• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First 'Idiot' Encounter...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Wife was in the dental office on Cortaro Rd in Marana... soI decided to wander over to the Mickey D's. 'Rather than take the truck... I walked the block or so. On the way... I hadda cross thru a gas station lot ('Don't recall the name of it). I'm wearin' a red western shirt, Wranglers, boots, sunglasses'n a new Stetson straw... The 1911 is cross draw on my gunbelt.

'Bout 'time I'm in mid-lot... some yahoo starts yellin' "I don't want no trouble... I don't want no trouble... " puts his hands up 'n starts walkin' backward to the car he just exited. He's about 40' away. The car had a front tag holder but no tag... He looked like one of those loud-mouths you might encounter inna sports bar somewhere... mid 30's maybe. I just looked in his direction (when he yelled),then ignored him. 'Didn't notice if there was anyone else in the car or not.

This is the kind'a goof that'll call a MWAG on ya... so I didn't engage him at all. Doubtful he's a 'Zonie. The gas station is right off I-10... so no tellin' where he was from. 'Sounded like a nor-easterner tho.

Michigander

imported post

In AZ, everyone I met that was ignorant to OCing was from the PRK. But, the east coast would make plenty of sense too.

With guys like that, you kinda hope they'll call the cops, so that the dispatcher can tell him to call back when you actually break a law.

GWbiker

imported post

Probably a tourist from Chicago heading to California.

FogRider

imported post

Sounds like the punk I had a run in with at the convenience store up the street. I see three younger guys (high school age) in one of the isles, and the obviously noticed my sidearm. As soon as I get within a few feet one of them throws his hands up and loudly states "Don't shoot me man!". I didn't say anything, but was fairly annoyed, especially when I realized the hassle this punk could have caused me had a cop been in there.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Sounds like the punk I had a run in with at the convenience store up the street. I see three younger guys (high school age) in one of the isles, and the obviously noticed my sidearm. As soon as I get within a few feet one of them throws his hands up and loudly states "Don't shoot me man!". I didn't say anything, but was fairly annoyed, especially when I realized the hassle this punk could have caused me had a cop been in there.
'Wonder if there's somethin' people like that can be charged with? 'Like yellin' Fire inna movie theatre. They think they're bein' funny. It's raising a false alarm for sure.

Armed4Life

imported post

Sounds like he was just trying to get a rise out of you. I was waiting inthe checkout line in the supermarket. The cashier apoligizes for the wait....It's my turn to checkout. She sees the holstered gun and says "I'll try not to get you mad. I don't want to get shot" to which I replied without thinking...."It rarely happens, only whenI have to wait to long in the supermarket checkout". She let's out a nervous giggle and I walk out.

FogRider

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
'Wonder if there's somethin' people like that can be charged with? 'Like yellin' Fire inna movie theatre. They think they're bein' funny. It's raising a false alarm for sure.
There may be, if anything came of it. In my case the only thing that happened was I walked past him without even dignifying him with a response.

Armed4Life, I'm not sure who you were talking about, but the kid in my story was definitely attempting to jerk my chain. The stupid grin on his face and the giggling with his buddies made that obvious.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
Sounds like he was just trying to get a rise out of you. I was waiting inthe checkout line in the supermarket. The cashier apoligizes for the wait....It's my turn to checkout. She sees the holstered gun and says "I'll try not to get you mad. I don't want to get shot" to which I replied without thinking...."It rarely happens, only whenI have to wait to long in the supermarket checkout". She let's out a nervous giggle and I walk out.
Yeah it's kinda funny but you never know how people can react. I'd have probably said "You don't pull one on me and I won't pull one on you" which would make them think "Hey, I could carry one too!" at least in a perfect world.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I wouldn't even hint of a threat to 'pull' on anybody. Not even in jest. Not in todays litigant world.

I've never had anybody do that before... 'sort'a caught me off guard.'Lotta goofs out there.

protector84

imported post

While I wasn't there, another possibility is that it could have been a resident of Arizona but just some weirdo on drugs. I have noticed more and more people in public places who are clearly "out of it" and seem either drunk, stoned, on prescription medication, or other drugs. A lot of people seem to have mental issues as well. I've noticed numerous times in relatively empty fast food restaurants how a person can't sit still in a seat. They have to keep switching seats up to ten or more times. A lot of the problem with people I believe is a combination of drugs (prescription, illegal, and alcohol) along with mental problems which may have also been self-induced. I don't know what it is anymore but it seems like hardly anyone anywhere is anything I would call "normal."

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Armed4Life wrote:
Sounds like he was just trying to get a rise out of you.  I was waiting in the checkout line in the supermarket.  The cashier apoligizes for the wait....It's my turn to checkout.  She sees the holstered gun and says "I'll try not to get you mad. I don't want to get shot" to which I replied without thinking...."It rarely happens, only when I have to wait to long in the supermarket checkout".  She let's out a nervous giggle and I walk out.

