• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped at the Sheridan Wal-Mart for OC

Term

imported post

Sunday, April 5th I was stopped at the Sheridan Wal-Mart by the door greeter. He asked if I was carrying a real gun. I told him yes at which time he told me I would have to wait were I was while he went and got management.

After a few minutes a CSM who I know comes up to me and says "your the one?" I am the one what I asked. "The one with the gun" I said yes and then she asked me if I was working and what I did. What ever that was supposed to mean.

About 10 minutes later here comes this manager. First thing she asks me is if I am a cop. No I say. Then she asks if I have a permit to carry. No I say, Wyoming does not require a permit to open carry. She asks me why would I carry a gun then. I tell her I am exercising my right to carry a gun and that I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. At that time she tells me she was from another state, does not like guns and I was not coming in the Wal-Mart. I told her I carry every where else in town with no problems and have carried in the store many times with no problems.

To make a long story short I placed a call to home office in which they could not help me with Wal-Marts policy. All I was told is a person can carry in their store as long as they have a legal permit to carry. I told them Wyoming does not require a permit to open carry and does this fall under that rule. No one could answer my question.

Tonight I got a call from one of the Co Managers and we talked in length and at the end of the conversation she told me she was from Washington and thanked me for explaining how things work in Wyoming. However she said they still do not have a answer and that this has been referred to Wal-Marts legal team for explanation.

Hopefully I will get a call in a few days with what the deal is.

Term

HardChrome

imported post

Term wrote:
Then she asks if I have a permit to carry. No I say, Wyoming does not require a permit to open carry.
I get this occasionally in Virginia which has is pretty much the same. Open carry is allowed period.

My response to "Do you have a permit...?" Is not that it's not required but that it doesn't exist in Virgina. Same when asked, "Is that registered?" Registration in Virginia doesn't exist. Telling them that voids their argument that you should have a permit, etc. Hard to argue when it does not exist.

As an aside, I used to have a registered weapon. It fired 650 rounds per minute of .223 Remington. Woohoo! :)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

If the return call from the manager is unsatisfactory, my suggestion is that you go up the chain- division manager, etc.

In the many posts here on OCDO regarding OC in Wal-Mart, that method has not failed to produce support for forms of carry legal in the state in question.

j2l3

imported post

Term wrote:
Tonight I got a call from one of the Co Managers and we talked in length and at the end of the conversation she told me she was from Washington and thanked me for explaining how things work in Wyoming.

Washington is the same way. No permit required, nor exists, for open carry. It is simply a legal activity. Her being from Washington is no excuse since the law is the same.

Term

imported post

I think this is a simple case of people not knowing what is going on. Im sure it will all be cleared up in the next few days.

You have to look at the good that comes out of the bad. A few more people will be educated on this subject.

Majorpain

imported post

I always open carry in Riverton , Wy Wallmart. I have never had any problems out of any employees there. I believe this question has come up on this forum once before. I have a friend that was an assistant manager forRiverton's Wallmart about two years ago. I asked him what the policy was on a customer carrying a firearm ,he told me "It is the policy ofWallmart to abide bylocal law's and to fit the needsof there customers" Wyoming is an open carry state with norestrictions other than federal(no Fed building's or post office schools etc.)and the need's of a customerto defend one's self or family if the need arises (hopefully never).

Even with my CCW I always exercise my right to open carry, I also have exta copys of CCW permitapplications in my vheicle for where ever I may go. I give them to people who ask how to get one and also fill them in on as much as I possibly can about the alternative (open carry) Do's and Dont's.

I believe that now more than ever people should be exercising there rights.I hope this was help full to you or anyone else.

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater."
-- Peter Venetoklis

inhoc_z28

imported post

Hmmmm,I live in Sheridan andI open carry into wal-mart at least 5 times a week. I was in there twice today actually. I have never had anyone give me more than a second glance. Thats really wierd that they stopped you. I have been going in there for years with no problems at all.

Term

imported post

I got final word on this and it was a matter of people being confused and not knowing.

You can open carry in the wal-mart. But if a CUSTOMER complains they will ask you to cover it up or secure it outside the store.

bobcat

imported post

This is a bogus excuse to force anyone they don't like to not OC or any manager to just say 'a customer complained'.

This has been discussed at considerable length here WRT MamaLiberty's experience with the Rapid City Walmart. She went up the chain of command and got something of an answer...

The bottom line is that Wallyworlds corp policy is to abide by each state's laws (or lack thereof) concerning carrying a firearm.

Term, do a search on MamaLiberty and Rapid City and you'll come up with the thread...

Lew

imported post

inhoc_z28 wrote:
Hmmmm,I live in Sheridan andI open carry into wal-mart at least 5 times a week. I was in there twice today actually.
5 times a week? Get a life! :p

You know, I've never noticed anyone in Sheridan OC. Do you know/see that many?

AB

imported post

inhoc_z28 wrote:
...I have been going in there for years with no problems at all...

On 4-8-2009, WyGO got involved in this matter when Term was told he could not carry, as I went up the chain of command the regional management stated there is a "no firearms at all" policy, not even concealed-carry.

Let me tell you there are some anti-gun people working in Walmart.

FYI the Casper store gave me a similar answer.

I personally spoke with multiple parties within Walmart but what is important is the Sheridan store manager stuck with this issue till he got to the truth.

I give this store manager an A+++ for working through this issue.

He also said he would call the Casper store and fill them in.

Everyone that OC's in Sheridan should thank this manager, if anyone would like his name just PM myself or Term for it.

The policy follows the state that the store is in, they do reserve the right to ask you to cover the gun or remove it from the store if they get a complaint.

Of course we already knew this, we just had to get the store on the same page.

inhoc_z28

imported post

Lew wrote:
inhoc_z28 wrote:
Hmmmm,I live in Sheridan andI open carry into wal-mart at least 5 times a week. I was in there twice today actually.
5 times a week? Get a life! :p

You know, I've never noticed anyone in Sheridan OC. Do you know/see that many?
haha, maybe not 5 times a week, but it sure seems like it a lot of the time... I have not seen anyone OC here in a few years. I know there are people that do it, but I just have not ran into them.

AB

imported post

Walmart managers don't know store policyand theyreally don't care to know!

Well folks, after helping getting this issue cleared up in Sheridan, we now have the same thing in Cheyenne.

I was approached by two assistant managers and was told that I would have to leave the store.

They told me that the store policyis that "no guns at all were allowed in the store, not even concealed carry was allowed".

I told them that I have personally been involved in this issue at Walmart stores around the state and started to explain to them what the policy was, however they didn't want to hear it and I was then told that "you will have to leave or we will call the police".

These two managers followed me to the front and I asked them if I could find my wife and they told me ""they couldn't have me in the store".

I tried to tell them "really, I have clarified the policy at other Walmart stores in Wyoming" and they again stated to me that "you have to leave or we will call the police".

While I am not sure, this is probably another case of managers that come from other states that prohibit OC and really don't know Walmart policy.

Either way they are part of the anti-gun crowd and will beat us down every chance they get.

The part that I find so irritating is that I have went above and beyond to know without a doubt what Walmart policy is.

I left the store and waited for my wife at the car, I felt that if I had covered and CCed that these same bozo's would have come for round two since they stated that you couldn't even CC in the store.

The Assistant managers names are Bebe and Jeremiah and this happened at 9:35 pm on friday 5-8-09

The Store is Cheyenne #1315 and the phone number is 307-632-4330, please call and ask for the store manager and politely tell them about our position and that of Walmart's HQ.

We must let them know collectively how we feel about this directly at the store level, I will also work on this similarly to the Sheridan and Casper stores.

Please do not reply to this post here - go to thread:
"Cheyenne Walmart"
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum58/25638.html

AB

imported post

Walmart Manager Took Action to Correct Wrong

Problem resolved, the manager in Sheridan helped to quickly resolve this matter in Cheyenne.

Folks that frequent the Sheridan store need to personally thank "Ron" the store manager for his efforts.

Please do so and give us a report back, remember a little thanks goes a long way.

AB

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

they do reserve the right to ask you to cover the gun or remove it from the store if they get a complaint.
If asked to cover-up have another party complain to the management about employees hassling a man/woman with a gun and requiring they conceal it which may be a violation of law.