Thread: FOIA request guidelines

Post imported post

Is anyone else having trouble with the search? I'm looking for a posted FOIA letter but when I search, all i can find is FOIA in the text of a posting. I know I've seen a letter attached in someones post. Any got a sample letter I can use?

Post imported post

Google foo!

try the "sitepencarry.mywowbb.com" to restrict to OCDO, you can do "intitle:virginia" to search VA

example:

sitepencarry.mywowbb.com "How to make FOIA requests " virginia
    and for your query:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ighlight=mayor

Post imported post

Well, my google skills just got a little better. Thanks much!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Also, it never hurts to have these links in your favorites folder:

VA FOIA: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...37000000000000

ยง 2.2-3704. Public records to be open to inspection; procedure for requesting records and responding to request; charges. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+2.2-3704

B. A request for public records shall identify the requested records with reasonable specificity. The request need not make reference to this chapter in order to invoke the provisions of this chapter or to impose the time limits for response by a public body. Any public body that is subject to this chapter and that is the custodian of the requested records shall promptly, but in all cases within five working days of receiving a request, provide the requested records to the requester or make one of the following responses in writing:

1. The requested records are being entirely withheld because their release is prohibited by law or the custodian has exercised his discretion to withhold the records in accordance with this chapter. Such response shall identify with reasonable particularity the volume and subject matter of withheld records, and cite, as to each category of withheld records, the specific Code section that authorizes the withholding of the records.

2. The requested records are being provided in part and are being withheld in part because the release of part of the records is prohibited by law or the custodian has exercised his discretion to withhold a portion of the records in accordance with this chapter. Such response shall identify with reasonable particularity the subject matter of withheld portions, and cite, as to each category of withheld records, the specific Code section that authorizes the withholding of the records. When a portion of a requested record is withheld, the public body may delete or excise only that portion of the record to which an exemption applies and shall release the remainder of the record.

3. The requested records could not be found or do not exist. However, if the public body that received the request knows that another public body has the requested records, the response shall include contact information for the other public body.

4. It is not practically possible to provide the requested records or to determine whether they are available within the five-work-day period. Such response shall specify the conditions that make a response impossible. If the response is made within five working days, the public body shall have an additional seven work days in which to provide one of the four preceding responses.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Here are a couple of links that will help anybody that wants to submit a FOIA.

http://dls.state.va.us/foiacouncil.htm

http://www.opengovva.org/
    'Till the last landings made, and we stand unafraid, on a shore not mortal has seen,
    'Till the last bugle call, sounds taps for us all,
    It's Semper Fidelis, MARINE!