• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun range shooting

Essex1984

imported post

Ok, there have a been a few threads going about police shooting and murders that could have been changed had a person on scene been armed and willing to defend his life and the lifes of others.

How ever this is a news story that I personaly felt my gut wrench a bit on.

http://www.myfox8.com/wghp-orlando-murder-suicide-090407,0,2123539.story

Wanted to toss it out to the boards and see if there were any thoughs.

Essex

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, my first answer would be that there was likely little time to react as that this wasn't a mass shooting situation.

I would wager that also at a range the first instinct would be that a shooting would be accidental and thus would not immediately sound alarms in other shooters that a threat might exist.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Wow, that's a messed up story. I guess the thing about having guns around to prevent shootings is that if a person is determined to kill another person, they will be able to do it if they aren't stupid. However, this situation isn't restricted to firearms, as any additional power given to a person could allow a homicide without much ability to prevent it.

Ever drive on a street without a barrier in the middle separating the lanes? Ever buy poison? Ever have a knife in your hand while somebody had their back to you? Ever have a baseball bat in while somebody nearby didn't have catcher's gear on? Obviously the examples are numerous.

In this tragic situation, a person took advantage of the shooting range setting, and was allowed to fire a single round at point blank range at somebody facing away from her. Trying to stop a crime like that would be nigh on impossible. But trying to stop a suicidal driver from veering into oncoming traffic at a random time would also be nigh on impossible. An intelligent motivated attack cannot be foiled IMO.

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Just this weekend I took some first time shooters to the range and explained that ranges that rent firearms will not rent to a person coming alone to prevent renting to a suicidal person. People coming in pairs are expectable because it is assumed you wouldn't got to the range to rent a gun with your suicidal (or mentally troubled) friend.

What a shame, my heart goes out to there families.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

bad_ace wrote:
Just this weekend I took some first time shooters to the range and explained that ranges that rent firearms will not rent to a person coming alone to prevent renting to a suicidal person. People coming in pairs are expectable because it is assumed you wouldn't got to the range to rent a gun with your suicidal (or mentally troubled) friend.
Strange, I've never heard of that before... I know I've seen at least one person go to the range alone and rent a gun, so it's not universal...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
Wow, that's a messed up story. I guess the thing about having guns around to prevent shootings is that if a person is determined to kill another person, they will be able to do it if they aren't stupid. However, this situation isn't restricted to firearms, as any additional power given to a person could allow a homicide without much ability to prevent it.

Ever drive on a street without a barrier in the middle separating the lanes? Ever buy poison? Ever have a knife in your hand while somebody had their back to you? Ever have a baseball bat in while somebody nearby didn't have catcher's gear on? Obviously the examples are numerous.

In this tragic situation, a person took advantage of the shooting range setting, and was allowed to fire a single round at point blank range at somebody facing away from her. Trying to stop a crime like that would be nigh on impossible. But trying to stop a suicidal driver from veering into oncoming traffic at a random time would also be nigh on impossible. An intelligent motivated attack cannot be foiled IMO.
Exactly. This really isn't about the gun at all. When you're talking about a woman who is sick enough that she could murder her own son (the method is irrelevant) you're dealing with an issue that goes much deeper than possession of a firearm vs. lack thereof. This woman probably could not have been trusted to have access to her son's room at night, yet her family was obviously unaware of any warning signs, to the point that her son went shooting(!) with her. This just underlines the fact that it is inherently impossible to prevent every possible scenario; one can only react to the statistically relevant. This tragic event simply does not fall into that category.

CA_Libertarian wrote:
bad_ace wrote:
Strange, I've never heard of that before... I know I've seen at least one person go to the range alone and rent a gun, so it's not universal...
They have this rule at the range I shoot at here in SF.

Decoligny

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Well, my first answer would be that there was likely little time to react as that this wasn't a mass shooting situation.

I would wager that also at a range the first instinct would be that a shooting would be accidental and thus would not immediately sound alarms in other shooters that a threat might exist.

And another thing that would limit the reactionis thefact that a gunshot ringing out at a firing range is not something that would usually draw attention.

Most people wouldn't even turn to look unless someone screamed or theireyecaught the movement of the person falling to the floor.