns. And I can guarantee if as a son I knew my mother had mental issues I sure as hell would not be taking her to the shooting range any time soon. Why do peopel refuse to recognize and or seek treatment for the mentally Ill?? I have mentally ill people in my family and there is just no way they will ever get access to my guns. I am sorry for the families loss, but I do believe that this one could have been avoided.

Post imported post

bufordtpisser wrote:
    Maybe there needs to be a background check for people to rent gus as well as for those that buy guns. And I can guarantee if as a son I knew my mother had mental issues I sure as hell would not be taking her to the shooting range any time soon. Why do peopel refuse to recognize and or seek treatment for the mentally Ill?? I have mentally ill people in my family and there is just no way they will ever get access to my guns. I am sorry for the families loss, but I do believe that this one could have been avoided.
    Yes, lets make it even more difficult for the law abiding to utilize firearms

Post imported post

"NO COMMENT"

Post imported post

bufordtpisser wrote:
    Maybe there needs to be a background check for people to rent gus as well as for those that buy guns.
    Yes, that would have helped. Imean it's not like she was already banned from that particular range or anything...

Banned

Post imported post

canadian wrote:
    bufordtpisser wrote:
    Maybe there needs to be a background check for people to rent gus as well as for those that buy guns.
    Yes, that would have helped. Imean it's not like she was already banned from that particular range or anything...

Hence correctly inforcing what's already there.

I'll agree with him on the point about the mentally ill though. No one seems to takeit seriously in this country and even fewer actually go for treatment.

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    I'll agree with him on the point about the mentally ill though. No one seems to takeit seriously in this country and even fewer actually go for treatment.
    You won't get any argument from me.

It's an ugly grey area, though. Where do the rights of the individual to be free from government "mental hygene" laws end, and the public's right to be free from violent psychopaths begin? How much responsibility rests on the shoulders of the family? What remedy is there when the family refuses that responsibility?

We've all seen one of those lunatics and said to ourselves "One of these days, he/she is going to kill someone." But is that enough? And who gets to make that determination?

Post imported post

I see the anti's using this to try and either ban rentals at ranges or require background chakes at ranges.

EDIT: It does not say who rented it. I misread the article before I posted.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30109090/

CASSELBERRY, Fla. - A central Florida woman who fatally shot her son then killed herself at a shooting range wrote in suicide notes to her boyfriend that she was trying to save her son.
    "I'm so sorry," Marie Moore wrote several times. "I had to send my son to heaven and myself to Hell."
    She signed two of the notes "Failed Queen."
    Authorities said Wednesday they still had no motive for the murder-suicide that shocked fellow customers and employees at the Shoot Straight range in Casselberry, about 10 miles north of Orlando, on Sunday.
    "We have no clue. I don't even want to begin to speculate," said Deputy Chief Bill McNeil of the Casselberry Police Department.
    Son shot in back of head
    The gun range's security video shows 20-year-old Mitchell Moore taking aim at a target in a booth when his mother, 44, walks up behind him and points a gun at the back of his head. In the next frame, the son is seen falling to the ground and a nearby patron appears to alert others as he points to the unseen carnage.
    The gun used was rented at the range.
    According to a police report, earlier footage from the surveillance video shows the mother and son taking turns shooting and talking with other customers in the adjacent lane. "They seem to be getting along fine," one of the responding officers said.
    The son died at the scene. Marie Moore was still alive when officers arrived at the range but later died at a hospital.
    Woman reportedly had mental illness
    Mitchell's father, Charles Moore, told police that Marie Moore had a history of mental illness and had previously attempted suicide and been involuntarily committed to a mental hospital in 2002 under the state's Baker Act.
    Larry Anderson, a manager at Shoot Straight, said it's unclear whether the Moores had been to the range before, but they weren't regular customers. The range requires that customers fill out a form with a series of questions, including whether they have ever been convicted of a felony or been declared mentally unstable. But it has no way to verify the information.
    Anderson defended the range's policies, saying: "If someone acts right, we have to assume they are right."
    Based on the writings and audio recordings that he's seen in the media, Anderson said, it's clear that Marie Moore was "bent on doing it."
    "Sometimes, like what happens Sunday, you have no control," Anderson said. "There's nothing you can do to prevent it."

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

I wonder if they'd try to ban electric cars if someone rented an electric car and ran over their whole family?

Probably not since their ire is never equally applied.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Banned

Post imported post

canadian wrote:
    It's an ugly grey area, though. Where do the rights of the individual to be free from government "mental hygene" laws end, and the public's right to be free from violent psychopaths begin? How much responsibility rests on the shoulders of the family? What remedy is there when the family refuses that responsibility?

We've all seen one of those lunatics and said to ourselves "One of these days, he/she is going to kill someone." But is that enough? And who gets to make that determination?

Mental illness is just that, an illness. I'm annoyed when people show up at work with the flu and get me sick too, yet it's a societal norm to treat sickness like it doesn't exist. We don't have laws restricting the physically sick (and in fact society encourages the opposite of restriction), so there's no reason to believe anyone would support laws restricting the mentally ill. Yet,people with bothphysical and mentalconditionscan effect you and I in negatives ways, up to (and including) death. Both need proper care and both should be restricted in how they're allowed to interact with the rest of society as long as they are ill.

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    canadian wrote:

Mental illness is just that, an illness. I'm annoyed when people show up at work with the flu and get me sick too, yet it's a societal norm to treat sickness like it doesn't exist. We don't have laws restricting the physically sick (and in fact society encourages the opposite of restriction), so there's no reason to believe anyone would support laws restricting the mentally ill. Yet,people with bothphysical and mentalconditionscan effect you and I in negatives ways, up to (and including) death. Both need proper care and both should be restricted in how they're allowed to interact with the rest of society as long as they are ill.
    That's interesting. I don't know which state it is, but I read it in a post not too long ago. They have a law making it a misdemeanor to intentionally expose another person to any infectious disease.

While I am sure that this was enacted due to someone intentionally giving someon AIDS or some other potentially deadly disease, it seems that as written, you could be charged if you intentionally went to work and exposed a co-worker to the common cold.

Post imported post

The mental illness issue seems to be playing itself out in alot of the recent gun related violence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast