• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McMiller Sports Center

tomm1963

imported post

[size="+1"]Bad New for McMiller Sports Center in Wisconsin[/size]
http://www.wernvalley.com/newsletter.html]From http://www.wernvalley.com/newsletter.html ^[/url] | 4/7/09 | Wern Valley Sports Center

A recommendation to close the sporting clays range at McMiller Sports Center has been proposed by Paul Sandgren, WDNR-Superintendent of the Southern Unit of The Kettle Moraine Forest. This is the same person who proposed closure of parts of the forest to deer hunting this past fall.
The contract (lease) with Wern Valley to operate McMiller for the DNR is due to expire (after 15 years) on March 31st. There is no contract up for bid as yet. The Department has asked the lease with Wern Valley be extended on a month to month basis while it makes up its mind what it wants to do. As surely as the sun will rise- the fallout from trying to close the range is only going to prolong the process and create yet another political debate.
Sandgren’s argument for closure is based primarily on the damage being done to trees and the environment. Never mind there are over 700 acres dedicated to ski trails that were created by cutting thousands of trees out of the 20,000 acres of the Southern Unit of the Forest. The McMiller sporting clays footprint takes up .0004% of that same forest!
There are serious implications for all sportsmen in this. Some sportsmen believe this is part of an agenda to get rid of McMiller all together. The bottom line is, once again a shooting facility is coming under attack, only this time it’s coming from the very place sportsmen could hardly have expected it to come from just 15 years ago. Call it a sign of the times.
To be sure, every major hook and bullet group in the State is joining to go to bat on this. The word is out and spreading like wildfire, and Gloria McCutcheon, DNR Superintendent here in the Southeast Region has promised an opportunity for the public to comment at some point. And so it goes. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing for sure who will be the operator of the range in the future or under what terms. Now would be a good time to think about contacting the DNR, your legislator, your organizations and fellow shooters to get the word out. Our kids are going to need a place to shoot some day, where zoning laws and development can’t get in the way. McMiller was supposed to be that place, so get going!
From http://www.wernvalley.com/newsletter.html
You can send a note to Paul here Paul.Sandgren@wisconsin.gov and Gloria here gloria.mccutcheon@wisconsin.gov

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

HO Ho ho! Even the Wisconsin Pro-gun Movement won't mention its assiliation with the NRA. Here is the NRA, that couldn't be bothered with Brad Krause's case, stepping up to defend a sporting clays venue. There is more money in the shotgun-chic than in a homeowner and gardener.

FLR&@

imported post

I have kept my mouth shut as long as I can concerning the NRA.

I contacted the NRA about Mr. Krause’s case and they responded to me in about 72 hrs. I was never given permission to post the response but it went something like this.

We are aware of the case and are watching it. We only intervene when asked. It would be up to the attorneys representing the accused to ask for our help.

So that’s my 2cents bash away.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FLR72:

Here's my two cents. I have contacted and received response from Cupp, Staetsch and Austin who are each representatives of the NRA. My responses were similar to yours. "The NRA must be invited". Information expressed by Krause on his radio interview was that the NRA was contacted. The NRA response was that there wsn't enough money but they did offer Krause a 10% reduction in a membership to the NRA. The contact as I hear it was Christopher Conte, chief lawyer for the NRA. Who do you think should have been contacted? The bottom line is that the NRA left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. It is self-destructing from within.

smithman

imported post

The DNR is at it again. I see more evidence every day that they quietly do not support sportsman.

They're concerned with environmental damage on a tiny portion of the McMiller campus...well then they must want to do something productive with that land after re-taking possession of it. Oh, wait, it appears they want it to just sit idle. Great planning. What a crock. Maybe they'll open up a new area which they can close down in 10 years from now with the same excuse.

The DNR is mismanaging the deer herds with the 'earn a buck' and their population model which is causing the deer population to plummet while their so-called population model tells them the population is stable or growing. Meanwhile, hunter deer kills and deer-car accidents (indicators of population) are way down. But there are no plans to get rid of this 'earn a buck' system that I have heard of even though it is clearly damaging the state's deer. Though they are pleasing the non-sportsman of the state with fewer deer car crashes. Given the current deer population trends, opening day as we know it may be a complete joke in 3 years with almost nobody bothering to go out since there are little chance of you seeing a deer.

FLR&@

imported post

Lammie-

I have a feeling that if they offered him a 10% discount on membership he is not a NRA member, is this true? Also I cannot remember who wrote back to me; it was about six months ago when I was still in Vegas so its kind of a blur.

As for the F*&^ %$) DNR. I have been dealing with them quite a bit these days. This was the first year in @ 15 years my brother has not shot a deer. So I spoke with a warden who said there are fewer deer now than in the last 20 or so years if not more, at least in the area we hunt. Then he grumbled a bit about the current leadership and planning.

But I can say with certainty the S.E. Wisconsin DNR is filled with tree hugger’s and fishermen who don’t give a damn about hunting and are more worried about that oak tree, down range from the trap at Mc. Miller, and removing dams than your target practice or teaching your kid to shoot.

Remember they are a branch of the EPA and only answer to Jimmy D so that in it self is a huge problem.