Thread: Need a permit to open carry?

Post imported post

Alright, I am 23 years old and live in Virginia and just recently bought my first rifle a few months ago. Iam nowlooking to buy my first sidearm. My question is do I need to hold a concealed permit to open carry? A good friend of mine says that you dont, but I havent really seen any info about it on any of the state law sites.. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Post imported post

No only to carry concealed.

Post imported post

Hey thanks for the info. So as long as you can legally buy one you can openly carry right..

Post imported post

you are correct. so long as you are legally able to possess a firearm in virginia, you may openly carry it in most places. the reason you cannot seem to find anything on law sites etc is because open carry is not directly codified into law. in other words, there is nothing in virginia law that prohibits open carry, therefore it is legal. just be sure to respect private property rights etc...

Post imported post

TileLayer23 wrote:
    Hey thanks for the info. So as long as you can legally buy one you can openly carry right..
    In Virginia you can open carry at 18 - you can't buy a handgun or handgun ammo from a dealer until you are 21. At 18 you can purchase a handgun from a private citizen or have one given to you. You have to open carry until you get your CHP at 21.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

While open carry is the default and concealed carry is the exception (due to requiring a permit), it is wise to get a CHP for several reasons.

In your travels while OC'ing, it is very possible your sidearm will get partially or completely covered up from time to time. The moment this occurs, you will have gone from OC to CC. A permit will save you the potential of an arrest in such situations. And then there's this.

You may not carry open or concealed with 1000 feet of a primary or secondary school unless you have a permit issue by your state. Since there are so many schools in Virginia's residential areas, you just never know when you might be within that 1000 foot radius. And while the likelyhood of you're being arrested is probably remote, it can happen. A permit will save you here.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    While open carry is the default and concealed carry is the exception (due to requiring a permit), it is wise to get a CHP for several reasons.

In your travels while OC'ing, it is very possible your sidearm will get partially or completely covered up from time to time. The moment this occurs, you will have gone from OC to CC. A permit will save you the potential of an arrest in such situations. And then there's this.

You may not carry open or concealed with 1000 feet of a primary or secondary school unless you have a permit issue by your state. Since there are so many schools in Virginia's residential areas, you just never know when you might be within that 1000 foot radius. And while the likelyhood of you're being arrested is probably remote, it can happen. A permit will save you here.

IIRC, the 1000 foot rule is a federal law. Va law states you can't carry onto the actual school property while carrying (without a chp.) If you get pulled over within 1000 feet of a school, but not on school property, I seriously doubt the officer is going to cite you on a federal gun posession charge.

What federal law enforcement abilities do state/county/city cops have?

Post imported post

I live within 1000ft of a school. It's a federal law that was already declared unconstitutional once but re-passed by congress. I don't worry about it.

Post imported post

I don't really worry about anything those lying, stealing, sniveling criminals say or do.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

IIRC, the 1000 foot rule is a federal law. Va law states you can't carry onto the actual school property while carrying (without a chp.) If you get pulled over within 1000 feet of a school, but not on school property, I seriously doubt the officer is going to cite you on a federal gun posession charge.

Go read U.S. Code 18,922. I would rather err on the side of caution.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    leprechaun117 wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

I guess I can't drive around Charlottesville anymore. You can barely go 1000 feet without passing a school.

As a matter of fact... The one and only time my gun was taken from me I was about 50 feet from an elementary school. Not a word said. I'll err on the side of commen sense and not be on school property with a firearm.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    leprechaun117 wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

Sounds like a good idea to me. Better get a permit to exercise a right.
    That kind of thinking is what may well turn Va into a permit state!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:

Not quite so -

No guns allowed on Public/Private/Parochial School Property (CHP Holders INSIDE
    Vehicles are Exempt, i.e. picking up or dropping off student
    )

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    leprechaun117 wrote:

Not quite so -

No guns allowed on Public/Private/Parochial School Property (CHP Holders INSIDE
    Vehicles are Exempt, i.e. picking up or dropping off student
    )

****************** Yata hey

Agreed. I don't have a chp. As I said, I'll avoid their resticted areas.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    leprechaun117 wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:

Sounds like a good idea to me. Better get a permit to exercise a right.
    That kind of thinking is what may well turn Va into a permit state!
    That's a bug in my craw, too. Having to ask permission to exercise a basic American right is somehow anti-American in my book.

