• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When seconds count

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

My friend's sister works at a Cash Advance store in Turlock. On Saturday, March 28, she was working the early shift alone. Two men came into the store and stormed the counter. She was held at gun point, tied up, and put in the bathroom.

After they left, her cell phone started ringing. She managed to get the phone out of her pocket and flip it open. She yelled into the phone that she was tied up in the bathroom. Her boyfriend, on the other end of the line, immediately called 9-1-1 as he rushed out of the house. He arrived before the cops did! (To be fair, I have no idea where he lives or how long it took him to get there.)

I'm sharing this here, obviously because it hits close to home for me. Also, because it illustrates the need for people to be armed. My friend's sister was very lucky not to have been hurt. She is a gun enthusiast, and last I heard was pursuing a degree in criminal justice. She owns a gun and is a good shot with it... but her gun was at home.

Just another example of the police being minutes away when seconds count. It's not their fault - we can't have a cop on every corner... it's just the reality we live in.

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

wow that is great that she is ok!
so many businesses nowadays have no gun policies in place for their employees which i feel is wrong. in times like this, especially people handling money, need to be armed. having a no guns sign in the window and not having employees armed just tells criminals that the place of business is an easy target.

i worked for halliburton, and you wouldnt believe how many people hated me just because of who i worked for. we were out in the desert in nevada a lot, up in the geysers near clear lake, and ive seen a lot of stuff. i even had one guy trying to get into my semi when i was sleeping in it.

I couldnt carry a firearm. many people did, and many people also almost lost their jobs because of it. people need to be armed, people need to be able to defend themselves. it is too bad our elected officials dont do anything about this.

all in all, i am glad that she is safe and was not injured. maybe now she will carry at work and maybe her company will see the benefits.

Legend_AB

imported post

Glad to hear that your friend's sister is OK.

I for one would not work at a cash advance place or convenience store/gas station if I were not allowed to be armed.

It's bad enough that most of us are not allowed to be armed at our current jobs, and those other places get robbed way to much.

But I also understand that a lot of people don't have a choice in these tough times and have to do what they have to do.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Which is why you cannot allow gun registration. Without it the gun that stops
the BG was dropped by him, "not mine, I don't carry at work, he dropped it."
This way you stay allive and keep your job. You may even be able to recover
the gun back by sueing the corpse for mental anguish settlement. Then
sell it for a new unregistered one.

demnogis

imported post

After this her employer should seriously consider allowing her to carry and/or keeping a firearm accessible under the counter.

Glad your friend's sister is still alive.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

demnogis wrote:
After this her employer should seriously consider allowing her to carry and/or keeping a firearm accessible under the counter.
From what I understand, they're considering putting up a wall where the counter is right now. All transactions would be done through bullet-proof glass.

She said she's going to apply for a CCW. In Turlock she will almost certainly get it due to her circumstances.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Legend_AB wrote:
I for one would not work at a cash advance place or convenience store/gas station if I were not allowed to be armed.
The funny thing is that they don't keep a lot of cash on hand. The word "cash" is in the name of the store, but the advances they give are in check form. The only cash they handle is when people come in to repay their loans.

Before being robbed, she had served only one customer. I don't know how much the robbers made off with, but I understand that they would have gotten a lot more money by robbing the sandwich shop next door. (Her brother works at the sandwich shop, and confirmed this theory.)

However, I suppose any business with "cash" in the name is going to be a prime target for theft.

ar15guy

imported post

From what I understand, they're considering putting up a wall where the counter is right now. All transactions would be done through bullet-proof glass.

She said she's going to apply for a CCW. In Turlock she will almost certainly get it due to her circumstances.

The chief in Turlock will not issue her a CCW. I am a bounty hunter and he would not approve us to carry, he would not issue to a former-sheriff turned bounty hunter.

His position is that is you haven't completed the P.O.S.T. (peace officers standards and training then you don't need a CCW permit.) Due to the fact that a former LEO couldn't get it I Highly doubt she will qualify. Oh, and a correctional officer's are excluded too.

Now, he will not even consider her for a CCW, she will have to go to the Stanislaus sheriff department on Hackett Road in Modesto.

Good luck though and let us know if she's successful. You never know what those bureaucrats may do!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ar15guy wrote:
The chief in Turlock will not issue her a CCW. I am a bounty hunter and he would not approve us to carry, he would not issue to a former-sheriff turned bounty hunter.

His position is that is you haven't completed the P.O.S.T. (peace officers standards and training then you don't need a CCW permit.) Due to the fact that a former LEO couldn't get it I Highly doubt she will qualify. Oh, and a correctional officer's are excluded too.

Now, he will not even consider her for a CCW, she will have to go to the Stanislaus sheriff department on Hackett Road in Modesto.

Good luck though and let us know if she's successful. You never know what those bureaucrats may do!
Not sure where you get your info; I know two people who have CCWs issued by the TPD Chief, and neither of them are POST graduates, and neither of them have as compelling of "good cause" as this woman does.

I'm pretty sure she'll get one, as long as she doesn't use me as a reference!

ar15guy

imported post

I got my info directly from Sue Steele, the person who used to be in charge of CCW issuance, Now if you call TPD they Are not issuing them anymore, you have to go through the county.
Not trying to get into a tussle, but you can call police services as i did.
209-668-5550.
:)

Being a bounty hunter i have my open carry through the state, the city and county would not issue an open carry or CCW.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ar15guy wrote:
I got my info directly from Sue Steele, the person who used to be in charge of CCW issuance, Now if you call TPD they Are not issuing them anymore, you have to go through the county.
Not trying to get into a tussle, but you can call police services as i did.
209-668-5550.
:)

Being a bounty hunter i have my open carry through the state, the city and county would not issue an open carry or CCW.
Oh, I hadn't heard that Sue is no longer in charge of CCWs. I didn't hear anything about it from my friends, so they must have been able to renew through the county with no problems.

Thanks for the info; I'll pass it along.

ar15guy

imported post

Yeah, no problem. I imagine renewing is no problem once you've already obtained the CCW.

Cheers.:)