Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: 1911 Carry Condition Auto Safety

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post


  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    Umm yeah, 'cause 1911 owners have constant problems with misfires and snagging....right? Every once in a while I hear people whine about how carrying a 1911 with the hammer back must be unsafe, yet there's no justification for it. Whats the justification for this??

  3. #3
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    Umm yeah, 'cause 1911 owners have constant problems with misfires and snagging....right? Every once in a while I hear people whine about how carrying a 1911 with the hammer back must be unsafe, yet there's no justification for it. Whats the justification for this??
    Regardless of how YOU feel about carrying in condition 1 some people are and always will feel uneasy doing so. Being that condition 1 is the most efficient manner to carry a 1911 perhaps this product would be good for those who just need the training wheels necessary to carry their 1911 in condition 1. I was nervous at first too and eventually got over it. But just because accidents dont happen often doesn't mean that they don't or can't happen. Its just an added layer of protection and peace of mind....whether you agree with it or not. Some people would find this product beneficial. Other than that, it's just kinda cool.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    Regardless of how YOU feel about carrying in condition 1 some people are and always will feel uneasy doing so.
    True hoplophobes.

  5. #5
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    Regardless of how YOU feel about carrying in condition 1 some people are and always will feel uneasy doing so.
    True hoplophobes.
    Maybe, also maybe older people, women, younger people, people who only carry for self defense...blah blah blah.

    Unfortunately, not EVERYONE is a gun "nut", an OCer, an NRA/VCDL member or has stacks of gun magazines sitting in their closet.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    224

    Post imported post

    I guess it is nice window dressing but it essentially leaves the gun in condition one. It might ease someone'smindby giving the illusion that the gun is somehow "safer" or "decocked." I guess if someone wants to spend a couple of hundred on an illusion it's their money but I can't see the point of spending that muchmoney just to change the way I ready my weapon for use. It also apparently isn't available for those who carry 3" Colts (series 90).

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    Doug Huffman wrote:
    richarcm wrote:
    Regardless of how YOU feel about carrying in condition 1 some people are and always will feel uneasy doing so.
    True hoplophobes.
    Maybe, also maybe older people, women, younger people, people who only carry for self defense...blah blah blah.

    Unfortunately, not EVERYONE is a gun "nut", an OCer, an NRA/VCDL member or has stacks of gun magazines sitting in their closet.

    I know many older people, women, and young people that are scared of seeing any gun, let alone a 1911 properly locked and loaded. A lot of those people think open carry is scary, but don't have a problem with concealed carry.

    This thing falls into the same category. It doesn't make the weapon any more or less safe. It just makes it appear more safe. If anything it has the potential to make the weapon less reliable, as it is adding more moving parts.

    If a woman wont drive over 25 MPH because she thinks it's unsafe, you'd tell her to just stay off the dang road. If a 1911 owner is afraid of his own handgun, I think he just needs to get a new handgun, or stick to using a club.

  8. #8
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    Okay, you people are right. Surely there has never been a single one of these sold. There exists not one person owns a 1911 is concerned about carrying in condition 1. You've all proven me wrong.

    I'm not arguing the rationality or the safety of condition 1. But thanks for the education. I'm arguing that not everyone knows that condition 1 is safe. Unless you start some movement to educate every gun owner of this there will be people who just don't know. You can argue it, debate it, spin it, not like it...whatever. SOME people dont know that condition 1 is safe and they WILL be uneasy about carrying it in such a manner or just want an extra layer of protection.

  9. #9
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    Another benefit may or may not be that it would possible decrease the chances that someone or some cop may question you or harass you due to having your gun in condition 1.

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    richarcm wrote:
    Another benefit may or may not be that it would possible decrease the chances that someone or some cop may question you or harass you due to having your gun in condition 1.
    I can't use ignorance as an excuse to break the law, so why should a cop be able to use ignorance as an excuse to harass me?

    Anyway you needn't take it so personally. You didn't invent the thing, after all. The problem I see is simply that it's a product made based on an irrational fear. It's like a mini piece of gun control in your own gun! lol

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    224

    Post imported post

    I understand the arguement about perception but that's just the point, it's perception only. It doesn'tadd any element of safety to the gun. The gun is still essentially condition one in function. The only real difference is thatyou have the hammer down on a loaded chamber which normally is not the safest of conditions especially if the weapon is dropped or struck on the hammer. My assumption is that the "internal hammer" is effectively isolated from the firing pin but it appears the external hammer must be cocked for the weapon to discharge so it is stillan intergral part of the firing mechanism. For those concerned abouta negativeperception of a cocked and locked 1911 it looks like just the ticket if you can afford to part with the money.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NOVA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    732

    Post imported post

    My hammer has never snagged on anything during a draw. If anything will snag, it'll be that huge beaver tail, not the hammer.

    It's a nice product but not for me. Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I understand the ramifications of carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. If someone is looking at carrying a 1911 they should do the research on what method it's carried before purchasing.

    Just because something gets sold, doesn't make it a good product. Think Ford Pinto...

    Like someone mentioned, just adds another layer of something breaking. Give me a series 70 pistol any day of the week...

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    266

    Post imported post

    I'm new to carrying a 1911 (SA 1911-A1 Mil-Spec 5" SS (yes I'm proud of it)), to me carrying it is con-1 is no different than carrying my XD with one in the pipe as they both are cocked and locked. It is just that the 1911 has a visible hammer and manual safety instead of the 'trigger safety', so far I have never had any problem with the hammer snagging while drawing(or any other time).

    The only thing I have to watch on my 1911 is the manual safety, I have found it in the off position twice (in past month), the only thing I can figure is the thumb-break on my holster (Bianchi Black Widow) sometimes catches the safety while re-holstering, at first this concerned me, but I still have the grip safety, which I do not depress while re-holstering,and when I am handling the gun, I never have the booger picker on the bang switch until I am ready to fire.

    I now check the safety after re-holstering, but have yet to find it in the off position since, maybe the Bianchi just needed to be broken in...I dunno.

    In regards to the product listed in the OP, to me it is fixing something that isn't broken, but that is just my opinion.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama, ,
    Posts
    1,338

    Post imported post

    I must be missing something, lowering the hammer by hand is safe.....
    The video wasn't clear when he pulled the trigger, was the grip safety depressed?
    Didn't look to me he had a firm grip on it.

    Also didn't look to me that he had a mag, and chambered a round. Course
    it could have been black tallons and hidden in the shadow.

    But if I already had a lifetime of ammo, and my hammer spring broke, and all other
    parts were banned by BHO, well I might give it a try.

    The simple solution is the one advocated here, OC the thing and it won't snag
    on your cloaths.



  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Centreville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    581

    Post imported post

    Mississippian wrote:
    I'm new to carrying a 1911 (SA 1911-A1 Mil-Spec 5" SS (yes I'm proud of it)), to me carrying it is con-1 is no different than carrying my XD with one in the pipe as they both are cocked and locked. It is just that the 1911 has a visible hammer and manual safety instead of the 'trigger safety', so far I have never had any problem with the hammer snagging while drawing(or any other time).

    The only thing I have to watch on my 1911 is the manual safety, I have found it in the off position twice (in past month), the only thing I can figure is the thumb-break on my holster (Bianchi Black Widow) sometimes catches the safety while re-holstering, at first this concerned me, but I still have the grip safety, which I do not depress while re-holstering,and when I am handling the gun, I never have the booger picker on the bang switch until I am ready to fire.

    I now check the safety after re-holstering, but have yet to find it in the off position since, maybe the Bianchi just needed to be broken in...I dunno.

    In regards to the product listed in the OP, to me it is fixing something that isn't broken, but that is just my opinion.

    Thats because of the holster. Most of thumb break holstersfor 1911 are designed to carry ONLY in condition 3 (or condition 2, but that's unsafe). I think there is a brand or 2 that make thumb break holsters for 1911 to carry in condition 1, but i am not sure what the names are.

    What i do know for fact is that NONE of Bianchior Galco thumb break holsters for 1911 are designed for condition 1 carry. Galco lists it in in their catalouges and as for Bianchi i checked with their technical specialist and that's what they said.

    I'm also a big fan of thumb break holsters and never trusted open tops with retention, but when i started carrying 1911, i bought Galco Combat master to use for CC. Retention is plenty - i tried running up and down the stairs purposely trying to make the holster jump with my belt and gun didn't move a single bit (that's with 5" barrel at least). Draw is easy and smooth though. If i wanted to OC it, i'd probably get a Sepra.


  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burton, Michigan
    Posts
    3,361

    Post imported post

    Chaingun81 wrote:
    Thats because of the holster. Most of thumb break holstersfor 1911 are designed to carry ONLY in condition 3 (or condition 2, but that's unsafe). I think there is a brand or 2 that make thumb break holsters for 1911 to carry in condition 1, but i am not sure what the names are.

    What i do know for fact is that NONE of Bianchior Galco thumb break holsters for 1911 are designed for condition 1 carry. Galco lists it in in their catalouges and as for Bianchi i checked with their technical specialist and that's what they said.

    I'm also a big fan of thumb break holsters and never trusted open tops with retention, but when i started carrying 1911, i bought Galco Combat master to use for CC. Retention is plenty - i tried running up and down the stairs purposely trying to make the holster jump with my belt and gun didn't move a single bit (that's with 5" barrel at least). Draw is easy and smooth though. If i wanted to OC it, i'd probably get a Sepra.

    The thumb break holsters do work best, especially when new, for1911 platforms with the hammer down. However, they also workwell for conditions 0 and 1. After my holster was broke-in it works just fine for condition 0 & 1.

    The thumb break holster that works best for conditions 0 and 1 are the ones where the strap has a notched areathat is about1/3 the width of the strap which allows additional room for the hammer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •