Thread: Stretch of 29 through Manassas Battlefield...National Park?

Post imported post

Figured somebody may know this around here...is that stretch of 29 that parallels I-66 through the Manassas Battlefield considered National Park property, or just the lands on either side?

It's a great way to avoid the traffic jam westbound where the lanes neck down if I'm headed south to see my folks...but am I going to run afoul of the Park Police if I'm carrying, or is that stretch patrolled by Prince William County?

Post imported post

29is patrolled by the National Park Service between the park borders, with shared jurisdiction.

They are also very pro-active on speeding.

My guess (and only a guess) is that as long as you stay on the road, state rules should apply. Turn into any of the roads or such of the park, you are on park property. Again, only my guess.

Carl

Post imported post

t11spanner wrote:

My guess (and only a guess) is that as long as you stay on the road, state rules should apply. Turn into any of the roads or such of the park, you are on park property. Again, only my guess.

This is what I was told by a Park Ranger here. He said that as long as you keep on the state maintained portion of the road which consists of the road and 7' of shoulder, you'll be fine, stray off of those and you could be in hot water.

-muzz3256

Post imported post

If you do have to leave the "safe" road, couldn't you just unload and put your gun in the trunk? Fall back to the Federal transportation rules?

TFred

Post imported post

I am not sure, but I think that only applies to interstate transport of a firearm.

Post imported post

Decoligny wrote:
    I am not sure, but I think that only applies to interstate transport of a firearm.
    IIRC, The Late President Regan got us the ability to carry unloaded cased firearms into our National Parks.
    It is probably somewhere in this thread.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/19233.html
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin