• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will the GA override King Kaine's vetoes ?

fairfax1

imported post

hometheaterman wrote:
Is their a site where you can find out the contact info for your local congressman?
http://capwiz.com/gunowners/home/

Just plug in your zip code and then it will give you the direct contact info.

I have personally found that you get a better chance at getting a response if you use your senators official web form or direct email as opposed to Capwiz or any other third party "email your rep" tool.

darthmord

imported post

Apparently Miller & Northam don't 'get it'. Guess it's time to demand a clear explanation of why they feel I should not be able to carry concealed while dining out at a store that chose to get an ABC onwhen I'm NOT drinking anything alcoholic.

alnitak

imported post

darthmord wrote:
Apparently Miller & Northam don't 'get it'. Guess it's time to demand a clear explanation of why they feel I should not be able to carry concealed while dining out at a store that chose to get an ABC onwhen I'm NOT drinking anything alcoholic.

I'm fed up with my represenative, Herring. I've sent him a number of letters prior to this, yet he continues to vote against common sense. Here's my latest to him:

Dear Senator Herring,

I am disappointed to see that you voted against SB 1035, yet again. I really don't understand how you can support retired police officers carrying, and drinking, in a restaurant, but vote to deny other law-abiding citizens the same right, even with the provision of no alcohol allowed! The rhetoric expounded by the Governor of fearsof gunfights breaking out have no basis in reality. In fact, Virginians have been able to carry, and drink, in restaurants openly for years, yet there have been no instances like those portrayed in emotional,and illogical, responses from the Governor. Do you really buy those arguments or do you want to prevent honest citizens from protecting themselves for other reasons? Why do you think some select groups are allowed to carry and others, who have gone through training and background checks, are not? Your position, sir, is hypocritical at best and smacks of elitism.

In these times, I have found that a representative's position on 2nd Amendment rights is a bell-weather indicator of many other issues that are important to me. You can be assured that I will look to other candidates to represent me in the next election.

Sincerely,

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Dear Mark -

I am concerned about my safety and that of my family even if you are not. You would not vote to overturn the Governors veto that would allow me to carry my concealed handgun in a restaurant that serves alcohol yet you voted for retired police officers to be allowed to carry AND drink?

That is veryhypocritical of you.

I would not have had a problem if you voted no for both or yes for both. The fact that you voted the way you did is whatbothers me. You put more value on a retired police officer's life than you do on mine.

I think you were wrong to do so and wanted you to know how I feel.

Sincerely,

Ed

ed

imported post

Dear Mr. Levine,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on gun control. I appreciate your thoughts on this important issue.

I realize that there are very strong opinions on both sides of the debate around Second Amendment rights. I support public policies that ensure the responsible and appropriate use of guns, as well as efforts to reduce gun-related crimes through increased enforcement and background checks. I do not, however, support laws or regulations that infringe on the Second Amendment Constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms.

In the United States Senate, legislationon gun control generally falls under the jurisdiction of the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am not a member. Please be assured that I value the thoughts that you have shared with me on this important issue.I will keep your views in mind should any legislation on this matter come before the full Senate in the future.

Again, thank you for writing. As we move forward in the 111[size=th][/size] Congress, please continue to contact me with your opinions and concerns.

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator

TexasNative

imported post

You almost had me going there for a minute, Ed. It took me until the second paragraph of the Warner response before I figured out that it wasn't from Herring.

Of course, if Herring had actually responded that quickly, I'd probably have to go to the hospital to have my broken arm set after falling out of my chair. Or something like that.

~ Boyd

TFred

imported post

ed wrote:
Dear Mr. Levine,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on gun control. I appreciate your thoughts on this important issue.

I realize that there are very strong opinions on both sides of the debate around Second Amendment rights. I support public policies that ensure the responsible and appropriate use of guns, as well as efforts to reduce gun-related crimes through increased enforcement and background checks. I do not, however, support laws or regulations that infringe on the Second Amendment Constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms.

In the United States Senate, legislationon gun control generally falls under the jurisdiction of the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am not a member. Please be assured that I value the thoughts that you have shared with me on this important issue.I will keep your views in mind should any legislation on this matter come before the full Senate in the future.

Again, thank you for writing. As we move forward in the 111[size=th] Congress, please continue to contact me with your opinions and concerns.

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator
And this is the very same Senator Mark Warner that voted to confirm Eric Holder as the Attorney General of the United States. Today is a Thursday, that vote must have been on a Tuesday. Or something like that, equally ridiculous....

TFred

ed

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
You almost had me going there for a minute, Ed. It took me until the second paragraph of the Warner response before I figured out that it wasn't from Herring.

Of course, if Herring had actually responded that quickly, I'd probably have to go to the hospital to have my broken arm set after falling out of my chair. Or something like that.

~ Boyd
OMG.. I was HAD. I did not realize that either.. I figured one of Mark's interns sent me a canned gun response.. I did not even read it.. lol.

TexasNative

imported post

Heh. A less charitable soul might suggest that you actually read emails before you post them to the boards, but I understand that as a Marine, that would be too much to ask of you. Especially since your lips would get tired and your fingertip would get sore from all that reading.

~ Your favorite squid, Boyd

ed

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
A less charitable soul might suggest that you actually read emails before you post them to the boards, but I understand that as a Marine, that would be too much to ask of you. Especially since your lips would get tired and your fingertip would get sore from all that reading.

~ Your favorite squid, Boyd
Thank god you are not a "less charitable soul" (whatever that means). I owe you ;-)

Ed

former US Marine Corps, a Department of the Navy

(The men's department)

hsmith

imported post

Looks like the legislature supports stolen firearms (forcing patrons to leave their firearms in the car) and arming criminals, just like the governor.

Support stolen guns and sexual assault, vote Democrat!