Thread: SVSU - weapons policy...

Post imported post

from student conduct page... http://www.svsu.edu/oncampus/current...f-conduct.html

u. Weapons: The possession or use on University property or in approved housing of any weapons such as, but not limited to, firearms, ammunition, pellet guns, airguns, knives, blades, chemicals or explosives, including firecrackers, is prohibited unless authorized in writing by the Chief of University Police. A harmless instrument designed to look like a weapon that is used by or is in the possession of a person with the intent to cause fear in or assault to another person is expressly included within the meaning of weapons. Saginaw Valley State University has adopted a Weapons Policy. It is necessary for students to become familiar with the policy which can be found at http://www.svsu.edu/operationsmanual/manual.cfm?doc_id=1820 .

So... I have an event coming up where I will be providing equipment and such to them. It will be outdoors in their courtyard. I would not be there as a student, I have not been a student there in 4 years. Would this apply to me still?

Post imported post

If the atmosphere's anything like it is up here at MTU you'll probably still get detained, or forced to leave. If not arrested and charged with some misc. charges.

I don't think it's a crime it's just against their rules. That's just my view, I look forward to other answers !

I guess what I'm saying is that it's probably a bad idea. You can always call ahead and get "permission" to exercise your right

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I think the only places that can pass binding ordinances are colleges with Regents that are elected. UM, MSU, and Wayne are the only ones.

According to this http://www.svsu.edu/operationsmanual...ns-policy.html

the worst they could do is fire you if this is job related and you're a contractor.

Post imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
    I think the only places that can pass binding ordinances are colleges with Regents that are elected. UM, MSU, and Wayne are the only ones.

the worst they could do is fire you if this is job related and you're a contractor.
    haha. you're awesome. you found a link that i didn't see. plus it states...

1. Non-University personnel who are required by their employers to possess and/or use such weapons, devices or substances in the performance of their official duties.

Well... I'm the company owner and I require me to carry on all events we do ;-) lol

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I guess you're set, then. Just keep it quiet and there shouldn't be any problems.

Post imported post

lol. i'll make sure to speak with the university police before it happens and explain to them what is going on, so the event doesn't get shut down. that would be bad.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

... this will not go well. They almost assuredly won't buy it. Give it a shot, though, I look forward to hearing their response.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Rogue9er wrote:

I'm not so sure about this.

Per MCL 123.1102, a local form of gov't has to be specifically authorized to limit further than state law. Is there a list of specifically authorized local gov'ts?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

viperar15 wrote:
    from student conduct page... http://www.svsu.edu/oncampus/current...f-conduct.html

u. Weapons: The possession or use on University property or in approved housing of any weapons such as, but not limited to, firearms, ammunition, pellet guns, airguns, knives, blades, chemicals or explosives, including firecrackers, is prohibited unless authorized in writing by the Chief of University Police. A harmless instrument designed to look like a weapon that is used by or is in the possession of a person with the intent to cause fear in or assault to another person is expressly included within the meaning of weapons. Saginaw Valley State University has adopted a Weapons Policy. It is necessary for students to become familiar with the policy which can be found at http://www.svsu.edu/operationsmanual/manual.cfm?doc_id=1820 .

So... I have an event coming up where I will be providing equipment and such to them. It will be outdoors in their courtyard. I would not be there as a student, I have not been a student there in 4 years. Would this apply to me still?
    My opinoins only.

Colleges are not listed in the definition of a local government so preemption may not apply. If the above is a POLICY and not an ordinance then all you could be asked to do is secure your weapon or leave. No firearm violation.

If they have an ordinance you may be charged with a crime. As of yet we don't know of any case law where preemption was challenged in regards to a college gun ban ordinance.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

What Ventator Said. I think only colleges with Regents can pass ordinances, and whether or not this counts as a unit of government has never been tested. Truth is, most prosecutors don't want to find out, either.

Post imported post

thanks guys.

my first step will still be to the university police beforehand and speak to them about it, since i will be contracted in by a student organization to provide services for a day/evening that could involve anywhere from 50 people to 1000 people being around.

Post imported post

viperar15 wrote:
    my first step will still be to the university police beforehand and speak to them about it . . .
    Don't be surprised if you get the default PD answer: "no". You might want to contact the relevant prosecutor's office instead. It is their call on whether or notthey would try toprosecute, and generally speaking prosecutionopinion and guidance is what drivesmuch of aPD's enforcement activity.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi