• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SVSU - weapons policy...

viperar15

imported post

from student conduct page... http://www.svsu.edu/oncampus/current-students/residential-life-conduct-procedures/code-of-conduct.html

u. Weapons: The possession or use on University property or in approved housing of any weapons such as, but not limited to, firearms, ammunition, pellet guns, airguns, knives, blades, chemicals or explosives, including firecrackers, is prohibited unless authorized in writing by the Chief of University Police. A harmless instrument designed to look like a weapon that is used by or is in the possession of a person with the intent to cause fear in or assault to another person is expressly included within the meaning of weapons. Saginaw Valley State University has adopted a Weapons Policy. It is necessary for students to become familiar with the policy which can be found at http://www.svsu.edu/operationsmanual/manual.cfm?doc_id=1820 .

So... I have an event coming up where I will be providing equipment and such to them. It will be outdoors in their courtyard. I would not be there as a student, I have not been a student there in 4 years. Would this apply to me still?

jwelters

imported post

If the atmosphere's anything like it is up here at MTU you'll probably still get detained, or forced to leave. If not arrested and charged with some misc. charges.

I don't think it's a crime it's just against their rules. That's just my view, I look forward to other answers !

I guess what I'm saying is that it's probably a bad idea. You can always call ahead and get "permission" to exercise your:banghead: right:banghead:

viperar15

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
I think the only places that can pass binding ordinances are colleges with Regents that are elected. UM, MSU, and Wayne are the only ones.

According to this http://www.svsu.edu/operationsmanual/general-operations/general-operations-ii/47-1-weapons-policy.html

the worst they could do is fire you if this is job related and you're a contractor.

haha. you're awesome. you found a link that i didn't see. plus it states...

1. Non-University personnel who are required by their employers to possess and/or use such weapons, devices or substances in the performance of their official duties.
Well... I'm the company owner and I require me to carry on all events we do ;-) lol

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
I think the only places that can pass binding ordinances are colleges with Regents that are elected. UM, MSU, and Wayne are the only ones.

According to this http://www.svsu.edu/operationsmanua...eneral-operations-ii/47-1-weapons-policy.html

the worst they could do is fire you if this is job related and you're a contractor.

I'm not so sure about this.

Per MCL 123.1102, a local form of gov't has to be specifically authorized to limit further than state law. Is there a list of specifically authorized local gov'ts?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

viperar15 wrote:
from student conduct page... http://www.svsu.edu/oncampus/current-students/residential-life-conduct-procedures/code-of-conduct.html

u. Weapons: The possession or use on University property or in approved housing of any weapons such as, but not limited to, firearms, ammunition, pellet guns, airguns, knives, blades, chemicals or explosives, including firecrackers, is prohibited unless authorized in writing by the Chief of University Police. A harmless instrument designed to look like a weapon that is used by or is in the possession of a person with the intent to cause fear in or assault to another person is expressly included within the meaning of weapons. Saginaw Valley State University has adopted a Weapons Policy. It is necessary for students to become familiar with the policy which can be found at http://www.svsu.edu/operationsmanual/manual.cfm?doc_id=1820 .

So... I have an event coming up where I will be providing equipment and such to them. It will be outdoors in their courtyard. I would not be there as a student, I have not been a student there in 4 years. Would this apply to me still?
My opinoins only.

Colleges are not listed in the definition of a local government so preemption may not apply. If the above is a POLICY and not an ordinance then all you could be asked to do is secure your weapon or leave. No firearm violation.

If they have an ordinance you may be charged with a crime. As of yet we don't know of any case law where preemption was challenged in regards to a college gun ban ordinance.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What Ventator Said. I think only colleges with Regents can pass ordinances, and whether or not this counts as a unit of government has never been tested. Truth is, most prosecutors don't want to find out, either.

viperar15

imported post

thanks guys.

my first step will still be to the university police beforehand and speak to them about it, since i will be contracted in by a student organization to provide services for a day/evening that could involve anywhere from 50 people to 1000 people being around.

DanM

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
my first step will still be to the university police beforehand and speak to them about it . . .
Don't be surprised if you get the default PD answer: "no". You might want to contact the relevant prosecutor's office instead. It is their call on whether or notthey would try toprosecute, and generally speaking prosecutionopinion and guidance is what drivesmuch of aPD's enforcement activity.