• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 Killed At Indoor Gun Range

SpringerXDacp

imported post

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/4/5/1_killed_at_casselberry_gun_range.html

CASSELBERRY -- Two people are dead after being shot at a gun range.

It happened around 4:30 p.m. Sunday atShoot Straight Gun Range & Storeon U.S. Highway 17-92 in Casselberry.

One man was pronounced dead at the shooting range when paramedics arrived.

A woman was transported to Florida North Hospital in Altamonte Springs where she later died.

It’s not yet known whether the shooting was accidental or intentional.

Casselberry police said the two went to the range Sunday afternoon to target shoot.

Officerssaid there were no reported arguments between the two before the shooting. However, witnesses on the scene say the two were acting strangely before the incident.

There were between eight and 10 people who witnessed the incident.

The names of the victims have not been released.

ETA: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-locshoot07040709apr07,0,3249242.story

Pagan

imported post

The only crimeI see committed here was killing themselves if that is the case at all. At minimum shows the need for good safety habits, better gun training.

trailblazer2003

imported post

Pagan wrote:
The only crimeI see committed here was killing themselves if that is the case at all. At minimum shows the need for good safety habits, better gun training.
The articles I read a day or so ago stated she aimed and shot her son in the back of the head after buying more ammunition. Then she took the gun to herself.

Accident, maybe, intentional probably. Guess we'll have to wait for answers.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Ten witnesses and that's all the information they have? How many shots were fired? Did they shoot themselves or did they shoot each other? Did they come together? It's pretty easy to determine if it wasa shootout or accidental, yet no one knows??

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
Pagan wrote:
The articles I read a day or so ago stated she aimed and shot her son in the back of the head after buying more ammunition. Then she took the gun to herself.

Accident, maybe, intentional probably. Guess we'll have to wait for answers.

Didn't see this before I posted. Sounds believeable to me.

And, Dustin, it isn't fate that has it out for us, it's the media. Gun crimes happen ALL the time. They just choose to report as many as possible now.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Ten witnesses and that's all the information they have? How many shots were fired? Did they shoot themselves or did they shoot each other? Did they come together? It's pretty easy to determine if it wasa shootout or accidental, yet no one knows??

From the article:

But then, police said, as Mitchell Moore, 20, stood facing the target, his mother stepped behind him, pointed her rented handgun at the back of his head and pulled the trigger.

"The act appeared to be deliberate," Casselberry police Officer Jeffrey Shumway wrote in a report after viewing a surveillance video of the incident from Shoot Straight on U.S. Highway 17-92.

"Mitchell Moore immediately went down from the shot," Shumway wrote. "Marie Moore then placed the pistol in her mouth and fired a single shot."

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

From the article:

But then, police said, as Mitchell Moore, 20, stood facing the target, his mother stepped behind him, pointed her rented handgun at the back of his head and pulled the trigger.

"The act appeared to be deliberate," Casselberry police Officer Jeffrey Shumway wrote in a report after viewing a surveillance video of the incident from Shoot Straight on U.S. Highway 17-92.

"Mitchell Moore immediately went down from the shot," Shumway wrote. "Marie Moore then placed the pistol in her mouth and fired a single shot."

My bad, I assumed you copy/pasted the whole article.

bufordtpisser

imported post

Maybe there needs to be a background check for people to rent gus as well as for those that buy guns. And I can guarantee if as a son I knew my mother had mental issues I sure as hell would not be taking her to the shooting range any time soon. Why do peopel refuse to recognize and or seek treatment for the mentally Ill?? I have mentally ill people in my family and there is just no way they will ever get access to my guns. I am sorry for the families loss, but I do believe that this one could have been avoided.

hsmith

imported post

bufordtpisser wrote:
Maybe there needs to be a background check for people to rent gus as well as for those that buy guns. And I can guarantee if as a son I knew my mother had mental issues I sure as hell would not be taking her to the shooting range any time soon. Why do peopel refuse to recognize and or seek treatment for the mentally Ill?? I have mentally ill people in my family and there is just no way they will ever get access to my guns. I am sorry for the families loss, but I do believe that this one could have been avoided.
Yes, lets make it even more difficult for the law abiding to utilize firearms

canadian

imported post

bufordtpisser wrote:
Maybe there needs to be a background check for people to rent gus as well as for those that buy guns.
Yes, that would have helped. Imean it's not like she was already banned from that particular range or anything...

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

canadian wrote:
bufordtpisser wrote:
Maybe there needs to be a background check for people to rent gus as well as for those that buy guns.
Yes, that would have helped. Imean it's not like she was already banned from that particular range or anything...

Hence correctly inforcing what's already there.

I'll agree with him on the point about the mentally ill though. No one seems to takeit seriously in this country and even fewer actually go for treatment.

canadian

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
I'll agree with him on the point about the mentally ill though. No one seems to takeit seriously in this country and even fewer actually go for treatment.

You won't get any argument from me.

It's an ugly grey area, though. Where do the rights of the individual to be free from government "mental hygene" laws end, and the public's right to be free from violent psychopaths begin? How much responsibility rests on the shoulders of the family? What remedy is there when the family refuses that responsibility?

We've all seen one of those lunatics and said to ourselves "One of these days, he/she is going to kill someone." But is that enough? And who gets to make that determination?