• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained for OC

v8shoguy

imported post

Pardon any omitted facts as I'm still mad about the incident...

Shopping at WalMart at 1am, needed some r-134 for a car I'm working on. I was there getting the same thing 3 hours ago, found out I needed more so I went back. No problem in the store whatsoever. Talked to the cashier about how it's crazy that you have to be 18 to but compressed air but not R-134...

Greeter checked my receipt on the way out the door, told him have a nice night. I saw him 2 nights ago as well, I'm sure he recognized me. Got out to the car, started backing up and saw a cruiser heading my way with all his lights off. Yep.

My method of carry: Strong side IWB, sweatshirt tucked behind. Full-frame Taurus PT1911. It's obvious what it is. Sweatshirt did not fall over it. It was still like that when the officer removed it from my holster. Don't judge, my primary carry piece is out on loan to a close friend who is in-between handguns and no paddle holsters fit the 1911 (rail is too big). I have a CCDW permit.

6 cars. Yes 6. It was obvious that I was not free to leave. Walmart called me in on a MWAG. They stopped me in the parking lot. The first thing out of my mouth was, "Seriously, in a parking lot?" I informed of CCDW status. I got the "Keep your hands where I can see them while you get out of the car" which is IMPOSSIBLE if you follow KY state law (Click it or Ticket). The officer has me turn to face the car while he disarms me. They start to put the handgun on the trunk and I told them no way, it'll scratch the paint. They didn't like that. He asks for my CCDW and License, I got the "Concealed means Concealed" speech, the "I'm a $1000 member of the NRA" speech, the Disorderly Conduct/Inducing Panic/Causing Alarm speech, the OMG it was cocked reaction (1911 duh! I can't believe this reaction from people who carry a gun for a living). The officer told me to calm down a couple of times even though I wasn't being unreasonable with my tone. There were several training officers present, I'm pretty sure there were 2 trainees as well. I got the names of the 2 officers closer to me. They promised to take me to jail if they got another call on me tonight, I promised that I would be contacting their supervisor.

I will also be contacting WalMart. Nobody asked me to leave, nor was is apparent that any of the people that I talked to were in any unsettled about the situation inside the store. As far as I can tell, I am still welcomed in the store, as no member of management/Loss Prevention/Cashier/Stockboy asked me to leave. I was abiding by state law, much to the dismay of the officers. They told me I can't OC because someone who is not familiar with guns could panic. He said that his wife and daughther would have reacted the same way.

Guess what, I came back clean. They berated me some more for excercising my rights. I pointed out to them that there were 6 people standing around me, all OC. They asked me to open the trunk so they could put the weapon in it. I refused to open the trunk. They laid it on the ground behind the car.

I called the Supervisor, he backed up the actions of the officers. He said they have to respond to a MWAG call with every available officer. I asked him if anyone made a distinction between a man waving a gun over his head and one who has his holstered, as mine was. He said it doesn't make a difference.

I will be calling the legal affairs office tomorrow to get whatever footage I can. I already know that if I had done anything wrong that I would have gone for a ride, I've had that tried on me before (Jeff Co Sheriff), along with the threat that if they saw me OC again that I wouldn't beat that ride. A law-abiding citizen shouldn't have to put up with threats from the Gov't when, in fact, no crime has been committed.

Next step?

The last time I was checked out for peek-a-boo (on the motorcycle, shirt flew up) the weapon was never unholstered, LEO put his hand on the backstrap while I reached for my wallet. Got out the CCDW, the officer mentioned something about retention and I was on my way. One unmarked cruiser. This time could have gone the same way, but for whatever reason it didn't.

hobbles

imported post

popc1.gif

JohnKelly

imported post

Sounds like conspiracy for deprivation of rights between Wal-Mart and the Middletown P.D.

v8shoguy

imported post

dtabb wrote:
Where, exactly, did this happen?
Middletown Walmart, 8th Police District.

Waiting for a call back from Metro PD.

I just got off the phone with WalMart. It was a customer that made the MWAG call. Dispatch called the management, management gave them my description and it was noted that I wasn't reaching for it, brandishing, waving it over my head, trying to rob the place, etc. Manager suggested that I carry concealed (Former FL resident). He mentioned something about carrying within a certain distance of a bank (they have a bank inside) but I told him that I carry in my bank all the time so he dropped that one. He mentioned something about WM being private property and that he would prefer that I leave it in the car, I asked him about posting it at the entrance but he declined. He said management wouldn't have done anything as I wasn't threatening.

As far as I am concerned, my issue with Walmart is over. He told me that when he heard about the incident this morning that he knew I would be a bit steamed. When I told him about my treatment in the parking lot, he agreed that it shouldn't have happened like that.

So now it's down to Metro PD and their handling of a MWAG call.

v8shoguy

imported post

hobbles wrote:
Middletown, Is that in Ohio?
Should have clarified... Middletown is in Jefferson Co, KY. I should have said East End in Louisville.

FLMason

imported post

I have noticed ever since that story came out that there was going to be a gang initiation there has been more calls from walmart cust or management

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

It's in both.

Middletown, OH is midway between Cincinnati and Dayton.

Middletown, KY is near Louisville.

Google Maps is your friend.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

v8shoguy wrote:
dtabb wrote:
Where, exactly, did this happen?
Middletown Walmart, 8th Police District.

Waiting for a call back from Metro PD.

I just got off the phone with WalMart. It was a customer that made the MWAG call. Dispatch called the management, management gave them my description and it was noted that I wasn't reaching for it, brandishing, waving it over my head, trying to rob the place, etc. Manager suggested that I carry concealed (Former FL resident). He mentioned something about carrying within a certain distance of a bank (they have a bank inside) but I told him that I carry in my bank all the time so he dropped that one. He mentioned something about WM being private property and that he would prefer that I leave it in the car, I asked him about posting it at the entrance but he declined. He said management wouldn't have done anything as I wasn't threatening.

As far as I am concerned, my issue with Walmart is over. He told me that when he heard about the incident this morning that he knew I would be a bit steamed. When I told him about my treatment in the parking lot, he agreed that it shouldn't have happened like that.

So now it's down to Metro PD and their handling of a MWAG call.

And theirtotal lack of reasonable suspicion, etc.

Are you familiar with this incident?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/23248.html

Keep us posted.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

First, use a freedom of information-like request to get all relevant documents, tapes, communications, etc.BEFORE filing a complaint.

Then, fileaFORMAL complaint, get a form (which they surely have), don't accept stories that "If you just tell me,I'll take care of it".

tito887

imported post

edit-oops my bad.

sorry to hear that. Here we are giving out all our positive stories and you get hassled. They're in the wrong. Maybe we need to do some sort of open carry meet up in downtown louisville. or right next to the pd.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

tito887 wrote:
v8shoguy wrote:
ENTIRE POST QUOTED
sorry to hear that. Here we are giving out all our positive stories and you get hassled. They're in the wrong. Maybe we need to do some sort of open carry meet up in downtown louisville. or right next to the pd.
Suggestion - use "Reply" instead of "Quote", or use "Quote" and simply delete the bulk of the post you are quoting when your intention is merely to reply as you have.

Doing sosaves bandwidth and screen space.

MgoBlue

imported post

v8shoguy,

Please keep us posted what you learn today from LMPD. Who are you attempting to speak with? What approach are you taking in order to get their attention? If this goes nowhere in the next day, or so, let me know . . . and I'll hook you up with folks in the higher echelons. Of course, I would like you to try the formal communication channels first.

Reg

BB62

Accomplished Advocate