That is the most classic line I have heard yet!!!! I almost want to use it myself.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

dreamcro wrote:
Armed4Life wrote:
That is the most classic line I have heard yet!!!! I almost want to use it myself.

Oh, you should dream up a number of these. Works wonders. As in the example above, the people are usually just trying to be humorous.

I told a waitress once that I carried because their steak was so rare I wasn't sure it was dead, or something like that. Of course, I said it playfully with a big smile. She just laughed.

Of course, it only works on the people who are trying to be humorous. So, you will have to listen for the speaker's tone of voice. If there is any hint of antagonism, where they are baiting you, then you will want to take a totally different tack.

Snake Eater

imported post

I was in Walmart one night Ocing and when I it got to be my turn I noticed the person at the register was in a wheel chair.

From my left I hear give me the gun Fred and I'll shoot it for ya. Man did I turn quick even though my name is not Fred. The old lady from the next register is standing there with her hand out and Fred says which gun you want.

The poor old lady whent white for a split sec and said I think the lamp is dead give me the scanning gun with a nervous laugh. After that it was all jokes and laughs.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack I just moved from AZ to back to VA.

Will

protector84

imported post

I haven't been bothered by anyone for OCing for awhile but I am not likely to have a lot of tact or tolerance if somebody does. If someone wants to act stupid, fine, but leave me alone. I have the right to conduct my business and my transactions without being badgered, hassled, and bothered by people. Since this hasn't happened recently I get the impression that most people who would want to start trouble decide not to by the look on my face. I have no problem raising my voice in a public place and yelling at a person to "hit the road" and I've done it plenty of times before. Most of these were not for OCing issues but just some weirdo who wanted something. I don't have to put up with it and I won't. A common one I use is "Excuse me, was I bothering you? Was I in your space or your business? No, I wasn't. Now go away and leave me in peace or there will be trouble."

Just today at a coffee shop while I'm in line to order, an older gentleman who clearly looked as if he was out of state (had an accent and was dressed strangely), started gawking at me endlessly. While I'm actually paying for my coffee, the man gets up and is standing very close to me on my left side and I kind of glance over. Then while I'm getting change, he is on my right side. At that point, I completely turn toward him, back up, and make a bit of a face indicating I'm not amused at which point the man sits back down. He probably comes from a state that isn't OC-friendly and was intrigued by the gun, didn't seem upset about it, but I'm sorry you can be a little more polite than just staring at someone and following them around. Another example was at a bank where a lady got so close to me I couldn't even move an arm without bumping into her so I asked her to kindly step back and give me more space. She looked shocked but she did. I refuse to put up with this political correctness where you are supposed to tolerate everyone and everything no matter how crude, rude, and inappropriate they are just to avoid any type of "confrontation" or "hurt feelings." BS. Leave me alone, stay out of my space, and out of my business. Enough said.

Jarod44588

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
'Wife was in the dental office on Cortaro Rd in Marana... soI decided to wander over to the Mickey D's. 'Rather than take the truck... I walked the block or so. On the way... I hadda cross thru a gas station lot ('Don't recall the name of it). I'm wearin' a red western shirt, Wranglers, boots, sunglasses'n a new Stetson straw... The 1911 is cross draw on my gunbelt.

'Bout 'time I'm in mid-lot... some yahoo starts yellin' "I don't want no trouble... I don't want no trouble... " puts his hands up 'n starts walkin' backward to the car he just exited. He's about 40' away. The car had a front tag holder but no tag... He looked like one of those loud-mouths you might encounter inna sports bar somewhere... mid 30's maybe. I just looked in his direction (when he yelled),then ignored him. 'Didn't notice if there was anyone else in the car or not.

This is the kind'a goof that'll call a MWAG on ya... so I didn't engage him at all. Doubtful he's a 'Zonie. The gas station is right off I-10... so no tellin' where he was from. 'Sounded like a nor-easterner tho.

HAHA thats great. Ignorant people at there finest. Its odd though cuz i live so far from most of you, so my stories arent quite as good, but has anyone been to the wal mart in Show Low? There are ALWAYS 2 workers that look at me, and anyone else Oc'ing really funny, some guy that has a beard in the sporting goods at the ammo counter, and one lady at the register up front. She looks pretty high class, you know? Hair and makeup same everyday. She works in the 20 items or less line usually, someone should strike up a conversation with one of them sometime :D
bet it would be interesting

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

Then while I'm getting change, he is on my right side. At that point, I completely turn toward him, back up, and make a bit of a face indicating I'm not amused at which point the man sits back down.
I would have been worried that he was going to go for my gun going from one side to another, someone like that would not like my response.