America First!

Post imported post

Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.

End of story.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.

End of story.
    AMEN!

Post imported post

Well I finally purchased my sidearm, I got a Ruger SR9 and for a first hg I think It was a good choice! Along with a box of shells, it cost me abot 509 dollars, the guy was really nice and I got him to come down on the price. A few days later I got a holster for it, and Ive Open caried about 4 or 5 times, mostly when going for a walk at night, but tonight I was on my mountainbike for a ride.I needed to get a drink so I stopped at the West Beverly convienience, that used to be called Cashes. Well I noticed there were a few people in the store and a guy sitting on a bench inside, I walked in and went to get a drink and a lady walked right by and didnt seem to notice. I got to the counter and there were two women buying some beer, and I waited my turn and smiled while they were jokin around about the beer, I payed for my drink and went back outside to my mountainbike.. Nobody said a word! I havent had any "bad reactions" as of yet. A few weeks ago before I got my hg I was on my way home and it wasnt even dark yet and I heard about ten shots fired. I was on my bike and got a few more blocks when a few Staunton City Police stopped and asked me about the shots fired and I told him the direction they came from, I told him that I had my rights and that this was another good reason for me to carry one, he chuckled and pulled off. The few times I have oc I feel like it might actually deter some of these people and criminals form doing crazy things, even if it only reminds them that law abiding people do own firearms..

Post imported post

Is it permissable to OC a shotgun in VA?>

Banned

Post imported post

RoisinDubh wrote:
    the reason you cannot seem to find anything on law sites etc is because open carry is not directly codified into law. in other words, there is nothing in virginia law that prohibits open carry, therefore it is legal.
    Americans seem to have forgotten that this is the way law works. Americans seem to want a list of permissions.

Post imported post

TileLayer23 wrote:
    Well I finally purchased my sidearm, I got a Ruger SR9 and for a first hg I think It was a good choice! Along with a box of shells, it cost me abot 509 dollars, the guy was really nice and I got him to come down on the price. A few days later I got a holster for it, and Ive Open caried about 4 or 5 times,
    No mention of you taking it to the range and making sure it actually works?

Post imported post

No kidding I know someone who has a SR9 that went back to Ruger after ~300 range rounds for a whole bunch of warranty fixing. Late '08 post recall production and everything.

Find a range and make sure it goes click and bang when you tell it to.

Post imported post

spitfyr wrote:
    No kidding I know someone who has a SR9 that went back to Ruger after ~300 range rounds for a whole bunch of warranty fixing. Late '08 post recall production and everything.

Find a range and make sure it goes click and bang when you tell it to.

I hear ya, yeah I went up to my buddys place up on the mtn and put 50 rounds through it, thats all I could afford at the time, it shot pretty good the whole time except a few shell casings got caught when it was ejecting em, it happend like 3 times. I just pulled the slide back to let em out.. Im confident from shooting it that it will go band when I tell it to. I got another box of 50 and when I can afford to do it Im gonna put a whole lot more through it!

Post imported post

The SR9 I am thinking of didnt develop its problem until after 200 rounds.

I wouldnt trust yours until you have put 500+ trouble free rounds through it, then cleaned the heck out of it. Just my opinion.

Sounds like this may be your problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limp_wristing

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

spitfyr wrote:
    The SR9 I am thinking of didnt develop its problem until after 200 rounds.

I wouldnt trust yours until you have put 500+ trouble free rounds through it, then cleaned the heck out of it. Just my opinion.

Sounds like this may be your problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limp_wristing
    Stove piping is most often cause by limp wristing but there are a few mechanical issues that can contribute to it also.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.